Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captions panel, Align and Transform is not working

Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2021-06-14 at 1.44.24 PM.png

Hello, I've successfully used the panel in the past but it's not working anymore. I edited a video June 1st and was not able to repostiion the caption to right. I returned from vacation today June 14th and it still does not work. I have to complete this taks for work. Please advise. Thank you. 

TOPICS
Effects and Titles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is with the captions panel in Premiere Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need to know what version of PR you are using. The caption workflow changed a lot with PR 2021 (version 15.x).

I have not seen a problem with alignment in either version.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2021-06-14 at 4.57.28 PM.png

 Hi Stan, Above is a snapshot of the version I'm using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan, Attached is a video demonstration of the caption transform option not working. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan, For some I can postion the text on the right of the screen if it is right justified, however I need to follow brand guidelines and have the captions left justified, on the right of the screen. Any advice? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kinda weird, yea?

I found if I selected the text line in the EGP while in the Captions workspace, I could see the text box. I resized it manually to over to the right side of the screen. Then I could use the left-align option for the text itself, saved this to a style.

Try that .. .see if you can make it work.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Neil. Your suggestion worked, however the captions panel seems to freeze the software often, hopefully there will be an update soon.  Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They do say they know this needs a LOT of work yet. Sure does.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit: added this line after writing the below: What Neil said! He captured it all in a lot fewer words!

The positioning controls work as described, but there are some limits - and they are not always described. Be careful with the workflow I suggest. Backups, backups. I'm still sorting this out!

In case you have not seen this, in the user guide, see the section under Stylize Captions -> 2 Change Font -> Paragraph alignment.

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/user-guide.html/premiere-pro/using/working-with-captions.ug.htm...

As Neil says, the text/bounding box is critical in how this works. You have already set your zone to bottom right. You are trying to drag the "Set horizontal position" to the right, but it is at its max right position. You could drag it to the left, which would move the entire text box to the left.

When you use zones, they default to the justification that was determined to be most logical. Zone bottom left - justify left; Zone bottom middle - justify center; and Zone bottom right - justify right. So just change the justification, right? Well, the justification goes to the TEXT BOX limit. So with Zone bottom right, the text box is as far as it will go to the right, as shown by right justified text. When you change it to left justified, the text moves to the left-most side of the box. I have no idea how the size of the default text box is determined.

To get what you want, use the "Set horizontal size" control to reduce the text box until the left justified text gets where you want it. You'll need to determine what the max line size is. You can set a Track Style that will repeat this setting for all captions on the track. If the box is too small for text you add, it will word wrap within that box. I don't know whether your task would be easier or harder if you rely on word wrap for all your lines, or add lines manually.

If you edit individual caption segments, be careful, because applying the track style after such edits will overwrite them.

Let us know how this works for you.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There's SO much about this that we're all still figuring out. Some things definitely need changed, and some things we seem to simply have to puzzle out. Sigh.

But beautiful delineation of what's happening here!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines