• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captions placing single word on one line

New Here ,
Dec 09, 2022 Dec 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I searched, but perhaps I used the wrong terms because I cannot find a solution to this.

The captions work great in full 16:9 mode. However, when the sequence settings are changed to 9:16, no matter what I do with the captions, they keep putting one single word on a line for no reason.

I have changed font-size, width of the whole captions area, and more. Nothing seems to fix this. How do I stop it from breaking up paragraphs in this odd way?

Thank you!

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 09, 2022 Dec 09, 2022

The captions from the horizontal version do not by themselves wordwrap. They are separate lines. And that also means they cannot be merged with other lines if they are split. Let's say the new, vertical orientation line maximum is between the L's in "fellow." So PR breaks, by word wrap, that word (at thebeginning of the word) and same for the next line.

What would be required would be a feature that takes your horizontal captions and reconfigures them for vertical. PR does not do that so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more image so you can see that this weird one-word thing has nothign to do with punctuation or word-size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is happening is that the font size/line length is too long for the narrower shape - and a line that is too long word wraps. This is a common problem when putting captions on vertical footage.

You can reduce the font size, reformat to more lines, or design the captions in the vertical format and then they will fit in the wider horizontal format. You could also expand the caption bounding box, but I think you have already maxed it here.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply!

My challenge is the placing of the auto word-wrap makes no sense. It does those single-word breaks in the middle of a line, when there is no split in the captions themselves.

I've included a screenshot to show you what I mean. Why is "fellow" on a line all by itself?

So we have no idea why it chooses completely random words to split on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The captions from the horizontal version do not by themselves wordwrap. They are separate lines. And that also means they cannot be merged with other lines if they are split. Let's say the new, vertical orientation line maximum is between the L's in "fellow." So PR breaks, by word wrap, that word (at thebeginning of the word) and same for the next line.

What would be required would be a feature that takes your horizontal captions and reconfigures them for vertical. PR does not do that so far.

If your project is short, I would just edit them. If not, I would export srt from the horizontal, and use Subtitle Edit or similar to reconfigure them. Then reimport.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the explanation. 🙂 Have a great weekend!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines