• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captions too long

Explorer ,
Jul 24, 2022 Jul 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have short chunks of narration with long pauses. PP is generating accurate closed captions BUT the captions stay on the screen throughout the silences, until the next chunk of narration comes along.  They should disappear after the viewer has read them. 

There is a minimum length setting but not a maximum length setting. 

Short,of manually trimming every caption, is there a way to fix this problem?

Bug Unresolved

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
9 Comments
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know whether precise timing of when speech ends is a feature to be expected. But the results I just got in the Beta are odd. So I won't comment on whether you can get any closer to your goal in PR at the moment. I suspect that you cannot. In any event, I understand the issue you are seeing, and, for now, we're looking for a workaround.

I hope you're on PC, because the tool I like best for this, Subtitle Edit, is PC only.

Export the captions as srt. Open in Subtitle Edit. First set your preferences: Options -> Settings -> General. I think you will only need to set "Max. duration, milliseconds." The default is, I think, 5 seconds (5000). There are also settings for such things as "Max. chars/sec" - so play as you wish and let us know what you find.

Then use Tools -> "Fix common errors." Select at least "Fix long display times." It will show you what it proposes to fix, and you can select which fixes to apply.

Save as srt. In PR, disable the original caption track. Then "Import captions from file." You can only see one track's captions in the display, but you can compare what has changed by the segment lengths in the timeline.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  I'm on a Mac but I will take note of that PC solution.

I think the expected behaviour from Premiere Pro should be to leave subtitles on the screen from the cued moment for a maximum of n seconds, ideally user-configurable the way the minimum is, but probably 5-7 is about right. At the moment it leaves them up for ages and ages and this just looks dumb.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a bug of some sort. I'll report in on the Beta version, since that is where it will be fixed.

My test 54 minute sequence is composed on 16 instances of the same clip, and background noise may account for part of the issue. But in that sequence, I had 6 occurences of extremely long caption segments, as in 28 to 32 seconds in duration.

The Beta version is experimenting with detecting certain types of errors, but it did not detect these.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, do please report it.  Actually I think it is both a bug (because this is a dumb way to set the end of captions) and a missing feature (because the user should have control over the maximum duration).

This picture illustrates the problem quite nicely I think.   The bottom line is the narration, and the captions along the top line are generated from that.  You can see that some of the captions are absurdly long.

Screenshot 2022-07-25 at 16.22.05.png

Here is one such caption:

Screenshot 2022-07-25 at 16.24.26.png

Clearly no one would take 34 seconds to read nine words.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 21, 2023 Nov 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue has there been a fix for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 21, 2023 Nov 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was a recent post about this same sort of problem, but I cannot find a link.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 27, 2023 Nov 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

another user with same problem/concerns as OP.  A maxium limit on captions would be wonderful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 28, 2023 Nov 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seeing this, as well. Moving to Bugs.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 06, 2024 Feb 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Any updates. Having this issue for two years.
Best regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate