• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Capture panel disappeared from Premiere Pro 2022 - mac M1

Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed PPro 2022 on a mac M1 mini with OS Monteray. I have a Black Magic Ultrastudio 4k mini which is confirmed to be compatible both Premier and the Mac m1 mini and OS Monteray. 

Strangely, the capture panel is completely missing from the WORKSPACE dropdown menu in Premiere! Equally weird, it is also missing from the FILE drop down menu. Like, an entire workflow function has gone from Premiere. 

I have the exact same version of Premiere 2022 (2022.2) at home on an iMac mid 2017 running OS Catalina and guess what. The Capture panel is there in WORKSPACE and FILE dropdowns. 

What is going on ? Am I imagining things ?

CSL

TOPICS
Error or problem , Formats , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 11, 2022 Feb 11, 2022

Actually, found it:

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/premierepro-and-macos-big-sur.html

There are some differences in functionality and some features are not available with Premiere Pro on Apple M1.

• Capture workflows (DV, HDV, third-party capture support, and device control)

So this appears to be a known issue. You can run the non M1 version to capture your footage, then import into the M1 version if you prefer to use that one for now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try running the Intel version of Premiere 2022 on your M1 Mac and see if the capture panel shows correctly there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick reply Jeff !

I can try runnign the intel version for sure if I can find it. Is that possible to download from the list of "OTHER versions" in the CReative CLoud App tab ? Also, wouldn't that add other possible issues ? 

CSL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's where to download it. 

Remember, the only reason you are installing this version is to test if the capture panel shows correctly. If it does, the reason it is now showing is likely the M1 version vs the Intel one. If it doesn't, then the issue lies elsewhere. We're just troubleshooting at this point, I'm not saying this download will fix your problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, Thanks for the pathway to possible solutions. I won't hold you to an immediate fix, LOL. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You were right Jeff !

The capture  panel and File>Capture command are missing in the M1 version of PREMEIRE. 
So  Adobe must have made the decision to eliminate capturing video from their M1 code I guess ? They were present in the intel version on the same computer. 

But, of course, it isn't that easy. Now its an entirely new suite of issues. 

Premeire doesn't see the BM UltraStudio 4k mini in the hardware setups but ore screen and some key options for device control and device selection are not available in different preferences. The M1 mini does see the BM Ustudio 4k though and I can play soud and picture thorugh it and capture all day with the BM software. Adobe does support this unit and I have followed all the directions posted in ADOBe and BM docs to no avail. 

So maybe its just a no go with the particular combination of things I suppose. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 11, 2022 Feb 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've looked through previous Premiere release notes and I don't see any mention of the Capture functionality being removed from the M1 version of Premiere. (Though I just confirmed it's gone on my M1 device as well)

@Kevin-Monahan  do you know if there's anywhere this change is mentioned?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, found it:

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/premierepro-and-macos-big-sur.html

There are some differences in functionality and some features are not available with Premiere Pro on Apple M1.

• Capture workflows (DV, HDV, third-party capture support, and device control)

So this appears to be a known issue. You can run the non M1 version to capture your footage, then import into the M1 version if you prefer to use that one for now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhh, it's tied up in a Big Sur tagged doc. Thanks Jeff, that's thoughtful of you to close this thread with a pathway for people with a similar issue. 

I'm going to start a new thread regarding why the Intel version isn't actually capturing or recognising my compatible capture device. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2023 Sep 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just to be clear - I spoke with Adobe today and they told me you cannot capture footage through the non-M1 software and there is currently no solution to the problem. They said they are "working on it", but considering they have neglected this for 2 years...I'm personally not holding my breath. I'll be attemping this through other software and I will report back my findings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2023 Jan 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a fruitless search for the
missing Capture function in Premiere 23.x menues, and an officially documented reason, I reached Adobe support chat.

The reason…
Adobe stopped support for Capture via FireWire after OS Catalina!

(my configuration, MacOS Monterey, MacBook Air M1 2020, FireWire external device is not supported)

However:

* M1 Macs DO support FireWire legacy devices for current versions off Monterey and Ventura.
* iMovie and QuickTime still support FireWire externals
* Premiere DOES import clips from both

Solution Workflow:
Capture clips to iMovie. Import clips to Premiere 23.x projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the Intel version Premiere Pro on Mac Studio M1, camera control function is workking but there ise no video connection, so capture don't work. I have a rookie question is there any difference between capturing with premiere/final cut then capturing with imovie for miniDV tapes?    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture is being withdrawn from all versions of Premiere soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2023 Mar 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah. And this is a pretty major issue for editors live capturing footage on set for pre vis purposes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2023 Mar 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the same Black Magic device and just came across this issue on an M1 Mac. I discovered that if you open Premiere using Rosetta the capture window is there. I have not been able to test a capture yet but it appears all of the features are there. I mostly use the 4k mini to capture an sdi signal so I'm hoping the device actually works on on M1 Mac. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2023 Mar 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works! I'm using an M1 Mac Pro with Premeire Pro 23.2. We have archive footage on DVCAM tape that I needed to capture. Using a Sony DSR-2000 deck and a Black Magic UltraStudio 4K interface.

Thanks for sharing the information, Lounjay!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent! You're welcome. And good to know moving forward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi i have a old sony camera pc100e working fine on old mac and premiere but now i have the same problem Hi! I'm using the newest version of premiere (23.2.0) for m1 on Mac, Apple Silicon (M2 Pro) 13.2.1. i use it with rosetta2 function on otherwise i don't have the capture function in the menu.
When I use the capture function with rosetta, i can start the sony camera from premiere

but i can't record. the record button is grayed out. How can I solve this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines