• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CC 2017: An unknown error occurred while opening the project.

Explorer ,
Dec 10, 2016 Dec 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple days ago I spent all day editing a project. It's about 10 minutes long and consists of all iPhone videos - various frame rates and resolutions. It came out great and I closed the project for the night. The next day I came back and tried to open the project and after the loading bar completes, I get the error: An unknown error has occurred while opening the project. Other projects open normally. New projects open normally. But this one does not. I am so upset and frustrated about the lost work.

I went to my recent auto saves and they give me the same error. If I go way back in the auto saves, they will open normally but that was before many hours of additional work on the edit.

I made a new project and tried to import the old project and I get the error: The importer reported a generic error.

I used Media Browser to view the project and the window where I should see everything is blank, even after the loading bar finishes.

I used Project Repair from Digital Rebellion's Pro Maintenance Tools which thinks it has repaired the project, but I get the same error when trying to open it.

I used CS Repair from Digital Rebellion's Pro Maintenance Tools to trash Premiere preferences. No help either.

I googled the error message endlessly and although the same question has been asked, none of them got an answer.

Please advise.

Premiere 2017.0.1

macOS Sierra 10.12

2012 Mac Pro 12 core 2.4GHz

Nvidia GTX 780 6GB

32GB RAM

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 234 Replies 234
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have any backups or autosave projects that work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I mentioned this above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops, sorry - I missed that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2016 Dec 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried to open the project on a Windows installation and got the same error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2016 Dec 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone able to open the project? Getting a bit desperate here. Baffled as to how Adobe can have such crucial bugs. FCP7 didn't trash hours and hours of my work.

Dropbox - Broken project.prproj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 13, 2016 Dec 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No help at all?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try the steps listed here?

How to fix issues that cause errors when rendering or exporting

Jeba Joseph

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I try any of that when the project will not open at all?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2016 Dec 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So Adobe is ignoring this critical bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 24, 2016 Dec 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2017 Jan 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very sad adobe is ignoring your problem man! I'm having the same issues and came to this forum for help. Obviously adobe doesn't care about our problems, but they sure know how to contact me when my payment information changes! 😕

[Edited by moderator to remove reference to profanity]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, they even edit out abbreviated profanity but offer no help on broken projects.

The staff member who replied above obviously didn't even read my original post because the link he sent is irrelevant.

Let's make sure we keep replying here occasionally to make sure this issue doesn't go unnoticed. I know we're not the only ones losing hours of work to Adobe's bugs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Graham,

Sorry about my late reply, I was out on vacation so couldn't see this post until now. You're right, the KB document that I had provided a link for contains information on how to address rendering issues, I do notice that your issue is different and pertains to opening the project instead. I will check internally if there are any resolutions that can be provided with respect to this issue and keep you informed accordingly.

Sincerely,

Jeba Joseph

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Graham,

You may also want to give us this feedback in a bug report here.

Sincerely,

Jeba Joseph

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a bug report but it seems pretty pointless since I don't know how to replicate the problem and there's no way to attach a file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2017 Jan 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My project still cannot be opened! Hello?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 01, 2017 Feb 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

even the file I sent to you?

I opened it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you (mysterious stranger) fixed it. Thank you sincerely. That was 5 weeks after my project became un-openable.

What do I do when this happens again? Email you? Hope you're not busy that day? What if it happens on a mission critical client project? Adobe is ignoring this critical bug and I won't let them forget that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 04, 2017 Feb 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's right.

I can't explain every steps in detail but this is the process for versions after CC

For versions before cc skip step 2&3 :

1- make sure your project file is corrupted and cash files and hardware and ... is ok. (mainly this error means the problem is inside project file An unknown error occurred while opening the project )

2- open your project with a compressor software like Winrar

3- extract the file inside

4- open it with xml editor apps and fix the problematic parts.

5- convert to gzip

6- rename .prproj

7- scream loudly Adobe  Image result for you sucks

8-send peace upon does who loves God and God loves them.(seriously)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2017 Feb 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting this. This is the closest the world has come to solving this mission critical bug. Only problem is that pesky step 4.

And Adobe. That's the other problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi drKing2020,

Unfortunately, creating a post here is not akin to filing a support ticket. This is a user to user forum, primarily. For support, you do need to contact us directly. Check the link below. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

It appears that you and others on this post have a corrupt project. Very sorry about that. There is no solution or "bug fix" for such problems, unfortunately, as this malady can happen to anyone at any time. That's why it's vital to make sure you create backups of your project file at regular intervals.

It's great to have a forum member that can troubleshoot these project specific issues. However, our agents can also perform work like this. Make sure you file a case with them. If you cannot get help there, please let me know so I can escalate your case. As with our forum member helping you out, there are no guarantees when trying to repair a project. The more objects, sequences, and clips in the project, the more of a chore this might become.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour Kevin,

J'ai un problème avec ma version de Adobe Premiere Pro 2021 v15.1.0.48

Depuis une semaine je travailles sur un projet et quand je ferme premiere Pro et je l'ouvre après on me met un message d'erreur "Une erreur inconnue s'est produite pendant l'ouverture du projet".

c'est le même message d'erreur quand j'essaie d'ouvrir les sauvegardes dans Auto-Save

J'ai besoin d'aide pour ne pas perdre mon projet. Merci

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2017 Feb 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Mohsenagha,

we have exactly the same error as described above and followed your steps, but are stuck on step 4. Our project file opens with and XML editor and even shows us that one line (180809 in the XML has a Parse Error). How do we fix the XML? We don't know anything about the XML language but maybe you can explain or help us.

thanks so much for your help, we have edited all day and hate to loose a full day of work.

Best

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Send me your project to take a look inside.

On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 7:57 AM, Weirdweisz <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines