• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CC 2017: An unknown error occurred while opening the project.

Explorer ,
Dec 10, 2016 Dec 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple days ago I spent all day editing a project. It's about 10 minutes long and consists of all iPhone videos - various frame rates and resolutions. It came out great and I closed the project for the night. The next day I came back and tried to open the project and after the loading bar completes, I get the error: An unknown error has occurred while opening the project. Other projects open normally. New projects open normally. But this one does not. I am so upset and frustrated about the lost work.

I went to my recent auto saves and they give me the same error. If I go way back in the auto saves, they will open normally but that was before many hours of additional work on the edit.

I made a new project and tried to import the old project and I get the error: The importer reported a generic error.

I used Media Browser to view the project and the window where I should see everything is blank, even after the loading bar finishes.

I used Project Repair from Digital Rebellion's Pro Maintenance Tools which thinks it has repaired the project, but I get the same error when trying to open it.

I used CS Repair from Digital Rebellion's Pro Maintenance Tools to trash Premiere preferences. No help either.

I googled the error message endlessly and although the same question has been asked, none of them got an answer.

Please advise.

Premiere 2017.0.1

macOS Sierra 10.12

2012 Mac Pro 12 core 2.4GHz

Nvidia GTX 780 6GB

32GB RAM

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 234 Replies 234
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Can you possibly fix my file? It is doing the same things as the person who started this forum.

My computer crashed while editing and now I can't open the file due to the error.

If not it's cool. But just wanted to ask.

B-Rolls.prproj - Google Drive

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I will do my best

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My friend so sorry

there is no way to recover your file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright, thank you for trying. I really appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2018 May 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Mohsenagha

Seems I'm having a similar problem and you seem to be the one person who can help.

PLEASE HELP!

My project file is linked here:

Dropbox - BORKENPROJECT_050718.prproj

Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 07, 2018 May 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

​Good news!!

Check your private messages​

On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 10:51 PM, rayf79220605 <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 19, 2017 Mar 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mohsenagha I'm so sorry to bother you... but it seems that you are the only one in the whole world wide web that can fix it.

I have no idea why but this project (more than six months of work) seems to be corrupted from night to day. Same for all auto saves.

I just cannot find anything to uncompress the project on mac

Will it bother to take a look at my .prproj too?

If u give me the ok I'll upload!

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2017 Mar 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI, all, I thiiiink it was the slow-mo iphone footage that was the problem... I adjusted the frame rate on all the original slo-mo clips from 240 to 60, as I hadn't realized they imported in real tume.  Everything has been smoother since (no crashing/freezing). 

Hopefully our community guru can help you with the fix- I'm sorry I can't!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 20, 2017 Mar 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you eriswea... but no iphone footage on timeline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure

Send me your project

On Sunday, March 19, 2017, saveriovalentino <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow Mohsenagha, you should open business on that! 

Here's project's link:

https://we.tl/aqWx2Nh7Fh

And thank you so mutch!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my God!!!

1GB just project file?????

Please compress it as much as possible.

Try reaching below 100MB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess that that's the problem...

I was work on finalization and I loaded the project with stabilization, denoise and other stuff, it has gown in size from 300MB to 1GB adding (I guess) a lot of garbage code.

What I was thinking is to clean all timelines from effects (everithyng) for reducing the size of the project and then migrate to DaVinci for stab, denoise and color. Problem is that I don't know how to open it for that resize.

But I tried everything and it just won't work.

Every single auto save is corrupted, I tried to create a new project and import timelines, I tried to import the project in AE, and every other advise I could find on the internet (cleaning cache, preview and other stuff) but it alwas report a generic error.

Any advise on how to compress it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try a compressor software like winrar and compress with maximum level of

compression. Maybe rar extension is the best one for decreasing size of the

file.

Your case is really strange, usually premier project files won't be over 50

mb.

And a project with about 50 MBs of size contains more than 30 thousands

(30/000) of individual clips!!!

So your project should have about 180k clips (base on 300MB); maybe even

more than the whole of Friends series in one project.

So something is not correct here.

Does anyone else has the same problem here? Giant project size?

I'm working on a project with more than 5000 clips and it's steel 8.2 MBs.

On Tuesday, March 21, 2017, saveriovalentino <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...I know, that's more than one year shooting and editing a long documentary including proxy, many timelines for sync, many timelines version of the project and lots and lots of stuff.

I'm going to compress it as mutch as I can and then send you a new upload.

Thank you again...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

saveriovalentino,

Sorry for your corruption issues. If at all possible, keep your working project "lean and mean" by moving the materials you don't commonly use to another project. You'll be a lot happier after you do that.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2018 Jul 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

im working on a documentary and having this issue. The project is 30k on files and the projectsize was 266 mb. After using winrar and extract the projectfile it turned out to be 900mb+

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please help us with our project? I spend more then a year on shooting/traveling/selecting/editing.
The last saved project (with a different name ) that works, is from 1 month ago and i just had one very intensive month of editing.

Now the latest project wont open and is giving the message " an unknown error occurred while opening the project"
very much the same as all the problems above.

The latest project that is able to open is from before i made a new project and opened the old project into this new project.
After that move the newest project( including 1 month editing) is corrupt.

We are willing to pay!

Thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My friend send me your project I will do my best recover it.

On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 9:04 PM erikm47359640 <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Mohsen Aghaei, 

Help me please

I have this message when i open my project 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2017 Mar 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mohsenagha,

I have a corrupt project after 20hours of work. Can you repair the project for me. Will be really grateful.

Dropbox - CORRUPT PROJECT PREMIERE CC 2017.prproj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear friend unfortunately your project is totally corrupted. Even I can't extract it to work on its XML core.

Do you have any other version of it. A file with bigger size than this one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Mohsenagha, firstly thank you for your time & effort. Truly appreciate.

Unfortunately I dont have a file bigger in size. I do have an earlier project that i had saved which too is corrupt.

This is my last hope of retrieving something. Can you just give it a try.

Dropbox - WELCOME DINNER 05.prproj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear JPR111 I'm so sorry to say this but this recent file is in the same

situation.

I opened it but there are thousands of corrupted lines and absolutely

repairing the file takes more than 100 hours.

Again sorry to say that but I did my best...

you have my condolences. Hope your project rest in peace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2017 Aug 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

​Kevin at Adobe suggested that I speak with you about an issue I'm having with importing an XML file I've exported from a Final Cut Pro 7 project into Premiere CC. I've tried everything, including removing transitions and making sure all audio in the project matched as stereo pairs. It always shows "generic error." I desperately need to import this project into Premiere. Any FCP 7 XML from a new project will import, but not this one. I did an XML export from the project which resides on an older computer, and that imported fine into the FCP 7 on my new computer, but the same XML will not import into Premiere CC.  Kevin said that you had some serious skills with XML repair. Can you help? I'm a retired college professor and film producer. You can also contact me at me my email: irarabrams@gmail.com, and my US cell: +1 951-288-1365. Many thanks in advance for any help you can give.I'll send a link to the file to your email to look at.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines