• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CC Update Causes Font Bug

Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded all of our editors to the newest release of Premiere (v12.1) & After Effects CC (v15.1) and was immediately notified that something was wrong. All but one user complained that since the update they were missing fonts, in this case the font family was Gotham.

This was previously brought up to Adobe back in November here: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2418916# Despite the fact that it never truly was fixed, it is labeled as "answered" by Dov Isaacs, which it most certainly has not been.

There he repeatedly claims that the fonts were never ever ever deleted by any Adobe Installer/Uninstaller, which I kind of doubt but I think he's referencing a different issue. I think there's something that is triggered in the install (maybe injecting XMP metadata? Which an entirely different issue) that modifies certain non-TypeKit font families in a way that makes them unrecognizable by the CC Suite.

I managed to find a workaround- I copied the fonts from the one unaffected user's system library and used those to reinstall for everybody else, overwriting the damaged font files. Despite getting this to work, I wanted to bring this up to see if it could be looked into by someone at Adobe. I have previously used the Feature Request/Bug Report Form​, and have done so for this already but that typically yields no results.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's some kind of issue where the app isn't recognizing some types of non-Typekit and non-TrueType fonts. Search the new UserVoice system and add on to those reporting the problem.

Neil

Adobe Bug /Feature Request form: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2018 Apr 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In fairness, a lot of us have done that and the problem still isn't fixed. This is a HUGE issue that needs a fix yesterday. We can't just sub fonts for our clients. They have specific style guides. So now, we have to go spend money to buy fonts that we already have, but in a different format so it'll work inside of PP & AE. It's even more frustrating that when we post about it in this forum, we're just getting told to go report it somewhere else. I've been using Adobe products for nearly 20 years and I have to say the quality of the service and support has gone way down hill. If there was a quality alternative product that could do the same stuff, I'd switch at this point. But there isn't so we're stuck. This bug needs to get fixed immediately!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This forum has never been the place to report bugs ... but to get help primarily from other users. With some help from support staff.

As to some of the other comments, under the previous PM, development team members did not appear on this forum. You may have noted that at least five members of the development team now pop in here on a semi-regular basis. That's due to the new PM, who took over right about NAB last April. He's been working on changes. Some new & different personnel have been announced.

Have you been to the User Voice system? It ain't the old never-to-be-lamented "system" they used to use. You can search for other similar posts, add comments, see responses from the company (as they do post there!) ... and from the staff responses, get some idea of what they've worked on.

This is one of several things they've acknowledged and are working on.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have and I have commented on more than one post about the issue. While I understand this is not the place to report bugs, it is also a place where a community of content creators can voice what issues they are having so that others can see if they're having the same issues with the hope that someone from Adobe is looking. Bottom line - All of us need this issue fixed ASAP. This is not an issue that can wait for a few weeks. It's an issue that is currently costing our agency money that I'm pretty sure Adobe isn't going to be reimbursing us for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 28, 2018 Apr 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Couldn't disagree with anything there ... this is a tool for getting work out the door for the nice people what pays your income. And just needs to work. Yep.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 29, 2018 Apr 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So why doesn’t it?

AJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 29, 2018 Apr 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neither an Adobe staffer nor a software engineer. Got no answer for you.

The material and fonts and such I use are all working fine. For me, it is currently a great build, though on first installing I got the workspace not loading issue that took several instances of nuking it with the Adobe CC Cleaner Tool before I could even run previous versions.

Since I got past that it's been great here. Wish it was for you.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2018 May 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since Adobe isn't helping any of us, here is a link to a font conversion tool so you can convert the Fonts you've purchased to OTF. http://fontgear-net.3dcartstores.com/

It's $100 for one seat of $350 for 5 seats. Works well.

I've also posted this in the main thread in the User Voice system.

It's a decent workaround until Adobe gets us a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2018 May 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to get After Effects to load the fonts correctly by installing version 15.0.0. I was able to open the projects I originally built in 15.1.1 and 'relink' the fonts. Worked fine after that. Not an ideal solution but it solved the issue without any file conversion or paying for new software.

In the CC app click the arrow next to 'Update' and you can find 'Other Versions'.

Using macOS High Sierra 10.13.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2018 May 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case, the font is available in Font Book, but AE character window does not show me all the fonts that I have in it's list.  I had problems with my entire Gotham family and some of the Helvetica Neue fonts.  For now I am working with different fonts, but it is definitely a problem when we open a project and fonts that have been used in the past are not being recognized.  I hope this helps to get to the bottom of this!

Thank you

macOS High Sierra 10.13.4, iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, late 2015) and AE 15.1.1 (build 12)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually didn't have this problem in April (or not that I was aware of), but I definitely have it now. I'm on a Mac (high sierra), and the font family I'm unable to use is Bureau Agency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2018 Jun 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here, update on 12.1.1 caused the font "Trade Gothic LT CondEighteen" to get replaced by a different font although the font is available and can be changed back manually.

Guys, I'd be great if you could just one single time release a bugfix that doesn't break other stuff.

System: iMac Retina 5K, late 2015. 3,2 Ghz 24GB, Radeon R9 M390. MacOS High Sierra.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2018 Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So after some time has passed .. does anyone know if theft issue has been resolved in the app updates?

I'm too scared to try

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The font issue i meant .. nothing has been stolen ... Apart form workflow time ... Dov Isaacs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As listed the font issues were part of the many bug fixes of 12.1.2. As you can keep any 2017 (11.x) build a installed with a 2018 (12.x) also installed, and can re-install any 12.x from the CC app... test it yourself.

Either create a new project in 12.1.2 and test fonts, or create a COPY of a current project and open and test the copy.

If it's a 2017 project, copy the project then import the assets of the copy from PrPro's Media browser.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2018 Aug 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Team!

I have installed the following fonts onto my workstation:
* Helvetica Neue LT STD 55 Roman
* Helvetica Neue LT STD 46 Light Italics
* Futura STD Medium

* Futura STD Book

but after restarting, InDesign doesn't recognize them anymore and throws back the idea of using the default fonts instead. Is this an InDesign issue? Before updating to the current version, I was able to use these same fonts. I need help as I am creating corporate profiles and these documents are needed immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 07, 2018 Aug 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are these Typekit fonts? If not, are there Typekit versions of them?

One of the issues in PrPro and I wouldn't be surprised if it was all CC apps ... if you have a font on the system that also can be had from Typekit, you need to uninstall the system font and use the Typekit one or it gets confused.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for responding to my inquiry. I think they aren't part of TypeKit fonts. I tried searching for "Helvetica" but couldn't find any. My next questions are as follows:

-     Is, would it be possible to export those Helvetica family fonts and put them on TypeKit?

-     Why InDD doesn't recognize the fonts right after I, uninstall and reinstall those fonts? What am I doing wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're correct, Helvetica is not part of the Typekit library. Unfortunately it's not possible to upload fonts to Typekit.

It's difficult to say why fonts aren't installing properly when Adobe isn't the provider. Are you able to use the fonts in other programs on your computer, like MS Word?

Molly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can only use the fonts in the following applications:

- MS Word
     - MS Excel

- MS Powerpoint

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case, I would recommend reaching out to the reseller where you obtained your fonts. They should be able to help troubleshoot any installation issues.

Molly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But before the update on CC, I didn't have problems using these fonts on Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok so this issue has been around for a while ..

in short if you have upgraded your adobe apps and these don’t issues have started ... just down grade and it will be as normal .... will still open the build files  ...I want to upgrade to see if adobe have fixed this but wary also ...

id say don’t waste time looking into font issues .. this is a software glitch but I don’t know anything anyway

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines