Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CC2018: Markers Disappeared...

Enthusiast ,
Jan 11, 2018 Jan 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys

I put markers in 5 clips, with detailed comments yesterday. When I opened the project this morning, the markers in the first 4 clips had disappeared as if they never existed.

Has anyone had the same experience or anyone any thoughts?

Regards,

Graham

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this thread:

Re: Markers missing after last update!

...the staff member suggests it is the disappearing sequence marker that is verified to be fixed, and asks for more info. I have pointed to this thread. I was not able to replicate the clip marker disappearing upon opening a project, but it is more complex. I am not doubting it exists, I just can't create a project in version 11.x or 12.x that results in the problem when opened in 12.1.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just went through the bug reports in the new uservoice bug reporting/feature request system that include the word "marker," and looked for the issue of markers being lost.

Of the 5 bug reports that seem relevant, I concluded that none of them actually addressed the problem in this thread (clip markers). One or two might have been intended to address it, but I suspect not. Since I have not been able to create the problem, I have not added a report. (Yes, someone should! And once they do everyone affected by it should vote for it.) The main uservoice link is:

Premiere Pro: Hot (1055 ideas) – Adobe video & audio apps

PBMarc, your post suggests that a project created in 12.0.0 with clip markers, then opened in 12.1.0 or 12.1.1 will (may?) result in the markers being lost. Does it also happen if the original project is 2017.1.4? I currently have 12.0.1 on one machine, and 12.1.1 on another. I assume a test would be to add clip markers in a new project in 12.0.1 and open that project in 12.1.1 (which would convert it). When I test earlier, I could find no condition where the clip markers disappeared. I gave up after playing a bit with the preferences as to settings for:

Write XMP ID to files on import

Write clip markers to XMP

Enable clip and XMP metadata linking

Happy to try any experiments....

I am assuming that staff (see link above) are looking at this, so any information you can provide will be useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 25, 2018 May 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We upgraded to 12.1.1 at our office yesterday morning, and I've had this problem twice since then.

To be clear, I'm putting markers in the SEQUENCE not on the CLIPS. But several different things seem to be broken in this update:

1. Markers placed in sequences are no longer on those sequences when I bring the sequence into the Source monitor.

2. Markers that are VISIBLE in the timeline do not respond to Command-M and Shift-Command-M to navigate between them.

3. Markers that are visible in the timeline do not show up in the Markers window.

4. Occasionally, as I'm playing down a sequence and hitting "M" to lay down marker that I plan to come back to, when I finish the sequence there are no markers. It's like I never hit the "M" key at all, even though I know I did.

Please let me know when this bug is fixed. There's no way to "down-grade" from 12.1.1 and this breaks one of my most basic tools as an editor, which I've been using professionally in AVID, Final Cut Pro, and now Premiere for more than 15 years.

Please HELP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

artisanaltv,

See this other thread that deals with sequence markers:

My post that I linked to deals with part of your issue: open sequence in source monitor and all sequence markers in that sequence are deleted. However the (false) markers still appear in the timeline, but not in the source monitor. So they do not respond to the keyboard command for "next marker" because they are no longer there even though a visible marker is there.

I have not tested your issue with laying down markers while playing. I'll try that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted in the other thread regarding sequence markers added while playing on the timeline. You can work around the problem BEFORE ADDING SEQUENCE MARKERS by opening the sequence in the source monitor (then close is okay), and then close the sequence in the timeline and reopen it. Sequence markers will be added and appear normally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2018 Jun 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this exact issues as well, right after updating to 12.1.1  Holding my breath as well, this really grinds things to a halt!    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2018 Jun 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just hade a huge project loose clip markers from around half the material and spent a few hours trying to get them back.

I did find them and I have a lead for that you can try:

If you have any backups of your material or any other disks with the same material premiere might connect with that material for some reason when you relink or such.

RENAME your other pathfolders for the same material and see if it forces premiere to relink everything to the correct disk/folder. It worked for me.

PS. I also opened a clip xmp with notes at the same time that it started to work, not sure if it changed anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 28, 2018 Jun 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Soooo... Adobe.... When is 12.1.2 (with a fix coming????) Much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 03, 2018 Jul 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

5 months later and this issue is wreaking havoc on my edits. Get a project fully markered up, edit some more, save, open hours later and POOF. I can make new ones but they're all magically gone.
Same system, same editor, no transferring, nothing offline.

I had a bunch of markers disappear mid edit once. Just deleted a single clip and they vanished. (These are timeline markers.)

Had many projects where new markers would only show in program monitor and not on the timeline at all.

What the heck is going on?!

--

Checked auto-saves. Auto-saves 45 minutes older than my most recent edit still have some markers, but the 10 or so ones since that point just... don't. They're just gone.

Reinstalling and deleting cache (something I do monthly anyway) but I don't expect it to help and the markers in my current project are just gone.

Oh, and the actual markers panel where you can see a list of them hasn't worked in probably a couple months.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 04, 2018 Jul 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread you posted in is more about clip markers. One that focuses on sequence markers is here:

There is a workaround once  you realize what the problem is. If don't understand why they are disappearing, it is very odd. Once you do, you have a chance of saving your work, and then avoiding the problem.

What is the problem with the marker panel? You might want to start a new thread on that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thus far the "workaround" of not opening in source monitor doesn't apply to me since I wouldn't do that in the first place. But yes I don't really use clip markers much so I have posted in there and will follow. It is my understanding Adobe is currently on a summer break of some sort so I'm just awaiting the 12.1.2 update 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As are a lot of users!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will this problem be addressed in 12.1.2? Because if not, "a lot of users" are going to continue to be inconvenienced. This bug has really changed how I work (and not for the better) because I no longer have faith that if I put the time into laying down markers (as I have my entire career) that they won't capriciously disappear at some unexpected moment.

The phrase "I don't understand why they are disappearing, it is very odd" is not reassuring.

Would it help if more people voted for this: Fix the markers!! – Adobe video & audio apps ?  So far it only has 3 votes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2018 Jul 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

artisanaltv  wrote

The phrase "I don't understand why they are disappearing, it is very odd" is not reassuring.

Would it help if more people voted for this: Fix the markers!! – Adobe video & audio apps ?  So far it only has 3 votes.

Yes, I messed that sentence up responding from my phone. I should have said:

There is a workaround once  you realize what the problem is. If [you] don't understand why they are disappearing, it is very odd. Once you do [understand], you have a chance of saving your work, and then avoiding the problem.

But remember that I am a user, not Adobe staff, and I hold my breath when I test a new version to see if a particular bug is fixed. I am very hopeful about this one. But there are multiple marker issues that users have raised, and no guarantee that the fix will handle all of them.

And it turns out that in the immediate example, EposVox's problem with sequence markers is NOT the version of the bug that I was describing. Still looking at that in the other thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Stan. "Adobe Community Professional" sounded to me like you worked for Adobe, but I see on closer inspection that I got this wrong. My apologies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem. Nothing wrong with advocating for an issue. And those badges do look pretty official!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2018 Jul 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same problem. Figured I clicked something or typed some keyboard shortcut on accident.  Like all things with Premiere of course it was a bug.

I have work for a client separated and all chopped up.  I set markers all along the sequence with the different style names (its a clothing brand). I save and open it up multiple times over the next week. Yesterday I open the file, all the clips are still in there and separated, but no markers. It's like someone coming into your office and throwing away all your sticky notes.

This is such a crucial bug, c'mon adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2019 Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Media preferences >Write clip markers to XMP

To specify where you want Premiere Pro to save clip marker, set this option. If you select this option, clip markers are saved with the media file. If you turn off this option, clip markers are saved in the Premiere Pro project file.

This is very confusing. I always have to look it up again even though I know it's the culprit for markers disappearing across shared projects. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 19, 2018 Jul 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

Does the NEW 12.1.2 solve the marker issues?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2018 Jul 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I responded in the other thread re sequence markers, which are fixed. I believe this will also fix the merged clip issue, but forget to mention it there, and in any event, have not tested it.

I was not able to replicate the clip marker issue, and am not sure how to test it.

My response in the other thread is here:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2018 Jul 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found at least a temporary workaround for me. I've been having sequence markers disappear when I open the sequence in the source monitor. My fix was basically to turn the sequence into a multicam with a very specific workflow. You have to do this before you lose the markers though. It doesn't work to revive old ones that have already disappeared.

-Create a scratch sequence. From the browser, drag the problem sequence onto the scratch sequence timeline.

-In the timeline, alt-click to select the video layer only.

-Right click and choose Multicam-Enable.

-Match frame from the timeline so that it pulls up the full multicam in your source monitor. If you look in the browser, you'll see your sequence has now become a multicam.

-Now the markers seem to be sticking to that multicam sequence.

For now, this is working for me. It may not fit into everybody's workflow of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2018 Jul 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you found a way.

Note that this thread is more about the clip markers issue. The better sequence marker thread is the link I posted above.

What version are you using? The disappearing sequence marker appears fixed in 2018.1.2 (July 16).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2018 Aug 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay guys, here's what worked for me. After creating numerous test files the support engineer and I narrowed it down to the file itself. I work mainly with audio and when logging tape I use markers in the project window and bring clips down to the timeline with the markers intact. This is the way I have worked for a long time. Suddenly, on a new project I had the markers disappear and my work did not save.

RESOLUTION...

I exported the .wav file in question as a new .waf file from PPCC and then started a new project, imported the new media file and it worked. I hope this helps others as it was a real challenge for me.

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 09, 2018 Aug 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you got it sorted. And thanks for reporting.

What specific dot version of PR were you using? Did you open an older version project in a newer version? (Before doing the workaround with the new file.)

Were you saving xmp data to the clip itself or not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2018 Aug 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I literally screened something this afternoon and all the markers on on the media but all the details I put in the comments are magically gone.  This is the SECOND massive issues I've had with markers in premiere in the last 6 months when hours of work mysteriously disappeared for no reason. 

I have never had this issue with Avid or FCP.  All premiere does is create hours of rework.  Its horrible and COSTING ME MONEY and my clients time.  Grow up and make a product that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines