Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Change leading in percentage of font size in premiere pro

Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

When chaning the leading in illustrator, Photoshop or Indesign, you can easly change the leading in pt according to font size. For example you want line spacing to be 125% of font size and the font is 40pt the leading will be: 40x1,25= 50pt.

However, this method (working with leading in percentage of font size) does not work in premiere pro (for me). 

When setting the leading to value of 50 when the font is 40, makes a gigantic line spacing compared to how it is supposed to look and how it looks in illustrator f.ex.

Any tips that works to get the correct leading in premiere pro?

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles , Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Think of it like this, in Premiere a Leading of 0 is the font size.

So if your font is 50 and you want the leading to be 125% of the font size, the actual value you want to calculate is 25% of the font size, because 0 is 100%.

50x0.25=12.5 is the leading you're looking for.

Hope this makes sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I´ve tried that as well, but I do not think this makes the same result.

Here I´ve made a text in illustrator and imported it to premiere with 75pt in font size and 100pt in leading (133% line spacing in this case) (75x1,333=100). Then I made the the text in red in premiere using 75x0,333=25.

Screenshot 2020-11-30 at 13.46.17.png

When using a leading value 9 they line up more or less.. Any suggestions on how to adept the grapics criterias in percentage to premiere pro? why don´t addobe use the same text parameters in their video softwares?

Screenshot 2020-11-30 at 13.56.33.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try in After Effects?

If it behaves in After Effects like you want it to, you can simply create your text layer there and link the composition to Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had some lengthy discussions with a couple of the engineers on leading and kerning in Premiere. For some reason, when they designed the font workings of Premiere, they decided that editors didn't want nor need to use the same tools as those odd designer types (that last nearly a direct quote ... sigh). So they built a specially designed set of font behaviors that would be more natural, wanted, and intuitive for editors.

And didn't put up any real in-depth explanations anywhere. And if you think leading is a problem, well ... kerning is a lot worse.

And I've yet to find anyone who thinks their design is more natural, wanted, and more intuitive. I wish I had a helpful answer, but Sami has about the only sensible way to approach it. It's as good as you're going to get, I think.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the explanation, I always felt like Premiere's way is "unique" but never really understood it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your explanation Neil.

Creating the text in After Effects linked to Premiere seems to be the best workaround when working with stickt guilelines.

Or one can use a template created in illustrator or indesign, and line up the text in Premiere, then use the same settings for the rest..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2023 Mar 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tips. Did anyone find any other solution at the end?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 01, 2023 Apr 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not that it is much help to you, but I, like many editors, eyeball the leading in PPro. Sometimes, I will use a screenshot from official brand guidelines to make sure it matches as close as possible. But, since we're in the business of moving images, pixel peepers don't get a lot of time to know that it is not 100% correct...

I agree with you that this behavior should be consistent with the other design apps from Adobe.

Perhaps posting this as an idea for development will alert the engineers that consistency throughout the Adobe suite would be a good thing. For one, I upvoted your post. The more people who agree do this, the more attention this post gets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 01, 2023 Apr 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'd sure upvote that ... Pr desperately needs a number of text fixes. Full text display control for leading/kerning/et al, scroll seriously updated, and a real crawl ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines