Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Change Playback Resolution / Pause no longer works

New Here ,
Oct 16, 2022 Oct 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a problem with première pro, in the past when I used to put my rushes on première pro to edit them and it wasn't too fluid I used to set the resolution of the play and pause to the minimum (1/8)

except that recently I don't know why but these options don't work anymore there is no difference between 1/4 1/8... and yet when I run the rushes it's very fluid

when normally it should lag because my videos are too heavy compared to the power of my pc.

How to correct this ?

Thanks

Sincerely

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 16, 2022 Oct 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The playback resolution can honestly have a pretty minimal impact on playback performance when it comes to decoding straight video, since your computer has to do the hard part: decoding the media, before it can display it at a lower resolution. So many people put a bit too much credence in what that pulldown menu is doing rather than other workflow considerations like codecs, proxies, etc.

I'm not sure if it applies to what you're asking, but the availability of the dropdown options will increase/decrease based on your sequence frame size. 

If you're working with edit-optimized source media at the moment then it would generally play great since they're easy to process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I used to use the 1/8 1/16... option on the playback + also the proxy option with the dubs using adobe media encoder because my rushes were too heavy and it was slow on the playback

but i don't know why i don't need to do all these things anymore because when i put my dailies on première pro it's surprisingly smooth,

However, when I click on property on one of the dailies to see if they have dropped in quality to explain that it is now fluid there is nothing that makes it say that everything seems in perfect quality (the image) on the playback + fluid while I have not touched anything.

Moreover when I activate the option 1/8 etc.. it does not decrease or very little the quality of the file.

In the Absolut I don't mind because I don't need to use proxy with media encoder but I would like to know why it does this because I'm afraid that the quality is lowered somewhere to explain this phenomenon

Did I change something or not on purpose? I prefer it to be like before, it's more reassuring

Thank you

Sincerely

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Different video codecs can have vastly different behaviors. I could have a 100GB 4k 60fps file in ProRes that performs way better and is way easier to process than a 10MB 1920x1080 30fps H264 or H265 clip with variable framerate. Moreover, there are also different profiles, levels, and means of encoding that can somewhat vary the performance of one clip over another, so one 1920x1080 30fps H264 clip isn't necessarily going to perform the same as another 1920x1080 30fps H264 clip.  

And I know I posted it already on this thread, but you'll often see very minimal difference on most codecs when using the playback quality dropdown menu. In fact it may even be possible to see a slight decrease in performance since you have to decode the media, then downscale it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Thank you for your answer I note, in my case before and after it was the same rush of the camera with the same rates, quality

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 22, 2022 Oct 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hmm. I see. What kind of camera?

Are you saying that some clips from this same shoot are behaving differently than others? Or that in the past the behavior was different?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines