Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Choppy Playback in PP 2022

New Here ,
Nov 14, 2021 Nov 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tahawka_0-1636931827951.png

I havn't been editing for a while. When I started back up first I updated to latest version of PP "2022"

Opened a reecent project and the time line playback is choppy. I also imported serveral video files from different sources, new and old. Mp4, MOV, AVI ect. they all were choppy. I uninstalled PP and reinstalled, made sure cache was clean. Same problem. Any input would be welcome..... Also the video files work fine in Windows Media Viewer and when imported into Pinnacle Studio 24.....

Thanks in advance...

DK

TOPICS
Editing , Freeze or hang , Performance , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2021 Dec 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problems here . Nobody has a solution ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are the video files stored on External HDD ? 

did you update Apple Quite time player on your computer ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tahawka!

Sorry about the trouble. What's the source of the media files? Can you share the screenshot of your Audio Hardware? Edit > Preferences > Audio Hardware.

Let us know.

Thanks,

Kartika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the hard drives (how many, what kind, what is on each, what capacity, and how full)?

If NVIDIA graphics, make sure to use the latest Studio Driver from NVIDIA (NOT the Game Driver).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. When I playback, the green render bar is also choppy. Even after I cache before playback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ryned62227044,
Sorry, we need more info to go on. What kind of media are you using? What are your sequence settings? What type of computer do you have? What are its components? Let us know!

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's actually After Effects on an HP Z800 with 2 Intel Xeon Processors 3.07 GHz. NVIDIA RTX 2080 (same issue on Gaming or Studio) 48GB RAM Windows 10. It happens no matter the sequence settings or media I'm using. I mostly work with MOVs laying down motion graphics and captions. But it happens on every project on this computer. Even had support remote into my computer and couldn't come up with a solution. Thankfully I somehow was able to download AE 18.4 (2021) and it works completely fine. Not sure there's a solution unfortunely just gotta wait till all the kinks in 2022 gets worked out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear @Kevin-Monahan and @Kartika Rawat , many lite/small video apps can edit and playback smoothly. But not for best profesional app like adobe premiere, it sometimes work charm, sometimes work bad, sometimes fast, sometimes choppy playback, sometimes crash when export and so on no matter how high spec pc user has. I'm sure Premiere developer should inspect this.

-Office : Adobe || Home : Resolve-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Eko,

Sorry. Comparing "Player" apps and H.264 playback with an NLE is like comparing a push lawnmower to a ride aboard John Deere. Both can cut the lawn, but there are many more features with the Deere that can get the job done faster and easier. Costs a lot more too. OK, maybe my metaphor isn't great.

The answer to most performance issues, by far, is to transcode all Long GOP footage to intraframe proxies or masters (not H.264). Then, all these NLE performance issues melt away. 

Final Cut Pro classic, Avid, Resolve, and FCP X all rely on transcodes and proxies for better performance with horrible Long GOP media. H.264 is, a technology initially meant for corporate intranets and "videophones." In other words, pretty old tech. H.264, at its inception, was not meant for video editing, it was meant for playback only. Computers have been struggling with editing this format since then. I just do it automatically as part of starting a project. Try it.

All that said, engineering continues to make HEVC and H.264 more performant, which is great. The only problem is that you need the latest hardware to take advantage of this tech. No matter how you slice it, transcodes and proxies will always work better with NLEs. 

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2023 Jun 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"H.264 is, a technology initially meant for corporate intranets and "videophones." In other words, pretty old tech" - this is hilarious. The problem is long GOPs indeed and it gets only worse with VVC and AV1, which are not exactly "old tech"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 14, 2023 Jun 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @Vitaly304668648nki,

I guess the point is that H.264 and HEVC (and those with even more compression) is not ideal for editing. 

To put my commentary into perspective, I recall doing corporate video in the Silicon Valley for Cisco where H.263 and 264 was, indeed, meant for video conferencing. iPhone's weren't even invented yet. Sony cameras did not use H.264. No one did. They still shot videotape. 

Camera manufacturers and mobile phone companies placed these highly compressed formats into their devices with little consideration for the hardware devices. Acquisition via these formats is fine, but editing with them is another story. Anyway, I digress.

I think you are actually agreeing with me. If others want to, feel free to try editing with these formats, but I would still recommend transcoding or creating proxies. I know that even more hardcore formats are coming soon!

Take care,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2023 Jun 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sure, I agree with your main point - Intra-frame formats are the way to go when editing. I just wouldn't put any blame on codecs/codec developers as it definitely makes more sense to compress the heck out of a movie (while it's still fine for simple linear playback) before distributing it to hundreds of millions of people than trying to make video editors happy 🙂 And you can actually make them happy - just configure H.264 right and you have AVC-Intra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines