• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Choppy playback once I begin adding transitions

Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2017 Feb 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm goin nuts here trying to figure out why the video playback is so choppy when I'm editing.   Was working on a sequence and as usual, playback is horrible.  I have tried every editing mode I have available.   I started the same project from scratch, dragged clips & let premiere choose the sequence setting, the videos play nice & smooth I get no lag until I add a video transition, just a cross dissolve, that's when the playback gets choppy.    I'm working with 1080p video @ 60fps from a DJI Phantom 4 pro.  Premiere chose AVCHD 1080p square pixel as editing mode.  

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for any advice

Albert

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your hardware and operating system? (DETAILS please)

If you are running a laptop with 4Meg of ram and a slow hard drive you will have problems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quad core i73770K CPU @ 4.0 GHz, 32gb ram,  Sound blaster Z audio card,  GeForce GTX 970, dual monitors,   Samsung 850 pro SSD main drive running windows 10 64bit, Samsung 840pro SSD for video & audio files.  using 24gb ram for premiere,  hardware cuda enabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, desktop, not laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

albertr12307019  wrote

Sorry, desktop, not laptop.

That would have been quite a laptop!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

H.264 isn't the best choice for editing.  (It's unfortunate that so many cameras use it.)  Try creating Cineform proxies for editing.  PP is smart enough to always use the original media for export, so it's a pretty smooth process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I don't understand is why the issue only happens when I add a video transition between 2 clips.   I'm editing the same footage right now, removed all of the cross transitions & the video plays smooth as silk.  I have played almost an hour of HD footage not a single lag, but the moment I add a video transition, that's when it lags & gets choppy.  These are accelerated effects so I just don't get it.  There has to be an explanation, is it a setting I'm just not doing correctly?  I have enables & disabled h.264 decoding.  If I was working with 4k footage I see the need of creating the proxies, but I still want to try & figure out what the issue is.  Thank you all for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 10, 2018 Aug 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Albert, did you manage to resolve your issue? I have had this same problem since upgrading to Premiere 2018. Its a pain yet nobody seems to know the answer? Even now thinking of cancelling my subscription and looking elsewhere!

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 27, 2018 Aug 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ASUS® Z97-P: ATX, LG1150, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-4790 (3.6GHz) 8MB Cache
16GB Kingston DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (2 x 8GB)
2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 750 Ti - 2 x DVI, HDMI - 3D Vision Ready
EVO 860 500GB SSD Sata 6Gb/s Boot Drive
2TB SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE Capture Drive
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit Version 1803
Premiere CC 2018 Version 12.1.2

OK, I have had this problem now for quite a while without a fix?..........

The format I am using is 1920x1080 AVCHD .mts files. Also .MP4

The issue I have is once I have it on the timeline and cut it into small clips, then add basic Cross Dissolves, it drops frames on playback? At this point the timeline is yellow and it is not yet rendered but surely it should be able to play back a few simple dissolves as it did in Premiere CS6 for the past few years? If I turn off Accelerated GPU then obviously the transitions will turn red and I should expect problems until they are rendered!

I have tried everything on various PC's, from uninstalling everything, re-installing new hardware (even Motherboard) and software. I have windows 7 on my home pc, which is an i7, 16bg ram, but does not have a Cuda Card fitted. I have installed CS6 and I can place my recorded footage AVCHD .MTS .MP4 on the timeline and it fly’s like nobody's business! I can add dissolves and things in between clips and even though the transitions are red to indicate render needed, it plays back like a dream..... No stutter, No Jitter, just smooth playback, as if it was already rendered.

However, on my main Video Editing PC which has the same i7, 16gb ram and a Cuda Card, or my Top End same spec Laptop PC, it just wont play back without dropping frames and stuttering through each dissolve? (Even though the line is Yellow) and it is using the Cuda Cards? I record and edit using the same AVCHD .MTS and MP4 files as I have done for many years before upgrading to CC.

I have rolled back Windows, and CC to many earlier versions without success. I have managed after lot's of attempts to locate a few  "support technicians" < I use the title very loosely because after having a remote session with all 3 people from Adobe, I soon realised that they did not have a clue and were probarbly sat in a shed at the bottom of a garden somewhere in India? I have today waited on another "higher technician" to call me his morning at 10am. It is now 8pm and still no call? They are just useless, but are happy to take my monthly subscription?

This issue has been with me now for a few weeks since upgrading to Premiere CC and I have literally tried everything without success. My only option now is to roll back to windows 7, install CS6 from disc and stay with that. I know there will be some additions I may lose from CC but at least I wont be paying for a product that is faulty and with Shite support!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is probably a dead thread but did anyone figure this out? Having the same issue in 2021.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
May 01, 2021 May 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very few transitions are GPU accelerated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue, adding transitions between 2 sequences, it stutters badly. I have an HP Omen laptop, i7 10 series CPU, RTX2080 Super, 16GB RAM, SSD Drive. Stutttttttter, stutttttttter stuttttttter, baddddddly, also get stuttering with speed adjustments. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2021 Dec 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had similar problem for a month. Just go to Preferances > Timeline, and change the default period from frames to seconds.

This technique worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2023 Feb 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this worked for me as well except i had to go to Preferances > Timeline, and change the default period from seconds to frames and then back to frames to seconds right after on the first two options. hit okay and playback should be smooth with transitions, until its not again but you just repeat the process lol. 2023 devs am i right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately did not seem to work for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 10, 2022 Oct 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone had a solution to this? I have the same kind of problem. While playing the sequence there is no problem. But when I add a cross dissolve between 2 video clips it starts to stutter playback. I tried proxies (everything except the h.264), which didn't help. I tried setting the playback resolution to 1/4 which didn't help either. The sequence is only 50 minutes long and doesn't have any effects added to it. Only stuttering starts to happen when a transition is added between to video clips. 

My specs are: 

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT

RAM: 32 GB 3200 Mhz DDR4

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x 8 core 

External SSD: Samsung T5

Based off my specs I should be able to run premiere pro I think, I compared it with the premiere pro system requirements. 

Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sure wish someone would be able to resolve this issue.  I'm new to using PP, but am having the EXACT same issue.  Everything is smooth on 75% of my transitions.  There a just a few that are bad, and when they are bad, they are BAD!  Computer processor is NOT the issue on my end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it turns out the choppy playback only happens when previewing the file in the PP application.  Once it is exported in your chosen format, all transitions are smooth like thay are supposed to be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2023 Jul 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested this because this issue is still happening in July of 2023... after the video is exported from the software it does play smoothly. Just makes it so hard to edit with such choppy videos but I guess at least it exports smoothly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@18 Sarge  Let me guess, that 25% BAD ones, they are not from the list below, are they: 

gpu transitions.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2023 Nov 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes! Those are the exact ones that it happens with for and I have all high end specs 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines