• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clicking on "File" locks up Premiere

Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of this morning when I load up a project and make a change, I go to"File" to save or export and premiere automaticly freezes and stops responding. I can make changes or edits but when I click on the File menue it stops working.

TOPICS
Crash , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't mind setting your user prefs back to default you can hold shift when you click the PP icon and a dialog will offer to do that. There are some other options you can clear also, while doing that. PP 23.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried as you suggested, also cleared the cache, but still froze when I tred to save it. I also tried clicking on "edit" to check to check the preferences, but it just locked up without loading the preferences. Nothing has changed since editing this project last night, when it worked fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you starting from a project or the regular PP icon. 

Try the plain PP icon, close the welcome screen and then click the file menu, see what you get.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried opening it up both ways and get the same results. Opening it up with the PP icon and then clicking file to open the project works. BUT, if I make a small change in the project and click file to save it, it highlights the file icon then locks up and tell me that it's not responding. I left it alone for about a half hour this morning with no reuslts, then shut it down. I have also re-booted my computer several times and get the same results. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you save it with ctrl-s?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a change on a font and hit Ctrl-S and it saved, but I clicked on "file" to try and export it, and it locked up. I might try and open up a new project on a different hard drive and see what happens regarding the menu glitch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, Windows 10 and was recently updated. That shouldn't have anything to do with it. I have been editing on this project since last week with no problems, during that time there have been no updates on windows or any plug-ins. Going to try and save with Ctrl-S.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started up a project on a different drive. Imported a video file. Made a cut in the middle and made a volume change. Everything worked fine to that point. I checked all of the menus and the all worked, except the "file" menue. When I hovered my mouse pointer over it, Premiere locked up, without even clicking on it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems so basic. You did reset the preferences right? I wasn't quite clear on that. You can look around the forum, otherwise I'd be getting near a reinstall of PP only. And if that doesn't help then you would need to run the Adobe Cleaner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a look at some of these:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Premiere%20Pro%20can%27t+click+file+menu.

Do let us know if you find something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did reset the preferences. I forgot to mention that after shutting down Premiere, it produces an error report, which I have forwarded the reports. I tried earlier to attach the file here, but I was informed it didn't support that file name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first video on that search suggested you change the preference in EDIT/Preferences/Device Control. To None.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that. When I open up Premiere, without opening up a project, when I click on Edit/preferences, Premiere locks up, so I can't even get to preferences. It would be nice if I could attach that DMP file that Premiere produces after each crash. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to open up the DMP file for the crash report:

Loading Dump File [C:\Users\mirag\AppData\Local\Temp\Adobe\Premiere Pro\23.0\SentryIO-db\reports\949ebf82-423a-4751-8428-6e4a5c1b4cdc.dmp]
User Mini Dump File: Only registers, stack and portions of memory are available

Symbol search path is: srv*
Executable search path is:
Windows 10 Version 19045 (2130) MP (8 procs) Free x64
Product: WinNt
Edition build lab: Windows NT 10.0.19045.2130
Machine Name:
Debug session time: Wed Mar 22 15:30:14.000 2023 (UTC - 7:00)
System Uptime: not available
Process Uptime: 0 days 0:01:00.000
Loading unloaded module list
This dump file has an exception of interest stored in it.
The stored exception information can be accessed via .ecxr.
(3b5c.3b20): Unknown exception - code 40000015 (first/second chance not available)
For analysis of this file, run !analyze -v
*** WARNING: Unable to verify checksum for ntdll.dll
*** WARNING: Unable to verify checksum for KERNELBASE.dll
ntdll!NtDelayExecution+0x14:
00007fff`5168d744 c3 ret

Not sure, but I hope this will help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't feel like reinstalling PP, then I'd suggest chatting with support. (we are user to user here). If you only have 23.0 installed you might want to install 23.2. I have like a dozen of each of those two files (towards to bottom of your report) on my boot drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your effort and support. I only have a few things to complete this project. What I plan on doing tomorrow is opening it up, finish the edits, and use key commands to save and render it out. I might have to do a complete install afterwards. It's so strange that this would happen overnight. Anyway, I will try and contact support. Those DMP files are supposed to be forwarderd to support and they say they will get back. I would hate to uninstall and install again, due to all the plug-ins. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That dialog holding shift as you start PP has a Disable 3rd party plugins (one-time only) option, I'd try that right away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2023 Apr 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing has suddenly happened to me, did you fix it? I have reset, uninstalled, downloaded new gfx drivers to no avail. File menu causes it to crash, other menus seem ok. Doing my head in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I called support and had someone go into my computer and so a few things.
It stopped happening for one day, and now it's back to locking up when I
click on the "file" menu. As I am in the middle of editing a film, I am
using keyboard shortcuts so I don't have to use the "file" menu. I plan on
trying to get it fixed again after I finish this project. I also tried just
about everything I could think of, uninstalling and reinstalling, getting
rid of all my plugins, checking the gfx drivers to no avail. Using the
keyboard shortcuts works for now.

--

Wayne Clark
Mirage Productions, International
909-240-6950
www.miragepro.net

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that's a good call, didnt think to use the shortcut key to export, at least I can do that for now. Tried al I can, I suspect this is a windows update causing the problem and Adobe has to catch up. Can't see whar else it could be.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2023 May 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thought I would get by it by installing the beta but that crashes just the same. Has yours started working yet? I have uninstalled everything, plugins, ran it without addons, in safe mode and as admin, still crashes going to the file menu and/or edit settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2023 May 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also tried all those things and nothing seems to work. As I am still working on this film, I continue to use the keyboard shortcuts with no problems. I did try clicking on the file menu last week and the same thing happened. One thing that also happens with me is when I shut down Premiere, is that it takes a while and after I get a prompt to send a report to Adobe, telling them about the problem. I did that for a couple of weeks, but no response. So now I just click on "Don't Send". You might try and contact support directly, like I did. It did work for a couple of times then went back to locking back up again. I have another two weeks to go on the film, and then contact them again. Don't want to risk losing all the work done now. If it isn't solved, I probably will just start using using DaVinci. By the way, it only happens with Premiere, not After Effects or any of the other programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2023 May 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah DaVinci is on my radar now. I just downloaded the free version to test it. Probably makes economic sense as the full version is reasonable for what it contains and no subscription. 

Not seeing anyone with my Edit/Preferences problem so far and they only appear to be addressing the File/Export problem at this time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines