• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clip markers disappear after opening project on other system

Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open a project that I saved on another system, the clip markers aren't showing up on interview clips I had marked up.

Steps:

- I started the project on my system, with the now understood mistake that "Write clip markers to XMP" was checked ON initially. So all the markers I was making were being written to the XMP info tagged to the media on MY system.

- I traveled to another city and worked on the project on the client's system, linking to COPIES of all the media

- All the clip markers I had made in the original project don't show up, because I had had that "Write clips markers" selection ON originally, so...

- I TURN OFF "Write clip markers to XMP" in the preferences, and proceed to work on NEW clips, adding markers to them, and assume that PPro is saving my work to the PROJECT FILE, now that that setting is off.

- I returned to my own system, opened up the project file, and discover that all of the clip markers I made while on my client's system are NOT showing up on the work I did while I was out of town. But, the original markers from before I traveled are showing up, as expected, in the clips I marked up then

- So...what the heck? What am I doing wrong? Or what's wrong with PPro? What's the best course of action going forward with adding markers to clips, if I'm going to share my project file with my client, to access on his system?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing I've seen with clip markers is that you need to travel with the media, not just the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe Jim's answer is correct, that PrPro stores the xmp files with the media, not with the project file. So you may need to navigate to your media folders, sort by file type, select the xml's and copy them to a flash drive and take them with you, then copy them into the folders with the appropriate media there. And of course, if you add more markers ... copy the xml files from the media folders back to flashdrive, and put them with your copy of the media on return.

I hope someone has a simpler suggestion, but I think that's the workflow. Not ... perhaps ... slick as we'd like.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I understand is that turning OFF that setting "Write clip markers to XMP" means exactly that all subsequent markers get written to the project file, NOT the media.

Also, I don't see any XMP files anywhere, which is in keeping with what their literature says, in that the XMP is 'tagged onto the source clip', it's not written as a separate file. Are you seeing separate files somewhere?

But I noticed to switched to saying the XML's (not XMPs)...what do you mean by that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about the slipup on xml versus xmp. Had just finished a response to another person very much centered on xml ... sigh.

Depending on the media type, the stage of the moon & tides, who knows what ... xmp files at times are written into the files, and for some media, into separate xmp files.

The couple times I've taken a project file with markers from my desktop, and copied it to my laptop ... without the "Write clip markers to XMP" turned on ... there were no markers in the project when I loaded it onto my laptop. Of course, clip & sequence markers aren't the same thing ... but when I then tested, I didn't get either clip or sequence (timeline) markers showing in the project on my laptop.

I've been told by others my marker technique was off, which it probably is. I was hoping it would be simple, but ... I've ended up not doing a lot with markers, using pen & a project notebook instead. I know my markers then ... and besides, I give myself more description of what's going on that I do in the marker descriptions most of the time.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish someone from Adobe would weigh in on this, because this is NOT workable, or acceptable. Adding markers – especially for doc work like I do – is a critical tool for keeping track of interviews and any number of things. That the program exhibits such unreliable behavior makes me nuts. We shouldn't have to worry about our 'marker technique'!!! Sometimes this program seems like it's working against us

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had explained to me how this works ... but I've had difficulty getting it to work when I've tried it myself. It's at least ... not obvious, shall we say? ... as to how to do this.

And there's been many threads from people trying to sort out making markers say in Prelude expecting to then use them in PrPro.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2017 Jun 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

The only workaround I have found so far for this -- ie, starting a project with the "write clip markers to XMP" box checked and making lots of markers, using one set of media - then trying to share that project with someone using a cloned set of the media and realizing the markers are not showing up - and then unchecking the box and trying to see those markers using a different set of media -- ** is to put a NEW marker on each and every clip that already has markers; then resave and share. With this extra step, Premiere re-saves that information in a new way and you can see markers no matter what media set you are using. Tedious, but perhaps a lifesaver for some...!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2017 Sep 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found an article stating that denying write access to the Media (make the Media read only) could help. Or to play with this (be careful!).  But this was no soltion to my similar Problem (see below).

Apparently Premiere discards Project Level Metadata if there is a missmatch or vice versa.

At least this is the behaviour stated here:

A Solution To The Clip Markers Issue In Premiere | Creative Impatience

But I'm not shure how Premiere prioritizes Project Metadata over File-Metatdata or vice versa excactly. Meaning: how are conflicts resolved? Apparently no User interaction is possible? Or is any?

Problem in my case:

1.) I added Clipmarkers on my Home Machine. On an Image Sequence Masterclip shared via Cloud with my Office.

2.) Went to Office and on opening the Project from the Cloud all the Clipmarkers are shown briefly but then suddenly dissapear?!

not a Solution:

Altering the write access media in any way to the Mediafiles (jpg Sequence) doesn't resolve the problem. Interestingly if I do not reconnect the Masterclip on openning (I changed the directory name prior opening the project, so the Clip is offline in Premiere) THEN all my previously added markers are there! If I reconnect the Clip they dissapear.

So something is messed up there but what? At least I could save my markers as .csv. But no reimport to the reconnected clip is possible (right?).

! Adobe should take care of this. For instance a meaningful Dialogbox could appear that there is a missmatch between Mediafile and Project-Level Metadata. Asking the User which Metadata to keep.

Metadata-handling is essential for Teamwork and shared Projects.

hope this helps someone

Christian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What christiang30550254 said is exactly my problem.

I am working on a docuseries with multiple editors. We have "write clip markers to XMP" unchecked and we each have separate copies of the media. We share project files back and forth to share new marked clips and because Premiere is incapable of searching marker metadata project wide (this is astounding), we use a third party extension called powersearch to search for keywords in our project.

Sometimes the markers come through when the project files are sent over the cloud, but all markers will randomly disappear eventually. 

When this does eventually happen, we arrive at one of Premieres fatal flaws for professional workflows - and that is their duplicate media architecture. They have tried to bandaid this with the "consolidate duplictes" function, but it is just that: a bandaid.

If  I lose all my markers on a clip (or several) - literally hundreds to thousands of marks. If I try to re-import the same clip that does have the markers and "consolidate duplicates", it defaults to the markerless version (if it even works).

If I try to delete the markerless clip, it deletes all instances of it in every sequence! This is a major flaw! Davinci Resolve does not do this, nor other programs I am aware of. If you delete a clip in the project window in any of those other programs, it does not delete it out of the sequences!

This makes even workarounds impossible. I have been a premeire user for over 10 years, but as I am ramping up to larger-scale productions with multiple editors, Premiere just doesn't seem adequate. Issues like this have been present on the forums for years and no solution. We a seriously looking into AVID because at least it is stable with basic functionality like markers...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using the older stand-alone Premiere Pro projects or working within a Productions model?

Just out of curiosity.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the standard Premiere version 14.0.

I have also discovered that the markers are there when I open the original project with the media offline. It isn't until I reconnect the media that the markers disappear - which leads me to believe it is something to do with XMP, even though all the XMP preferences are turned off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea ... sounds like it's looking either at the files themselves or for a sidecar XMP, isn't finding it, so 'removes' the markers.

I've seen a full description somewhere written by an engineer, of what the three options ... Write XMP ID to files on import, Write Clip Markers to XMP, and Enable Clip and XMP metadata linking do. And it wan't exactly what I was expecting, after all the implications were covered.

It was a lot of 'if you want X, check & but not Z, but understand Q will also happen; to get non-Q, uncheck both X and Z; to get ... " and it went on a bit.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you happen to know where I might find this article?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I usually refer editors that need to share Marker data but aren't sharing a common media set here: http://www.creativeimpatience.com/premiere-pro-clip-markers-solved/ - It's the follow up article to the one tthat was earlier linked to.

If you have XMP clip data turned off, then the clip marker data travels with the Project file that is shared, not the media. 

Luke, sorry to hear that your marker data somehow gets lost when working with write XMP clip data off. Shortcomings in this workflow can be addressed with a bug report here. Let us know when you've made that so we can help with an upvote.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines