Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

'Clone' clip like Avid

New Here ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Does anybody know if there is a way to 'clone' a clip in Premiere, like you can in Avid?

This making another clip that shares the same properties. So if you change the name or any metadata of one, the name or metadata of another will also change. This allows the same clip to exist in different bins.

I am trying to have my dailies exist both in a 'dailies' bin and a 'scene' bin.

This is achieved in Avid by option dragging a clip to another bin.

Best,

Will

TOPICS
Editing , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clips don't have properties pre-applied, meaning you can't drag a clip in the timeline with pre-applied effects. If you want to duplicate it in the timeline, option dragging is the same in Premiere as Avid. You can transfer effects from one layer to another by copying the clip and right clicking on the clip you want to add the effects to and clicking "Paste Event Attributes".

~Jake

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jake,

Thanks for the reply. I'm talking about cloning clips in the bin. I want to be able to have one clip exist in two bins. Then, if I make a name or metadata change to one of them, it affects the other.

This is a feature in Avid that's used frequently when organising scripted dramas. You'll have a 'dailies' bin, with all the footage for that day, and multiple 'scene' bins, with clips belonging to particular scenes.

This way, you can look over everything shot on a particular day and make metadata changes, and it will ripple through to the scene bins.

Will

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can clone clips in the media bins by right clicking and clicking "Duplicate", but I'm not sure you can apply effects to a clip that you can then drag into the timeline with those effects. Therefore, duplicating it and having the effects change on both if only one is modified is most likely not possible.

Maybe there is something like this? (I don't think so) But if you can't find anything about this on Google, I would think this isn't a feature that exists in Premiere. Switch back to Avid if you still have it.

~Jake

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Effects applied directly to a clip in a bin, or on the Source tab in the Effects Control Panel for clips on sequences, are applied as a "Source" effect on all uses of any part of that clip anywhere in the project.

You can test whether a duplicated clip would reflect changes easily enough, but I don't think so. As in Premiere, the reason for duping a clip is to get a separate instance that is not affected by changes to the other one.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines