• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Closed captions no longer working with .mpg files? (Premiere Pro 14.9, and earlier)

Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2019 Jun 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to create closed captions for a television program that is mastered as an .mpg file, but lately, the captions have been burned into the video so that they can't be turned off and on.  When I investigated, I realized that "Embed in output file" is no longer an option for .mpg exports...only Quicktime.  The natural workaround was to export as .mov, and then change the extension to .mpg, but it's not working.  The files won't play in VLC.

Notably, I am not creating the caption files in Premiere.  Captions are being created elsewhere, and I am importing pc.scc (Premiere compatible) captions into the project, and exporting them with the video.  Everything works properly in Premiere, but the exports do not have caption files.

I'm under the gun to get this resolved ASAP, as programs will be airing soon.  Can someone please offer me some insight as to why, in the previous version of Premiere, embedded captions worked with .mpg exports, but now they don't?  It's not even an option.  The only options with .mpg export captions are "none", "create sidecar file", and "burn into video".

How do I export .mpg videos with embedded captions in Premiere Pro?

Thank you so much in advance for your help!

TOPICS
Editing , Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 19, 2019 Jun 19, 2019

OK, so after hours and hours of testing & working with the TV station, I finally found a solution that works.  I am posting it here, just in case anyone else is having trouble embedding CEA-708 captions in Premiere.  The process is a little convoluted, but it works.  Unfortunately, Handbrake did not work for me.  This is the process that worked:

1. Go to www.rev.com/captionconverter
  2. Upload .srt caption file, and convert to .mcc
  3. Import into Premiere.
  4. Right click on caption file (before adding to timelin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll have to use another program to embed in mpg. In PR, you can only embed in moving and mxf. Export as sidecar to get the captions.

There is a feature request for embedding in mpg, but not likely soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response, Stan.

Although that's disappointing to hear.  What year is this again?  2019, and Adobe Premiere can't deliver usable closed captions yet?  What software would you recommend for adding closed captions to .mpg files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on my phone until later tonight, and can't look at my notes. I'll report back later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upvote the feature request:

Please add caption embedding for mpeg2 files! – Adobe video & audio apps

My notes add nothing. I think someone explored whether a tool like FFMPEG could create the embedded file

You might contact a company such as 3PlayMedia or another captioning company to see if they can point you in the right direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2019 Jun 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Stan.  I genuinely appreciate your taking the time to help.  I think I may have found a solution in Handbrake.  It's a free program for creating captions, and it seems to be working so far.  Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 08, 2019 Jun 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought Handbrake would only export an mp4. I think it will embed captions. Let us know what you find.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2019 Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so after hours and hours of testing & working with the TV station, I finally found a solution that works.  I am posting it here, just in case anyone else is having trouble embedding CEA-708 captions in Premiere.  The process is a little convoluted, but it works.  Unfortunately, Handbrake did not work for me.  This is the process that worked:

1. Go to www.rev.com/captionconverter
  2. Upload .srt caption file, and convert to .mcc
  3. Import into Premiere.
  4. Right click on caption file (before adding to timeline).
  5. Modify>Captions
  6. Change from CEA-608 to CEA-708.  Service 1.
  7. Add .mcc file to Sequence, which should be 1080i.  (720p didn't work for some reason).
  8. Export as MXF OP1a.
  9. Preset: Embed Captions
  10. (You will not be able to see the captions in Premiere, but they’ll work at the TV station).

I hope this works for anyone else who has been beating their heads against the wall trying to work with captions in Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Congrats on finding a way!

Thanks for confirming that handbrake did not work.

The most important bit of info is that the station could take .MXF, since PR can embed to mxf.

Another work flow that works is to set the "import" settings in the caption tab to import .srt as 708.

Then export as MXF.

I cannot test right now, but I believe this should work just fine.

You can see the captions in PR as long as you set the program monitor to show captions, and then set the caption type to 708.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Stan,

I couldn't figure out how to set the captions to show 708 in Premiere.  Can you tell me how to do this?

George

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Wrench" icon in the program monitor. There is one option to turn closed captions on. Another to set which type to show.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant!  Thank you!  I spent half an hour last night trying to figure that out, and got nowhere.  That solved it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is a viable option, use it all the time for stations that take MXF and also H264.  If you need an Mpeg file with 608 708 captioning, the only solution i have found is the program Captionmaker Pro.  Render the video in Adobe premiere then use Captionmaker Pro/Mac Caption to embed the 608/708 captions into the mpg file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines