Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

cloud files downloading at startup

Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I am running out of space in my HD and thus, after creating my video piece, I send all the raw files up to the cloud (using "Free Space" in MacOS OneDrive virtual folder).

Now, when I launch Premiere Pro (not the project, just the app), it will re-download/sync all the files from the last project before actually opening the software. This, of course, can be several Gb and take ages.

Why does the app do this? I am not opening the project, just he app (to start a new project, with new files)

Is there any way to avoid it?

Thanks!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you're using OneDrive, uploading files to the cloud, then deleting them locally? Then opening Premiere is causing OneDrive to download files? What happens if you upload your files, delete them locally, the exit OneDrive, then open Premiere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff, thanks for your answer!

If I exit OneDrive (or pause sync for a while), then Premiere opens just fine. But the issue remains on why does it need to download the files from the last opened project. I would understand that if I were trying to open the project, but I am not. I want to create a new one.

It looks to me as if premiere were expecting the user to keep editing the last project and preparing everything in advance, like checking the links to media and so on. That would be cool sometimes, but I wonder if there is any way to just switch this feature off cos, in my particular case, it is very annoying and I expect Adobe to give a better user experience (one avoiding nasty workarounds like pausing OneDrive to open a piece of software).

thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think Premiere has any hooks into OneDrive for even the ability to trigger a download from the cloud. Do you have any autosave or cache locations pointed to a OneDrive storage location?

And just to be clear: I am not an Adobe employee. I cannot change the software. I can only give you advice/best practics/workarounds based on personal experience. If you need official Adobe support you should be using their official support channels: https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html This forum is generally a user to user forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your expert help, Jeff!

I will use the "pause sync" workaround. It works and is mostly painless. 

Sorry if you took my complaint on the user experience personally. It was just a general complaint about the product, not that I was in any way asking you any action. My fault and my apologies (english, you see, is not my mother language).

See you around, super-users! 😜

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere doesn't tell OneDrive what to do ... when you access the file, OneDrive "caches" the file to local storage because the service cannot support actual work with the file not on local storage.

The only service I know of that can actually handle this type of workflow is LucidLink, and if you're well above 200Mbps internet constant ... not peak or short-term ... service from your ISP and local network. For some file types, mostly intraframes like ProRes, Cineform, and DNx variants, LucidLink can work for editing with a 'virtual' local drive that Premiere 'sees' but the actual files are out on whatever servers you've chosen.

My partner Mo is in Cape Town. I'm in Oregon. Our 'server' is an Amazon S3 in London. I can run some of our projects using media stored on that S3 server, provided to Premiere by LucidLink's amazingly pointed service.

OneDrive can't come close, nor most other online storage services.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil,

Thanks for your answer!

Sure, accessing cloud files from premiere is not the best way to edit heavy video pieces, I agree.

The thing here is that I am not accessing the files in the cloud, I am just opening the software to create a new project (with locally sotred files) and premiere, somehow, starts preparing the last project's files, just in case. And these old files are the ones I have in the cloud to free space in my HD.

If there were any way to avoid this "preparation" action, it would be nice.

Bye!

Martí

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The demos for LucidLink at trade shows always look impressive.

https://www.lucidlink.com

I'm not sure we have a good replacement for fast, large capacity, external storage yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines