• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clunky mouse when trying to change value settings (in effects and elsewheree)

Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2017 May 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been trying to find an answer for this but I'm not able to.

So my problem is that when I try to change a dragable setting with my mouse in let's say the effects controls windows it's stuck for quite a while, almost like a snap, before I can move it. So let's say I'm trying to change the opacity value. I click on the 100%, my mouse changes icon and I drag left or right. It doesn't do anything until I drag quite a bit more when it suddenly jumps quite a big value leap. So let's say I wanna fine tune the opacity down to about 95%. Then I have to drag hard so it moves from it's semi-locked/snapped 100% so it gets to like 70% or lower and then move it up carefully. Super annoying and I don't have any problem with this in AE, Illustrator or PS. Dunno what's up, didn't find anything in preferences about it. Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had that happen in earlier versions of premiere Pro.  Cleaning up temporary files and restarting the computer worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response. Where do I find temp files? Is it the media cache? I tried clearing that (do it once in a while) and rebooting but it's still the same problem I'm afraid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried removing them now and restarting the computer but I still have the same problem unfortunately 😕 Any other guesses?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure your numlock key is on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's on! I always have it on. Double checked now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you drag up/down instead of left/right? Same lag?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, same thing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More guessing:

Create a new project and import the old project into the new project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about if you drag the slider underneath the opacity setting? (click down arrow to left of Opacity to reveal the slider)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you guys for trying to help me!
New project does nothing to my problem.

Yes Horshack, that does work, if only using the slider I get no snapping or dragging issues whatsoever. But with properties like position, anchor point ettc there is no slider underneath so I would love resolving this issue nonetheless. But I do appreciate that tip, I will begin using that now for properties which has it.    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't a solution to your problem but just an FYI, if you hold the Ctrl key (Windows) / Command (Mac) down while dragging it will reduce the increment of the mouse movements. Conversely, holding the Shift key does the opposite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 31, 2020 Dec 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realise this is an old post by now, but this seems to be almost the best workaround.

I say 'almost' because it turns out holding Ctrl will also reduce it to minimal increments while at the same time rounding the movements off to the nearest whole number. That's (almost) perfect - I can say 'I just want to go 2 more pixels' and not have to worry about finding it at a fiddly overkill resolution of 1 decimal place.

Thanks for the tip-off!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*Alt, not Ctrl. I can't see a way to edit...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

throw something at me if you think I'm asking the obvious, but you do know you can doubleclick on the numeric value and just manually put the numbers in?  Gotta say I find dragging with the mouse works beautifully sometimes and sometimes not so the manual approach is my fallback technique.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, but then you have to slow down your workflow, plus do a lot of trial and error entering numbers > hitting return > checking to see if it's where you wanted it > clicking the number again > repeat, repeat...

Dragging lets you see in real time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never been able to get this working as it should, even with version 2017.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2017 May 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I booted up Premiere for the first time in a few weeks and I have the same problem now. It worked fine earlier this month. Did you ever find a fix? I updated to the most current version hoping it would resolve the issue but no luck. I don't know how a full-time, professional editor deals with this stuff, under pressure, under deadlines, "oops, my NLE is broken again. Guess I'll spend a few hours online asking fellow users how to fix it or submit a bug report and keep my fingers crossed." I guess they probably use Avid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2017 May 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I never found a fix :/. Haha yeah I hear you. I have been learning Avid aswell now but want to use both for different things. It's annoying but you can work around it I guess. Hopefully it'll be gone in some update soon, let me know if you find anything!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 05, 2020 Jul 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's 2020 and  I found myself having the same problem.  What I found out from some other posts is that it has something to do with Windows mouse speed (sensitivity) settings and a multi resolution mouse.  I had my mouse at highest sensitivy (using the adjustment buttons on the mouse itself) and Windows' speed/sensitivity all the way down.  This changed the way that Premiere recognized the mouse's movements.

As Premiere is one of my primary tools, this had to work so I set the speed of my mouse to max in Window's settings, and then adjusted sensitivity back down using the buttons on the mouse itself, and this seems to work just fine for me.

I will say that Premiere should probably update to recognize the mouse movement and speed regardless of what settings are in Windows.  If it moves a certain (small) distance in screen space, it should adjust the value.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone finding this in 2021.

I searched for weeks. Two options (No other "odobe advice" works anyway)

1. If you set your windows mouse setting dpi way up, this fixes it, but then you have a mouse pointer that is clunky. (happens when you have to set the mouse itself back to 100 dpi to compinsate for the windows mouse dpi settings that is way up)

2. Easy way, without doing any settings. Flick your mouse to the right/left fast, way over what is normal. It then becomes "alive/wakes up" and then set it as it is now *functioning.

This is clearly an ADOBE FUALTY MOUSE DPI BUG thing that needs to be patched in the software.

Hope this helps someone out there. Take care

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@MHoeckerand @jack5E5F thanks for your answers, it really works!

In my case it was just fine to raise mouse sensivity in Windows settings from 5/10 to 6/10.

And lowering mouse DPI from 800 to 500 to keep the same speed.

Now it catchs even super small movements since I start moving my mouse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2024 Mar 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's perfectly worked for me. Now changing values in Premier Pro is super fast. It's just cranking up the Windows setting to maximum and adjusting the mouse DPI in the respective mouse App setting. I'm using HyperX PulseFire Haste and adjusted the DPI setting in their Ngenuity software. Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On version 2023 and still with this problem.... the only thing that worked but it's not exactly a fix.. was to set the dpi of the mouse with the mouse software to the lowest.. and then the windows sensitivity to max. Now my mouse feels a bit unconfortable but premiere works finally. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines