• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

color and gamma shift after exporting

New Here ,
Apr 10, 2022 Apr 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cant figure out why my color and gamma change from what I color corrected them to after exportingwhat.jpg

TOPICS
Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 10, 2022 Apr 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That looks like Window's Media player?

What's your settings for your monitor? Are you running it in Rec.709, or HDR?

Do you have the Preferences option for Display color management checked?

And what is the color space of the media, and of the timline?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it is

Not sure how to check but most likely HDR but not sure how that affects my exported video, they look different on the same screen

Yes 

The footage was shot with Clog-3 and was color corrected with a Rec.709 LUT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't know how to check and set for SDR/Rec.709 and HDR, well ... that's something you now have to learn. Premiere used to be a bog-stock Rec.709 app for color, from media defaults through timeline/display/exports.

It isn't any more, because the media isn't all Rec.709. And many deliverables will at some point need to be HDR ... which uses a different color space and dynamic range. Requiring different settings in the OS and monitor, typically.

HDR media has two differences from SDR/Rec.709 ... color space and dynamic range.

The color space/volume of HDR/Rec2100 is massive compared to the sRGB color range/volume of SDR. Far more hues and "deeper" saturation to the colors than sRGB allows.

And SDR/Rec.709 is limited to 100 nits of brightness ... where HDR "starts" at 400 nits, and most pro produced material is 1,000 nits or more.

So ... those are both massive differences, Premiere no longer guesses which you need, you have to tell it what to do. That's new with the Pr2022 series.

To check your media's color space/dynamic range ... go to the Project panel, and right-click your clips and select "Properties" ... which will tell you how Premiere 'reads' the metadata for your files for all sorts of things, including color space. Rec.709 is SDR, if you see HLG or PQ, those are both in HDR space.

To check your sequence color space/dynamic range, with the Timeline panel selected, go to the Sequence menu, Sequence Settings, and look for the color management options. It will show typically either Rec.709 (SDR) or HLG or PQ, again both of the latter being HDR.

You say your media is Clog-3, I assume that's Canon's log-3 form, right?

I'm more familiar with how Premiere is 'seeing' the Sony logs (and mis-reading them at times)so rather than making assumptions I'll ask questions.

If you simply drag a clip from the bin to a new sequence, is the image all blown out? Way over bright? Or is it the log-look of being gray?

What is Premiere showing in Clip Properties mentioned above for color space?

What is your sequence color space?

Where did you apply the C-log3 LUT?

And another question ... what preset did you use for export?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes my media is canon log 3, its recorded in a flat profile but i color corrected later on, its not blown out but kind of grey and desaturated

the clips are in rec.709 colorspace

i applied the lut on the timeline

and i was using h.264 high quality hd and had this problem, but its persistant for any others that i choose

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the answers ...

Log media does look "flat" when dropped on a Rec.709 timeline. No matter the camera profile. Grey and desaturated. We then need to "normalize" the file to appear correctly within Rec.709.

And that's where the use of a transform LUT or manually expanding contrast/sat and trimming exposure come in, which clearly you had performed.

So ... the media still looks "good" on the sequence within Premiere, but the exported media outside of Premiere is darker. Now we need to get to monitor settings within and without Premiere.

Do you have the Preferences option for "Display color space" checked?

What is your monitor, and what color space/mode is it set for?

Do you have HDR enabled within the Windows monitor settings?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the Preferences option for "Display color space" checked?

i have something called display color management checked but i don't see color space

What is your monitor, and what color space/mode is it set for?

asus rog swift 1444p, and im unsure where to find that

Do you have HDR enabled within the Windows monitor settings?

i dont think im capable of enabling themn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're correct about the terminology of the display color management option in the Preferences.

As to the monitor, you would check that with the Monitor's settings. That monitor is listed as having both HDR and P3 color space options. If it is running in those modes, it would definitely affect the image you see outside of Premiere.

So you would need to check with the operating manual for the monitor.

Then for the OS, right-click any blank section of the basic Windows UI area, and choose "Display Settings". Check what color profile Windows is using. And make sure in your Windows Display settings, for "Windows HD Color Settings" , that the "Use HDR" option is set to No.

The image here is my Windows Display settings dialog ... the red marks I added show the monitor I selected, and the ICC profile Windows is using with it. Your show profile will be different, but please note down what it is.

RNeilHaugen_0-1649719293938.png

And at the bottom you can see the Windows HD Color ... that's the beginning of the section on enabling HDR. Make sure that is set as below ... to off.

RNeilHaugen_1-1649719433360.png

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

HDR is off on windows end and im unable to even enable it 

i looked into my moniters specifically (asus rog pg278qr) and hdr is mot supported

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines