Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

color difference in export

New Here ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I use Premiere pro on Macbook Pro. When I export, the colors look different. I've read a solution here before. It was recommended to install a look in the Effects section. I tried this solution but in export the colors are still different from what I see in the program. What should I do? Is there anyone who can help?

TOPICS
Error or problem , Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

first of all thank you very much but my problem is not with the color burst, there is a small difference but this difference bothers me. Ekran Resmi 2022-09-05 13.25.40.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think this is probably due to the Apple decision to use an incorrect gamma for displaying Rec.709 media.

The long-establishd standard for Rec.709 (digital image capture in SDR) includes the Bt1886 display transform addition from many years back, when CRT monitors were replaced by digital monitors. That standard specified gamma 2.4 dsiplay in a darkened room environment, or 2.2 in a bright or "office" lighting.

In all their wisdom, Apple chose to leave off the Bt.1886 display transform and simply use the camera (scene transform) gamma of 1.96.

There is no "fix" as you can't create a file to look the same when displayed with widely varying gamma on the display device. And I work with and teach pro colorists, mostly Mac based (naturally) ... and they're royally pissed off at that decision.

In Premiere, make sure you set the Preferences option of Display Color Management on. At least, within Premiere, you'll get the most accurate view it can manage.

But outside of Premiere on a Mac ... the file won't be the same. Adobe published a "gamma correction LUT" to be used at export that darkens the shadows so the image in QuickTime player looks similar to what it did within Premiere.

But then, that image viewed on any screen using standard Rec.709 standards is way too dark!

Resolve has the export option of "Rec.709-A", and the A is explicitly for Apple ... which applies a different NLC tag to the file, tricking ColorSync on the Macs to display using gamma 2.4.

But ... on most non-Mac screens, that file will (as with the Adobe LUT) display way too dark.

You probably don't notice that all the pro-produced Rec.709 media you see on that machine is "off", because ... that's the way it all looks, it's "normal" for you.

And no one will ever see exactly what you see on your screen anyway as every screen and viewing environment will be different and unfortunately "unique" anyway. So colorists create to tightly controlled situations simply to ensure their media is "the same" on any device as other pro produced media.

Not ever expecting anyone will see exactly what the colorist saw ... which never, ever happens.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines