• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color drastically different after export

Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2022 Sep 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to export a project to an h.264 file and everytime I export the color comes out drastically different. I have exported this way for years and never had any issues. See below for color examples and export settings.

Crunchy Girl_Correct.jpg

Crunchy Still_Messed Up .jpg

  

Screenshot (9).png

Screenshot (10).png

  

  

TOPICS
Export , Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The clip is undoubtedly an HLG clip, maybe from an iPhone. And you worked with it on an SDR/Rec.709 timeline, and exported with a standard SDR/Rec.709 preset. That will still treat an HDR clip as if it is 'meant' to be HDR.

So ... right-click on the clip in the Project panel/bin. Modify/Intepret Footage, select Override and set to Rec.709.

Now export and you should be ok.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for responding.

I beileve I did what you said but I am still having the same issue....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, it was shot on an Panosonic Lumix S5 if that helps...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other than the first pair of clips, where the one is radically brighter than the others, I can't tell from your screengrabs what you expect me to see.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2022 Sep 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm showing you that Im making the changes you suggested and when I export it-the colors are still way brighter and not the same as my grade in the timeline. Screenshot (14) is how it looks when exported. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 06, 2022 Sep 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you export directly from Premiere, does it do the same thing? Brighter after export?

And especially, if that file is re-imported into Premiere, is it brighter?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2022 Sep 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes if I export directly from premiere it is also still brighter after export.

Yes, If I re-import the brighter file into premiere-it is still brighter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 11, 2022 Sep 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The puzzling bit is looking different on re-import. What's the color space of the original clips?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot (17).png

REC709

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 3 grading luts I applied to the clips. Could that have anything to do with it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shouldn't ... is that 'regular' Rec.709, or was it a log-encoded form?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regular 709

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2022 Sep 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should I try redownloading premiere and media encoder and see if that works?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 22, 2022 Sep 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share a clip with this problem so I and others could test it?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2022 Oct 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a clip i exported from adobe media encoder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok ... so it looks ok, what am I supposed to be seeing here?

It would have been more useful to share the original clip, actually.

And you say you're using three LUTs on it? Um ... that's an interesting way to work, what does each LUT do?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2022 Oct 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

-I tried to attached the origonal clip but it was too large to attach.

-So on the clip I attached, it's all bright and grainy and not how it supposed to look. It looks like how it's supposed to look while I'm editing in premiere.

-I used 3 different LUTS each on a different Lumetri Color that I drag and drop on the clip from Effects. I do it this way so I can easily backtrack on changes if I dont like the way it looks.

-On another note. I tried exporting a different clip from a different project/different project file and again, the blacks are crushed and the highlights are all blown out. This is not the way it was color corrected in premiere and I only used 1 LUT on the clip. I tried exporting the clip to be under 47mbs but it keeps exporting at 1.5 gigs....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 10, 2022 Oct 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your use of LUTs there has serious issues. It sounds like you are using LUTs for basic corrections you should be doing manually via the Lumetri panel ... and you can copy/paste that onto other clips and still have full ability to modify the results.

LUTs are routinely called by colorists "the dumbest math out there" for a good reason. They are simply look-up charts. Two columns, X in first column becomes Y in second column.

Using a LUT not carefully crafted for a specific situation and media will result in crushed blacks or clipped whites or saturation/contrast oddities. And applying mulitple LUTs without carefullly testing them in this order with that specific media is a recipe for disaster. The problems will just concatenate.

If you would discuss what you're trying to do, I can easily advise a much better workflow pattern.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines