• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Color export in PP 2023 is washed out

Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2022 Nov 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Not sure what's going on but I have had nothing but problems with this latest version.

Now when I export I lose the boldness to the image and color is lost. What the heck is going on here?? 

I have read endless amounts of threads about calibration, but I have never had this issue until this version. The footage and timeline are both rec 709.

Attaching a screenshot. 

Thank you!

Steven

TOPICS
Effects and Titles , Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you working on a Mac perchance? I ask because Apple for some uknowable reason (they've been asked but refused to comment) set their ColorSync CM utility to use gamma 1.96 for the display of Rec.709 video.

That is the camera tranform function, NOT the 2.4 presecribed in the Rec.709 specs used by everyone but Apple. Which is why the same file played on a Mac in QuickTime player, Safari, or Chrome will look lighter and less saturated than it did in Premiere.

And will look as it did in Premiere on all non-Mac TVs, systems, etc.

So that is one potential issue ... if you're on a Mac, and comparing the image within Pr to outside, say in QuickTime player.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. Yes I am on a Mac.

So the latest update in Apple OS did this? 

How do I change that?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's been that way since the Retina monitors came out. There's a setting in the Preferences of Premiere, "Display Color Management" ... that was built for this. It doesn't 'fix' the problem, it does make Premiere look at the ICC of the monitor, and adapt the image displayed to more correctly be a Rec.709 image on whatever monitor is in use.

So within Premiere, you see a more correct version of the image. Same pixels, just a different gamma used.

It's more or less notable on different Macs depending on the settings involved, and I don't actually understand all of that.

But the problem is pretty straight-forward. You cannot get an image to look the same when displayed at two different screen gamma settings. So you have the Mac 1.96 "look" with lightened shadows, less visible (apparent) saturation. The all-non-Mac look with darker shadows, full saturation.

If you make it look dark and saturated enough for the Mac, you are probably getting crushed blacks and over-saturation on non-Macs.

And it does this with everything. Including all the professionally viewed media you watch on that Mac. Have you looked at stuff from streaming/YouTube/Web, & thought it was washed out? Probably ... not.

Because you didn't see the "original" image first. We see in very, very 'relative' terms.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines