• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color Shift with M1 Macbook Pro (but not with an external monitor...?)

Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finding a bit of a strange issue here on my new M1 MacBook Pro.

I've noticed that I'm getting a color shift between what I see in Premiere Pro and what I see in Quicktime or the internet. However this ONLY happens on the Macbook monitor itself and does not happen on an external, calibrated monitor.

Here's a few images demonstrating what I mean:

First - Screenshots from the Macbook monitor:

Screen Shot 2022-06-07 at 12.31.58 PM.png

Premiere Pro on the left, Youtube on the right. Notice Premiere is much more saturated.

However if I take these EXACT SAME WINDOWS and move them over to an external monitor - the color shift is gone.

Screen Shot 2022-06-07 at 12.31.12 PM.png

Again, Premiere Pro on the left, YouTube on the right.

So what exactly is happening on the Macbook monitor that is causing this shift in saturation? It seems that maybe Premiere is doing something "under the hood" depending on which monitor is being used. You'll also notice YouTube specifically (on the right) seems to match on both monitors. It's only Premiere Pro on the Macbook that is experiencing a change in color.

Now I'm fully aware of color management, and how different softwares display colors differently, and viewing environment and all that other jazz. That's all find and good - but it doesn't explain why the two exact same windows would appear the exact same (colorwise) on one monitor, but not the exact same on a different monitor. Nothing is changing except the monitor. It would make sense to me if the colors changed - but still matched - yet they don't.

Is this a Premiere issue? A Macbook issue? or something else?

The obvious solution is to always color on the external monitor, but this isn't practical for my workflow.

Thanks for your time. Happy to provide more information if requested.

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might be trying to fix something that is not broken in Premiere Pro. All monitors are different. No camera ever made was designed to look good using a Macbook Pro and Quicktime. Which monitor is correct? Try connecting your camera a to a TV and see what it looks like. Does it look more like Quicktime or Premiere Pro? You may have to tweak out Premiere Pro. That being said Premiere Pro does have 100% accurate color as does Media Composer and Edius. The two video links below might be helpful. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey thanks for replying!

Maybe I can try to clarify what's going on a little bit better here... 

So I'm color grading log footage in Premiere Pro, exporting it, and uploading it to YouTube. Simple right?

Here's the specific problem I'm having -

The uploaded file - on YouTube - looks different from what I'm seeing in Premiere Pro on my Macbook. On YouTube however, it looks the same whether I watch it on my mobile device, on my television, on my PC computer, or on my Macbook. On YouTube it looks more or less the same no matter what display I use.

Additionally - if I move my Premiere Pro window to any other display via HDMI connected to my Macbook - it also matches what I see on YouTube. The color shift is only happening within Premiere Pro specifically on the Macbook display.

Obviously the desired outcome is that what I see in Premiere Pro on the Mac display is the same as what I see on YouTube (or quicktime, which matches YouTube)

I'm not really worried about what is "correct" technically speaking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quicktime is not an industry standard like NTSC, ATSC, REC 601, REC 709 or REC 2020. You would agree that what you see on your Macbook Pro when using Quicktime may not be 100% color accurate? That being said you can  probably make Premiere Pro match the Quicktime image but it might not be wise if you start doing projects for broadcast. What does your video look like when setup for broadcast standards is what you need to ask yourself. As far as matching both monitors you would need to change settings in the OS, Premiere Pro and GPU control panel. Quicktime, OBS and YouTube will all display the video a tad bit different. Sometimes you will get a slight gamma shift but the second video I posted will solve that issue. You claim one monitor is correct and the other is not? Which one is correct? Do either of them look identical to what the video looks like if you connected your camera to a TV?  You need to connect your camera to a TV in standard mode and see what it looks like. Cameras have an HDMI for that purpose. Your computer has a graphics card, OS and software that needs to be tweaked. Your TV does not.  Media Composer, Resolve and Premiere Pro might all look at tad bit different on a computer screen but with 3rd party hardware they all match what the camera looks like when connected to a TV because your camera and 3rd party hardware complies with industry standards. Your Macboo Pro and Quicktime do not.  You want Premiere Pro to come as close to matching what the video looks like on a TV when played back from your camera. If after exporting things look a tad bit different in OBS, Quicktime or YouTube you can compensate for that as seen in my second video. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cody,

It is great you searched for some links but had you bothered to watch my video I stated Adobe had a LUT that you can apply at export. I prefer to use an adjustment layer but both methods will work. REC 601, 709 and REC 2020 are industry standards and all NLE comply with those standards. OBS, YouTube, Facebook etc may or may not. My video also showed all the settings that need to be setup correctly in Premiere Pro. You posted a link to a video that gives the settings for the Nvidia graphics cards. I could have done a screen shot for those settings but you don't have an Nvidia graphics card. I stated you have to have everything setup 100% correct in your OS, Premiere Pro and GPU control panel. Keep in mind all NLE must be setup 100% correct. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TBH I was posting the link to the article/write-up, not the video. I didn't even watch the video. Also, to be fair you keep mentioning these industry standards, and brodcast and all that when all I ever asked for was how to get Premiere to match YouTube - which is exactly what the solution above does. As I mentioned in a previous reply I don't care about what is "technically correct" as 99% of my income and the videos I produce are being displayed on the web.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess more specifically my question was about how to get Premiere to match Quicktime (which matches YouTube) on the Macbook Pro display. The solution above does just that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Cody,

I know you did not post your links as a response to my video. I  also know you did not watch my video because the links you posted have a lot of the same information as my videos. You would not have searched for the links had you watched my video. How do I know that? 

You posted the solution below  
Turn Display Color Management ON Use this LUT on export 

My video literally demonstrate how to enable color management in the first minute. Towards the end (6:30) I demonstrate you can add a LUT at export. 

The point I have been trying to make all along is don't use an iMac and Quicktime as the benchmark for accurate color. If Premiere Pro matches what the video looks like straight of the camera to a TV then it is working correct. I admit your video might look different on YouTube because YouTube is designed to be played back on computer monitor not a TV set.  Does that make sense? As I stated you can make Premiere Pro match Quicktime 100%. My video demonstrated several settings you can alter in Premiere Pro. I am not familiar with the color spaces and GPU setting available for your Macbook Pro so I could not give any info about those settings.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines