• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color Variations on Exported stills between Premiere - Photoshop - After FX

Explorer ,
May 06, 2018 May 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this really annoying issue pretty much forever.

I'm working as normal in premiere - then i need to export TIF a still image (or sequence) and open it in photoshop to edit it.  All good - I open in photoshop, then save back as TIF and import back into premiere - but as soon as the edited frame is back in premiere - it's color/brightness is just slightly off from the original frame. 

I figured it's due to some color space issue - but I tried saving/exporting with all kinds of different settings, in RGB, in CMYK even, with AdobeRGB & with sRGB - it makes no difference.  The re-imported TIFF is always ever so slightly different.  I tried going PNG instead of TIFF - same thing.

Then finally i found a workaround - importing the photoshop file directly into premiere.  That's a bit more messy (when many layers) and files are heavier/larger - but at least it worked.  But now another issue!

I take that photoshop clip (still image exported from my premiere timeline, imported into photoshop - then imported back into premiere as PSD) which is now in my Premiere timeline - and I go to "replace with After Effects Composition' to create a more advanced motion effect in AE - and as soon as that's done and i'm back in Premiere - the color of that very clip is now screwed up just slightly yet again!

This is driving me nuts.  Please tell me that there's some small stupid setting to keep those colors consistent that i just simply don't know about??

Thanks much.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
May 06, 2018 May 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what color profile are you working in? premiere is sRGB same as rec. 709 0-255 D65. set photoshop assign profile to that or convert to profile. also, dynamic link is that too, so any adobe RGB or other non-premiere supported colors get converted as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 07, 2018 Jun 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey - thanks for reply and sorry to answer so late.  I worked around that issue last month and frankly didn't see your answer here till now, sorry!

But as for the color space - i do with in sRGB.  I didn't change anything in Premiere.  It's when saving the file in Photoshop that the color seems to get screwed up somehow.  The photoshop 'save' dialogue does offer an option to save in sRGB or too disable color management on the saved file - but i tried both options and no matter what i do - the color is off in exactly the same way. 

I'm only working between Premiere - Photoshop - After Effects - nothing else. 

if there's something i'm still missing, i'd appreciate any clarification you can offer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 07, 2018 Jun 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you probably have a p3 monitor not srgb. use a p3torec709 lut because premiere won't  display anything besides srgb. and it ignores display color management on your monitor too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem, did you solved? Thank you 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2021 Oct 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same issue but this seems to work. When you bring your exported still into Photoshop make your edit then File/Export/Export As.. then in the export window by defualt undr Color "Convert to sRGB" is checked un check it. Note if your still is PNG then your export needs to be PNG. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i was working on a stop motion animation project. This issue happend. All my pictures which needed editing now have a slightly off brighter tone than the ones which are unedited. i am screwed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying this solution didn't work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2023 Oct 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it worked, awesome, thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2023 May 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I found the easiest workaround for me.  Assuming you went through the process of finding your color profile and configuring it to match with sRGB, which if you haven't done then this will be pointless.  But the easiest thing to do is to just screen capture and then paste into paint, then crop and export.  The dimensions and everything should be the same. it's not the most ideal solution but it works for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2023 Aug 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a workaround. My problem - Working with a video in premiere I needed to change some text so I screenshot the clip I need to change text and import into photoshop. I noticed the screenshot's color in photoshop was darker than the premiere. After re-saving a screenshot as TIFF instead of jpeg fixed my issue. The photo color stayed the same when importing back into premeire.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2024 Mar 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Years later and I've also had this problem without a proper resolution.  The workaround I use is apply a ProcAmp effect to the still image after importing it back into Premiere, set the Brightness to "3" and Contrast to "97" (default values being 0 and 100 respectively).  This slight adjustment seems to counteract the ever-so-slight color differences.  Not the best solution by any means, and it might not work in all situations, but it's a potential quick and dirty fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines