• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Colour displays wrong after update - any workaround WITHOUT re-interpreting the footage?

New Here ,
Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! After (stupidly) uninstalling the 2021 version of Premiere Pro and then realising that it was now too old to be re-installed, I find myself with an old project in which the colour space is completely messed up. All the footage looks wrong. I've seen some workarounds online that suggest re-interpreting the footage to display in Rec709. Now, I'd be really really keen to avoid that - I don't want to spend who knows how much time re-interpreting 4 years worth of footage for a total of 5 or 6 terabyte - clip by clip. Would you know any way to fix this? Thanks!

TOPICS
Error or problem , How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the footage? Is it HDR or rec 709

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I should have provided all the details. It's Sony footage shot in logarithmic (Slog2 specifically).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I am working on a PC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For crying out loud, do NOT do that to individual clips! Do it to entire bins at once. Select the whole bin, right-click/Modify/Interpret footage ...

Yea, it's a right royal pain that the color is so different, but ... they had to change to move Premiere from a Rec.709 only underlying color system to a modern color space-agnostic existence.

Screwed up a lot of pre-change projects though. This sort of change is why I always keep all older versions.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh brilliant, thanks - I hadn't actually thought of that and that is a real timesaver. It will still take me a while but less than I thought. Unless there's another solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is the 'best possible' workflow at the moment. Which is a LOT less than doing it one by one, but still has another issue.

After doing that conversion, you still may need to redo your color work. Sorry, but ... that's Life during this process of migrating Premiere from being a total Rec.709-limited app to something that can handle modern wide gamut work also.

And yea, it's a right royal pain as this process has been going over a year now, and probably has another year to get to a more 'finished' state. I think the worst is behind us though.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would only be a temporary solution until you really need or want to update, but you might be able to get the 2021 version from Adobe Customer Service.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines