• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issues with Premiere 23.5 on M2 Ultra Studio

Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2023 Jul 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using premiere for over 15 years now. I have never experinanced such a buggy version. Ever since I got the MAC STUDIO M2 Ultra, Premiere has been nothing short of a nightmare. From issues of editing with two monitors, two video not being played on the timeline. Massive lagging. Not able to render anything. Someone FIX this version. Come out with an update already. 

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Editing and playback , Performance or Stability

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 02, 2024 Apr 02, 2024

Just in case anyone has the same issue I was having, found out the root cause was the Sony Catalyst Prepare plugin which was the cause of all my woes. After removing the plugin, Premiere is behaving normally. Shout out to Kyle P. for helping me isolate the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 4 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Aug 14, 2023 Aug 14, 2023

I have a quick update for anyone experiencing poor playback performance on M2 Mac Studio Multi-display setups.

We've identified an issue where disabling the MacOS system setting "Displays have separate Spaces" under "Desktop & Dock" degrades playback performance. By default this setting is enabled.

We're still working on an official resolution but in the meantime you can try re-enabling that setting as a workaround (requires system reboot to take effect) 

KylePlumadore_0-1692053164067.png

Let me know if you had that setti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Dec 01, 2023 Dec 01, 2023
Hi all - another update:

Apple has identified the source of the bug. I anticipate that it will be fixed in a future MacOS update.  My understanding is that it's a complex bug to fix, so it may take additional time to get fixed in the OS.

To facilitate a quicker improvement for users, Apple has also provided us with an application side code change which will workaround the bug. This change is available for testing now in the latest Premiere Pro Beta (24.2.0.34) dated 2023-12-01.  I've verified

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Feb 15, 2024 Feb 15, 2024

I'm happy to share that Premiere Pro 24.2.1 contains the fix for the M2 Studio multi-display playback performance bug I previously described here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/issues-with-premiere-23-5-on-m2-ultra-studio/idc-p/14007966#M13412

This means that playback performance with the system setting “Displays have separate Spaces" disabled should now be on par with that setting enabled in Premiere Pro 24.2.1 and later.

Please note that if you are experiencing an issu

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 11, 2024 Mar 11, 2024

Hello @Igal Hecht,

A product team member listed your bug as fixed, so I marked it as such. I appreciate your patience while they were fixing the problem.

Thanks,
Kevin

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 145 Replies 145
145 Comments
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2023 Apr 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is premiere pro compatible with new Mac M2 chip yet? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Genevieve,

Premiere Pro is compatible with M2 Macs. Are you having any issues running Premiere Pro on your system? Let us know. We're here to help.

Thanks,

Ishan

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Ishan. No I'm about to buy a new laptop and had heard that they weren't compatible yet. Was thinking to get a referbished M1 Max if it would run better on that. 
gen 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hola, actualmente trabajo con una mac mini con m2 sin ningún problema, coméntanos si has tenido algún inconveniente o solo es consulta porque quieres migrar a un procesador de ese tipo.

Saludos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To the best of my knowledge, there are no known issues with Apple M2 devices. Could you let us know where did you find the information about Premiere Pro being incompatible with M2 Macs? You shouldn't have any issues if you choose to get an M2 Mac. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 11, 2023 Apr 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't remember which forum I saw it on, sorry.
Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2023 May 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hola! Acabo de comprarme una macbookpro M2 y siento al premiere un poco inestable. Con archivos Appleprores422 proxy a veces se traba el play y no reproduce bien. Es muy raro, con otra portatil mac de 2018 va mas estable. No se si es incopatibilidad con el SO de mac. Estoy en el Ventura 13.3.1

Cualquier info me seria de ayuda, Gracias!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2023 Jun 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ishan! 

I have massive problems editing with my Macbook Pro M2.  In this project right now, playback is stuttering so heavy it´s impossible to work with. I´m  already working with prores proxies and sometimes the stuttering is shortly gone but most of the time... no chance. I´m working with a very fast external ssd, copying the whole project on the internal drive didn´t change anything. I also tried different proxy settings but it seems that performance isn´t the problem. My efficiency cores are at 25% and performance cores are close to not used at all. 

I tried the latest Premiere 22 and the latest Premiere 23. Original material is mp4, mxf and GOPRO mp4. Non of which are playing smooth in the timeline. Funny thing: In the source monitor the play smooth, even without proxy.

Have you heard of anything like that?

Best regards

Felix

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Jun 10, 2023 Jun 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ishan Y 

@Kevin-Monahan 

@Francis-Crossman 

Hello Genevieve etc.,

Adobe does not maintain their compatibility documentation and it is currently out date. (here).

This page was last updated May 24, 2023 but remains out of date. (Localized versions of this page are older and even more out of date).

The downloadable PDF linked on that page (from 2021) mentions only “For Apple M1 Macs we recommend at least 16GB of shared memory.” without mention of M2 machines.

Under “Choosing your platform” it says “an Apple M1 (or higher) processor” (presumably this would include M2 processors so maybe they're saying you're good), but under “Laptop or Desktop” it makes no mention of the Mac Studio machines (because these aren’t compatible? not recommended? who knows).

Under System requirements it lists no compatibility with Apple M1 or M2 chips, only “Intel® 6thGen or newer CPU”

Under “Hardware-accelerated HEVC endcoding and decoding”:
On macOS, hardware-accelerated HEVC 10-bit 4:2:2 is supported on Apple M1 systems only.

This is either factually false or just out of date.

Under “Supported GPUs” (subcategory “integrated graphics”)
Apple M1 
Apple M1 Pro
Apple M1 Max  

This directly does not include M2 machines.

I wrote to draw attention to this problem on February 4 - there’s been no response from Adobe and the documentation remains outdated.

R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2023 Jun 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hola ya acabo de adquirir una Mac Mini M2 Pro y no funciona, no abre y la version Beta si abre pero se cierra al tratar de importar videos, a mi no me funciona, en estos momentos estoy tomando cursos de Davinci Resolve para migrar ya que este corre perfecto y sin ningun problema, es una lastima despues de 12 años de trabajar con Premiere, siempre ha sido un poco inestable pero ahora ni siquiera abre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2023 Jun 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here!
exactly.
😞

s

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have news.

I had to edit something on the backseat of my car and everything went super smooth without stutter.

So I figured my playback problems result from my external monitor (Eizo CS2740) being connected via thunderbolt Hub (Icy Box HUB801-TB4). 

To check, I connected it again but only worked on the Macbook screen and left the Eizo empty. Playback a little stuttery but way better! Then I plugged the screen directly to the Mac without Hub. Playback flawless.

There are still things that irritate me with the bad setup: Why did it work sometimes?! Why could I scroll super fluidly through the material, but as soon as I hit play, it stuttered awefully? 

@seb antico  Is your setup similar? Do you have the same Hub or another?

best, felix

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an edit:

Unfortunately, the stuttering came back and was just randomly fine for a while.

Even directly connected to the laptop, with hdmi OR with thunderbolt, the stutter was very heavy. Everything I tested ended ultimately in the same result: Premiere does not support an external 4k monitor on a M2 Macbook Pro. Yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @Felix Schneidewind,

Thanks for the report. It appears that it's your hub causing the performance bottleneck. Not all hubs perform optimally. You can also check the particular port your computer is plugged into. This KB doc from Apple may provide some details about which port to use for optimal performance: https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/about-the-thunderbolt-ports-mh35952/mac

I hope that helps.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin!

Thanks for your response. As I wrote, the stutter appears without hub, even connected via HDMI. So there is not a bandwidth problem or something alike. 
But I'll have a look at your link anyway, thanks!

best, Felix

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 14, 2023 Jun 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Remote Index

Adobe does not maintain their compatibility documentation and it is currently out date. (here).

R.

By @Remote Index

I filed a bug on the documentation. Thanks for flagging.

Cheers,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2023 Jun 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Y que sistema operativo usas con dicha M2, porque yo tengo igual y me va de maravilla.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2023 Jun 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The incomplete info on the minimum specs for Macs with m2 silicon is very frustrating. Adobe should do a better job.  Feels like Adobe and Apple take their customers for granted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 26, 2023 Jun 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI @Chris T.N.,

Sorry that you are having trouble with your Mac. It is supported, according to the system requirements. It says, "Apple silicon M1 or newer." Therefore the M2 should be fine. If you are having specific issues, please start a new thread. Hope to help you there. Sorry for any frustration and hope we can help you.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kevin-Monahan 

It is supported, according to the system requirements.

Kevin,

Strictly speaking, that is not true. As I pointed out above, if you check GPU support (Does Adobe support the GPUs on my new M2 machine?) under “Supported GPUs” (subcategory “integrated graphics”) you get this:
Apple M1 
Apple M1 Pro
Apple M1 Max  

This directly does not include M2 machines. It doesn't even include the M1 Ultra.

Also this:

On macOS, hardware-accelerated HEVC 10-bit 4:2:2 is supported on Apple M1 systems only.

Would you want to buy a machine for Premiere Pro if the GPU was not supported by Adobe?

R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Remote Index,

As I mentioned, I already filed a documentation bug on June 14th. Thanks for your patience on this.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @stephaniev4823882 
Yes, we need more info from you so we can try and solve your specific issue. Thanks for your assistance @Harold SIlva B. 

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2023 Jun 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hola!

Yo tengo una Macbook pro, M2 ( 2023 ) 32GRAM. 2Teras de disco.

El premiere pro va mal con archivos Apple prores422proxi 1080. No lo entiendo. No va fluido.

Estoy conectado con dos monitores: uno de 2K y otro deHD.

GRacias!
s

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @seb antico,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Can you test with no monitors attached? What happens?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem.... 😞

The strange thing is that it looks choppy on the computer and on the external monitor it looks fine. Anyway, when I disconnect everything, the play is still inconsistent...

Votes

Translate

Translate