Computer of my dreams, yet terrible playback...

Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just picked up a new Dell pc, specs as follows:
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5900X (12-core processor)
  • RTX 3080 (10GB)
  • 64GB RAM
Just set the computer up, updated all drivers (including studio version for the GPU). Fired up Premiere and... it is barely able to play back my 4K graded footage (even at 1/4 playback resolution). If there is text overlaying the video, it straight up refuses to play.
CPU jumps to 100% as soon as I hit play. GPU sits between 0-5% usage and shows 0% video decoding.

Things I've tried so far:
  • Reinstalled latest studio driver for GPU
  • Ensured that 'hardware accelerated decoding' is enabled
  • Clean/hard start of Premiere

What else can I do? Premiere uses 100% CPU and 0% GPU then what is the point. I upgraded to no longer need to use a proxy workflow...
TOPICS
Error or problem , Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022
Sorry to hear that, Will-Guy. Can you be more specific about your 4K footage? Only certain computers can playback the higher end HEVC 4:2:2 10-bit footage, could that be the footage you are using? More to come on that, but first, I must ask you for additional info, if you do not mind. OK? What are the source settings from your camera on that footage? You can download MediaInfo, a freeware app if you are not sure. Please show us a screenshot of the clip properties in Tree View if you do not mind....

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear that, Will-Guy. Can you be more specific about your 4K footage? Only certain computers can playback the higher end HEVC 4:2:2 10-bit footage, could that be the footage you are using? More to come on that, but first, I must ask you for additional info, if you do not mind. OK?

What are the source settings from your camera on that footage? You can download MediaInfo, a freeware app if you are not sure. Please show us a screenshot of the clip properties in Tree View if you do not mind. That would help us immensely and take a bit of the guesswork out of the equation. 🙂 

If I were to guess, though, I'd say that you are dealing with a certain flavor of H.264 or HEVC footage that is 10-bit 4:2:2, (the default format coming from Sony cameras which are immensely popular these days).

According to a white paper I read, only the 11th and 12th generation Intel CPUs can playback files matching that spec. I surmise you see no GPU activity because there is no GPU decoding available for that format just yet, no matter the GPU, or the NLE that you are using.

I think that is why you are likely not seeing any activity while using GPU monitoring tools. You are not receiving the benefit the Intel CPUs (Quick Sync, etc.) are providing compared to an AMD CPU either (unfortunately). Again, since I don't know your format, this is all just a hunch. For your system, using editing codecs and literally avoiding any H.264/HEVC formats which do not use GPU decoding is the better workflow.

My brother just got a Sony A7IV and the matching 400mm zoom lens (he does wildlife photos). I am so jealous! I asked him about the default settings for video and it is this hardcore HEVC 10-bit stuff. It's great for archival and for uploading stock footage, but it's murder to edit with for the time being. I recommend creating proxies or transcoding the footage to an editing codec for best results - and so that you don't lose your mind editing with your new computer system. Sounds great, by the way. If you are dead set on not wanting to generate proxies or transcode, I hear you. In that case, I would recommend shooting in a codec that is supported for GPU decoding. Then, your life will be a lot easier, I think.

Looking forward to getting more info from you so we can help.

Thanks,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Kevin,

You're bang on. The footage is .MP4 HEVC 10bit 4:2:2 REC.709 (shot on Sony A73).

I'm just surprised as the footage is coming from someone who has a lesser spec of my same computer (Ryzen 7 with 3070 GPU), and we've editing on his computer without issues like I am having.

Thanks for tyhe help!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines