Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Computer reboots during export from Premiere Pro 2022

New Here ,
Feb 01, 2022 Feb 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've been having quite a lot of problems with Adobe Premiere Pro ever since I updraged to Creative Cloud (Premiere randomly crashing with or without error messages, export window not starting, randomly crashing while exporting video, exported video disappearing from the hard drive etc.), but I've always managed to get my projects done eventually.

This time, no matter what I tried, Premiere wouldn't export my project successfully. I managed to find a solution eventually, by encoding the project with Adobe Media Encoder 2022, but I decided to post about it anyways in case it's a bug in Premiere or something.

The project I was working on is about an hour long, 1920 x 1080, 25 fps, several video tracks etc. Nothing too special, I've successfully worked on larger projects before. Premiere had some random crashes when I was working on it, none of which allowed me to send an error report afterwards. When it came time to export the video from Premiere, one of the following things always happened:

- Most of the time my computer suddenly rebooted at random points of the encoding process. Sometimes at around 30 %, sometimes at around 80 %.
- A couple of times the encoding process stopped because of error encoding a Lumetri effect. Totally different points on the timeline.
- Once Premiere crashed with the possibility to send an error report (which I did).

I tried at least following things:

- Ran Windows Memory Diagnostic, everything seemed to be fine.
- Monitored the temperature of my computer's hardware, nothing was nowhere near overheating at the time of my computer suddenly rebooting.
- Tried turning off Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (CUDA) from project settings. However, this made the encoding so slow that I cancelled the encoding after a while because it hadn't gotten past 0 %.
- Copied everything in my sequence to new project, no luck with that.
- Rendered previews for the whole project and turned on "Use previews" in the export settings. No luck with that either.

- Checked that I have all the latest drivers and updates installed for Windows, graphics card, Creative Cloud etc.

Here's the specs for my computer:

Gigabyte Technology AB350-Gaming-CF motherboard

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor 3.20 GHz

32,0 GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

Windows 10 Pro

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Export , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quoteRan Windows Memory Diagnostic, everything seemed to be fine.

Still it all sounds like your system have hardware stability issue. Render/export loads the system way more than simple  windows memory test. Points of failure in order of probability  : RAM, GPU, weak/degraded Power supply, SSD/HDD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry for the issues.

- Rendered previews for the whole project and turned on "Use previews" in the export settings.

This should work without fail and is the best workaround for a GPU that is not performing well for export. Did you change your codec for rendering previews to a smart rendering codec, like ProRes? If not, and you used something like H.264, this technique will not work. You may want to retry this set of steps with a ProRes codec. 

As far as your computer shutting down during export, that's worrisome. Usually, it's due to your case overheating. Get some heat monitoring tools and see if you can remedy this issue with a better case or better solution for cooling, like moving the computer to a well ventilated room, using larger fans, etc.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2023 May 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having similar issues, and I don't think it's an overheating problem.  I have a 2021 16" Mac Book Pro with with M1 Max processor and 64GB RAM.  Running OS 13.1 and Premiere Pro 2023.

I ran into this a few weeks agao with some video that I was trying to export, and then again this morning.  The sequence from this morning was just some zooming images with an audio track. Tried exporting in ProRes422 and H.264 without any success...both within Premiere and Media Encoder.  It would run through the audio files, and then start chunking away at the slides...and then maybe 10 seconds into the slides the computer reboots.

I have my laptop on a fan stand, and I didn't have this issue before.  Might be related to updating to OS 13.

Currently, I have to bring my projects over to an older Intel MacBook Pro to render out the sequences.

Would any of the 13.2+ OS updates resolve this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issues. Seems like when I switched the "Encoding settings" to Software encoding vs. Hardware encoding, it seems to have solved the problem. I'd be curious if that works for you, and if anyone has insight why this gets things to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 01, 2023 May 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Jake,

Sorry about that. My only guess is that you may have overloaded the graphics capabilities of the Mac. That can happen by adding too many GPU-accelerated effects (Warp Stabilizer, Lumetri, etc.) to your footage, especially on sequences with longer durations.

Hardware encoding also taps the graphics processing of newer Macs pretty hard. This is is due to its hardware decoding of H.264 video on export. Plus, there is no discrete AMD GPU assisting that as there is with most Intel-based Macs. Keep in mind that any that H.264 footage that carries a variable frame rate makes the issue worse. Add on to that problem, by overloading the Mercury Playback Engine with doing things like scaling from 4K to HD, frame rate conversion, color s.... Doing such things is probably exacerbating the issue on export.

The newer silicon Macs do have their limits with GPU processing. I suggest that you can't hammer them too hard. I advise using the tried and tested techniques of transcoding media before editing with it (in other words, take H.264 media out of the workflow altogether). Using editing codecs instead of H.264 media will tap that graphics processing function much less as decoding it on export is out of the equation.

Optmizing media up front can pay off on the back end in almost every case, especially sequences using a lot of GPU processes for effects. I tend to stay away from H.264 source footage and transcode to an editing codec on ingest (transcode while importing) and rarely experience such issues with my M1 MacBook Pro. I tend to go with ProRes LT. Try it and report back. If it is still failing, we can try other things to smooth out your workflow. Hope the advice helps.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines