• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Conform XAVC S 100fps to 25fps prior to editing

Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I'm trying to do a simple task. I want to change/conform the framerate of my Sony FX3 footage / 100fps to 25 fps prior to editing. But I want to do it without re encoding. There used to be a tool for Mac called Cinema Tools that did exactly this thing but it's discontinued since 6 years. Is there a way to re conform your raw material without bringing it into an editing tool? I'm thinking that there should be a tool or a way to edit the metadata of a clip so it's interpreted as 25 fps footage instead of 100fps and plays back 4 times slower.... Prior to importing it into Premiere, so that basically the files themselves are reconformed.

If you ask me why? I'm just curious and want to establish a new/fast workflow to create editable files. There is no way by now to convert UHD 100fps xavc s files to prores UHD prores in 100fps or any other codec. 

Thanks for your help. 

TOPICS
Editing , Formats , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm thinking that there should be a tool or a way to edit the metadata of a clip so it's interpreted as 25 fps footage instead of 100fps and plays back 4 times slower.... Prior to importing it into Premiere, so that basically the files themselves are reconformed.

By @Markus Scheibenbauer

You can import the clip as-is into Premiere Pro and then right click on it and choose Modify > Interpret Footage and change the fps to 25. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I knew that... and that would also be my usual workflow. But there arises a problem when you try to create proxies out of files that where re interpreted in Premiere, in my case from 100fps to 25fps. If you try to make a proxy from a 100fps clip that was interpreted as 25fps, Premiere won't create a Proxy with a 25fps rate but with the original framerate. and since it's not even able to create prores proxies in say 100 or 120fps it just uses the highes possible framerate (i.e. 60fps). so the whole proxy playback becomes messed up. it's hard to explain. you should try it out to see what I mean. 
That's why I asked for a tool to reinterpret the footage prior to importing it. or at least the possibility to create proxies that are based on premieres framerate interpretation of the clip and not the native framerate of the file. I hope you get what I mean. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...and since it's not even able to create prores proxies in say 100 or 120fps it just uses the highes possible framerate (i.e. 60fps). so the whole proxy playback becomes messed up. it's hard to explain.

By @Markus Scheibenbauer

I understand the issue here fully. 🙂

I am not aware of any tool such as Cinema Tools but knew that it was great. A workaround that may work depending on how much 100 fps video you have is to import it into Premiere Pro, use Interpret Footage and set it to 25 fps, place it on a 25 fps timeline, render out to an intermediate codec such as Apple ProRes or GoPro CineForm and then import that footage into Premiere Pro and use it as the source footage.

Interpret Footage is available in Adobe Media Encoder as well, so going through Premiere Pro should not be necessary.

Now since the source footage is 25 fps creating proxies should not mess with the frame rates. It will however take more time and consume more disc space but it will solve the issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok thank you. Didnt know, that interpret footage would be available in ame too... that kinda solves the problem.

The meta problem is the codec itself. xavc s or even worse xavc hs are crippling down any machine and force you to transcode or use proxies, especially with bigger projects... i much prefer xavc i or prores...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines