• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Control what metadata goes into EDL?

Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working with a film lab on a project shot on 16mm film. I've provided them with a EDLs before for them to scan selected footage, however they are now asking that I include the "lab roll" in the edl. 

As far as I can tell however there is no way to specifically adjust what metadata goes into the edl export?

Looking at the available fields in the edl export window I can't find anything useful. Am I missing something?

Thanks

TOPICS
Error or problem , Export , Formats , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Hi, knbstewart,

I don't think that Lab Roll is an available field for EDL export. You may have to find another way to get that data to the lab. There might be a way if you have Lab Roll metadata in the project. I know that Intelligent Assistance offers a way to get Lab Roll info out of a sequence. I think it still works, but you may need to contact them. Check it out: https://www.intelligentassistance.com/sequence-clip-reporter-cc.html

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

UPDATE:

As Kevin mentioned in a reply the answer to my main question is "No" you can't control what metadata goes into the EDL other than the options in the normal export UI window. 

For my more specific question of "is there a way to include the lab roll info in the EDL?" It sounds like the answer is that you can populate that information into the "Tape Name" field in the metadata display options, and that will populate into the EDL. 

HOWEVER, I've run into a new bug. The Tape Name field is not

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's an interesting request ... I'm puzzled too ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, knbstewart,

I don't think that Lab Roll is an available field for EDL export. You may have to find another way to get that data to the lab. There might be a way if you have Lab Roll metadata in the project. I know that Intelligent Assistance offers a way to get Lab Roll info out of a sequence. I think it still works, but you may need to contact them. Check it out: https://www.intelligentassistance.com/sequence-clip-reporter-cc.html

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply Kevin!

Hmm, I'd love to avoid buying a 100$ add on software in order to somewhat control the metadata in the EDL. Thanks for the suggestion though. If all else fails, I will take a closer look. 

Just to confirm the obvious - there are no other control options of what is included in an EDL export other than what shows up in the dialogue window I screengrabbed in my first post, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE:

As Kevin mentioned in a reply the answer to my main question is "No" you can't control what metadata goes into the EDL other than the options in the normal export UI window. 

For my more specific question of "is there a way to include the lab roll info in the EDL?" It sounds like the answer is that you can populate that information into the "Tape Name" field in the metadata display options, and that will populate into the EDL. 

HOWEVER, I've run into a new bug. The Tape Name field is not automatically populated for the footage I have so I have to manually populate that field for every clip I'm using. That is... annoying, but at least doable. But I'm running into a bug where even if I populate the Tape Name field some clips (seemingly at random) do not carry that info over into the EDL. 

Anyone have any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2022 Mar 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In all honesty ... I don't believe the majority of modern NLEs still have a focus on continuing to support yesterday's technology. I can totally imagine people wanting to shoot on 16 or 35mm film for aesthetic reasons, but like the number of companies able to process film is declining, so too will inevitably die out support in NLEs. So this may mean that - increasingly - you will need to rely on third party technology to continue working this way.

Recently, I had to purchase an app to be able to open up a Cool Edit Pro project from 15 years ago (from way before it was called Audition).

Caveat emptor, or buyer beware. Or: know (and accept) what you're getting into.

Just my two cents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 26, 2022 Mar 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This highights a frustrating part of working in video post. There options, the techniques, for moving a project from one app to another are simply buggy and incomplete.

Whether it's XML, EDL, or AAF, there's only a few things what work properly of the many things you typically do to a project. As someone who works daily with an Ae wizard and a bunch of colorists ... that's a huge pain point.

All the devs for the various apps say the same thing ... they don't want to spend a lot of time futzing around their app trying to 'fix' an ancient process.

But no one is willing to make a newer, better process either.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

knbstewart,

Did you ever find a solution to this? Experiencing a similar problem on a current project. 

I am working with merged clips, and I can't make the tape name appear in the Tape Name (AX) column of the EDL, unless it was there before the clips were merged. Even if I populate it in the clip's Tape Name metadata it won't appear. I tried adding the tape name to clips both in the bin and from the timeline, and neither make the tape name appear in the EDL. 

I should note this is only being experienced from the video, not the audio, although the audio all had tape names. 

Any ideas?

Any ideas? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey Matthew, sadly no I did not. 
Closest I got to was manually populating the "Tape Name" field as you say you're doing, however even when I did populate that field, random clips would still come up with that field empty in an EDL export. I could find no correlation between merged / non-merged clips, the clips where the 'Tape Name' came up blank in my EDL was seemingly random. Most merged clips with audio worked, but some randomly were blank. I couldn't discern any sort of pattern as to why it was not working with some clips. 

Eventually the lab I was working with was able to pull the info from my EDL using timecode only, but it did involve them doing a bit of manual work on their end determining which 'roll' each clip came from. 

Sorry to not be of more help. Still hoping for an answer on this myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines