Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Convert FULL HD video to 4k

Feb 10, 2020 Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I want to ask a simple question. How can I convert FULL HD video (1920x1080) to 4K Ultra HD? What program and what plug-in should I use for this?

TOPICS
How to , Import , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

LEGEND , Feb 10, 2020 Feb 10, 2020

The most basic way could be to simply choose an HD clip as a Source in Media Encoder, and Export as 4K. The same could be done in Premiere, exporting HD sequence as 4K.

However, converting HD to 4K doesn't make it look any better - you can't add resolution (detail) that did not exist to start with. Meaning, you might send the HD source to a 4K display, and then send the 4K converted video to same 4K display for comparison, and the "4K" source isn't going to look any sharper, so nothing gained.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 10, 2020 Feb 10, 2020

If you can put the footage into After Effects, then you can add the "Detail-preserving Upscale" effect to it, and that could produce a somewhat better upscale. Though, as Jeff said upscaling typically reduces the clarity.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 10, 2020 Feb 10, 2020

it's a simple question, but not a simple answer.  There are hardware solution for uprezzing which will help the quality, like alchemist and terranex (I think).  They don't come cheap (but they're much cheaper than they used to be).  A video facility may be able to help with this.    If you're in New York City, I can suggest a few places.  And if I remember correctly if you set scaling to bicubic in AfterEffects you'll eke out a little better quality or so they say.  

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The most basic way could be to simply choose an HD clip as a Source in Media Encoder, and Export as 4K. The same could be done in Premiere, exporting HD sequence as 4K.

However, converting HD to 4K doesn't make it look any better - you can't add resolution (detail) that did not exist to start with. Meaning, you might send the HD source to a 4K display, and then send the 4K converted video to same 4K display for comparison, and the "4K" source isn't going to look any sharper, so nothing gained.

Perhaps if you share the intended purpose/workflow behind your question, we can provide different solutions.

A similar question I see a lot is "convert SD to HD". Same result - one can play a nice quality DVD in a set-top DVD player (with HD-upscaling via HDMI cable) to an HD display and get a great-looking image. The results would likely not be any better if the DVD was upconverted to Blu-ray. The source is the source.

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can put the footage into After Effects, then you can add the "Detail-preserving Upscale" effect to it, and that could produce a somewhat better upscale. Though, as Jeff said upscaling typically reduces the clarity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's a simple question, but not a simple answer.  There are hardware solution for uprezzing which will help the quality, like alchemist and terranex (I think).  They don't come cheap (but they're much cheaper than they used to be).  A video facility may be able to help with this.    If you're in New York City, I can suggest a few places.  And if I remember correctly if you set scaling to bicubic in AfterEffects you'll eke out a little better quality or so they say.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For years I waited for super-resolution software to bring low resolution film and video to HD and 4k.  I was most optimistic about the technology that added detail to the central frame interpreted from a few frames ahead and behind.  However, there is a new technology I have been experimenting with in 2022 developed by Topaz Labs.  It uses artificial intelligence "guessing" derived from a huge and growing online reference library to add detail that was not in the frame.  At low settings, it sharpens lines and curves much like AE Detail-preserving Upscale; at medium settings it begins to fill in features with details that were not in the original material, such as hair strands or distant faces; and at high settings it can be jaw-droppingly realistic or dangerously comical, depending on the material, so you have to be careful. I am presently renewing a 90-minute DV documentary I shot in 2000 by upscaling from SD 4:3 to 3840 x 3072, which is the aspect ratio of SD, riding a UHD 16:9 3840 x 2160 crop out, then down-scaling to HD 1920 x 1080.  For me, this is the new Holy Grail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines