• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Core i3-7100u good enough for Premiere CC 2018?

New Here ,
Jun 06, 2018 Jun 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a friend of mine is selling his Intel NUC with:

Core i3-7100u 2.4ghz

8gb RAM

250gb Hard Drive.    i will be adding my ext 4gb drive with 1080p videos.

is this good enough to edit 1080p videos with windows 10?

i understand exporting the finished mp4 can be slow on an i3 vs i7.   but editing, cutting, trimming, and color grading should be fine right?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 06, 2018 Jun 06, 2018

There IS a big difference between the minimum system requirements and the practical (or "recommended by experts") system requirements. You see, the minimum system requirements will launch (start) the program, but then you might not be able to do much if anything within that program. The practical minimum is the minimum that's needed to run the program and perform the most commonly used tasks smoothly within that program.

By the way, Kaby Lake CPUs are actually capable of 4k playback (decoding) ea

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not good enough, I'm afraid, especially if that laptop lacks a discrete GPU but instead uses integrated Intel HD Graphics. That's because that i3-7100U has only two physical CPU cores, while most of the laptops that we recommend have four physical CPU cores. What's more, the clock speed of that i3-7100U is only 2.4 GHz - and based on what I had previously tested on the laptop that I am posting this from (a fourth-generation i5-4210U with a Turbo-boosted both-core clock speed of 2.4 GHz with only integrated Intel HD Graphics, expect your editing experience to also be choppy. Not just on exports, but in the workspace as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Not good enough, I'm afraid, especially if that laptop lacks a discrete GPU"

A NUC is not even a laptop - it is a very tiny PC, being a box about 5 inches on a side. Of course there are more powerful NUC units available than the one in question, but this one would seriously disappoint as an editing machine.

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I did not see the "NUC" part of it. But the components imply entry-level laptop-class componentry.

At any rate, that NUC is barely suitable for even Premiere Elements, let alone Premiere Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it meet the specifications? Adobe Premiere Pro System Requirements

Premiere uses heavily a supported GPU.

I wouldn't use your computer for editing.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, it meets the min requirement.

adobe has GPU as optional. i see this i3 is Kaby Lake capable of doing 4k easily.  but off course this NUC unit does not have discreeet graphic card so it's hard to say....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There IS a big difference between the minimum system requirements and the practical (or "recommended by experts") system requirements. You see, the minimum system requirements will launch (start) the program, but then you might not be able to do much if anything within that program. The practical minimum is the minimum that's needed to run the program and perform the most commonly used tasks smoothly within that program.

By the way, Kaby Lake CPUs are actually capable of 4k playback (decoding) easily. Rendering and editing 4k is a completely different story: It still relies very heavily on raw CPU power. This is why an i3-7100U is actually significantly weaker than even a second-generation (Sandy Bridge) i7-2xxxQM, let alone a contemporaneous i7-7xxxHQ.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2018 Jun 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ahhh ok. thanks!

i was looking for something super small so i can carry it around in the house. there is already a super pc in the house and my babies usually sleep in it.   guess i just need to relocate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...or you need to relocate the babies... .

GPU is optional, but Premiere is one of the products that is really using the GPU! Optional means here only it works without, but net very well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RjL190365  wrote

There IS a big difference between the minimum system requirements and the practical (or "recommended by experts") system requirements.

That's correct. If you are more then a occasional beginners user ​with any software​you should look into the recommended configurations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Material and quality is better than quantity if your looking for creative things plz my friend has

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines