• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Create Project Without Importing Files

Explorer ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am a bit confused with the new import mode feature. How do I create a project without importing and clips/files? I just want to make a blank project the way it used to default to. I am using Adobe Premiere Pro 2022 on a Windows 10. 

Thank you.

TOPICS
How to , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

You dont need to import files.

Just name the project, set path and hit create.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You dont need to import files.

Just name the project, set path and hit create.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 07, 2022 Oct 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

these are funtially hidden

if you are working quickly everything seems to mandate loading footge and create proj w footage seleted.

if adobe is trying to copy dinvinchi all you doing is making me do is learn it faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 07, 2022 Oct 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume you mean "functionally hidden" .. .but the old import options are no more hidden that before. As they were never part of the new project dialog.

The old "new project dialog" had options to Name & Locate the project. AND a bunch of options that (as they are 'sticky' and most people do the same over and over) were NEVER used.

After you clicked Create at the bottom of that dialog, skipping a ton of options ... the new project opened and you imported from the project panel or Media Browser panel.

So now, you skip some different options to click Create ... and import exactly as you did before.

So ... why is skipping different unused options so suddenly horrible? Was it that much more fun or something to skip the old options?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you pay any attention to the entire list of options in the previous new project dialog? Most didn't.

They just changed the other options. If they're not useful to you, ignore them as you did before. And do as Ann says ... name, location, create.

Same process.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 here. Everyone in our studio who got the update thought they HAD  to import media to create new projects.

Maybe the confusion comes from this alert style message at the bottom of the new project screen? The text yells "Select media to create project". I bet Adobe can tweak the language here.

Also, we're all on Mac and the left side "local" file navigation is completely useless. It's slow and far less efficient than using the OS Finder.

Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 11.16.52.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, it was and is confusing to look at for most of us. "They' seemed puzzled we were confused.

Sigh. Computer programs and Life ... not always a sweet combination.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so how do you create a new file. This is marked as a correct answer. Hmmm. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very simple: just as before.

Type a project name in the Project Name box upper left.

Select a Location on-disc for the Project file in the dropdown just to the right.

Then click the Create button.

The new project opens in the Edit page. Use the MediaBrowser or Project panel to import assets as before.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

new project - import.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2022 Aug 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this issue as well and it's a bug with the M1 macs. It wouldn't let me create a project without selecting footage. The solution that I found was to open Premiere up in the Intel version. In Adobe Cloud, right click on Premiere and click on Open Intel version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 11, 2022 Sep 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

throwing in one more oddity from my part related to this topic. 

When I try to import media into a new Project the file browser in PP (22.6.2, Build 2) will only show the first file of the media library, see screenshot below. On the left hand side is macOS' (12.5.1) Finder showing correctly the content and on the right hand side PP's Import view showing only the first file. 

1. This issue has been around since maybe April/May 2022, but I haven't bothered to do anything about it as you still could Create the project although only after a moment of waiting the Create button turned from greyed out to blue.  

2. Now it takes forever for the button to turn blue and I'd like this to work as it is supposed to, meaning to be able to pick the files right away.

Any input?

Thank you!

Adobe PP 22.6.2 missing media.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Report this in detail on their Premiere Pro UserVoice  system, so it goes to the devs ... that is their input portal for the engineers.

This forum is user-to-user help (primarily) with some product support oversight. It's good to post about things like this here, so the user base can compare notes. But ALSO get them to the devs.

As most of the devs are 1) passionate editors themselves and 2) Mac based gear heads ... apparently they're not getting this on their own M1s, and so it's got to be on some subset for some reason.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @R Neil Haugen I just did!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this new project creation sucks. please have option to go back to how it was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then don't USE it.

It is your choice to either work 'the old way' or the new.

The old is just as before:

Type a Name.

Select a Location.

Click "Create"

The new empty project opens, and import assets as before.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

every time i go to make a new page the screen with impossible to read file dir - i think that main thing the middle is where im saving my project.

not the equally hard to read almsot hidden - save proj location on the top.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish it was that easy. As long as the Create button is greyed out you can do anything but create a new project. Currently I cannot use Premiere Pro and am slowly adopting other tools, which really is tragic if you consider the reason for that - a bug not attended to.

I will now have to escalate this to Adobe Help.

It seems my reported issue (see above) is of little urgency - anywhere really.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 10, 2022 Oct 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

took a min when i wasnt trying to work quick realize what is happening/feels broken in the new premier.

adobe apps (or the ones i use, ae, ps, il) -
you open, top left blue button - new file, choose save location.
(ok ae, you go to the file menu, but same -- new file, choose location.

new premiere - you click new proj and you dont get the standard window to choos location

You get a screen full of file paths and a big blue button to import,

visually the save location and name are hidden on the top where 20yrs of using adobe apps or anything else really - i have never looked to name/choose where file is saved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 10, 2022 Oct 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The previous "new project" window was a floating box.

At the top, you typed a Name, and selected a location in a drop-down slot.

Below that was around six options for setting various cache file locations, which were sticky. So once you set them, most never ever touched those again.

The Create button was at the bottom.

So they replaced that dialog box with a screen, with options that actually several thousand pro users use daily (think TV newsrooms & such). And didn't think they were affecting anyone else.

Because for the rest of us, the process is the same even though the 'box' is different.

Type a Name, set Location, click Create.

Except the Create button is WAY the heck across the screen, and we can't tab or other keyboard tap to invoke it, which is a right pain.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2023 Mar 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Premiere just keeps trying to import files even though I didn't ask it to. It's really annoying me, it's never done that before... I shut it down, restart it, select "NEW PROJECT" uncheck all the boxes and hit create and it starts to import batch files! WHY?!? Like, I literally selected NOTHING! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 07, 2023 Mar 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's either something starred in the center section, or some option on the right side blue indicating selected, that us what's going on.

Make sure no center items are starred, no right items blue.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2024 Mar 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Way Premiere works today at start is SO ANNOYING. It's the only software I use that FORCES me to create a project file to start it. I open premiere a lot of times during the day, just to check things on videos, test something I DON'T WANT to SAVE anything. 
    My only solution is to always save over the same untitled project, which is a dirt way to fix it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 24, 2024 Mar 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Huh?

All video projects are ... projects. This isn't a video player.

And you don't have to create a project to launch it, just open a previous one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines