• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

create proxy with mxf-clips and multichannel audio?

Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2016 Jun 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Create proxies" with 8-channel audio footage (4096 x 2160 MXF AVC /H.264 XAVC codec, only 2 channels recorded) doesn't work. How can I solve this problem?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 24, 2016 Jun 24, 2016

Which preset(s) did you try and what exactly is failing?

I tried a few XAVC clips with 8 channel audio (only first two channels actually had audio) and Create Proxies worked for me using the default QuickTime ProRes and GoPro CineForm presets, as well as a custom DNxHD preset.

Did you happen to use the H.264 preset and get an error in the Events panel? (The selected preset does not support the audio channel type of the clip). If so, this is expected, as H.264 export/transcode does not support 8 ch

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the original footage?  From what camera?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Camera: SONY PXW-Z100, Footage: 4096 x 2160 mxf, XAVC, 8 channels as standard,  but only 2 recorded with SONY ECM-MS2 micro or built-in micro, recorded on XDQ-S-card and transferred to PC's HDD via SONY's content browser

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.

Have you tried the 1024 x 540 Cineform proxy option under Ingest Settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which preset(s) did you try and what exactly is failing?

I tried a few XAVC clips with 8 channel audio (only first two channels actually had audio) and Create Proxies worked for me using the default QuickTime ProRes and GoPro CineForm presets, as well as a custom DNxHD preset.

Did you happen to use the H.264 preset and get an error in the Events panel? (The selected preset does not support the audio channel type of the clip). If so, this is expected, as H.264 export/transcode does not support 8 channel audio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much! I used a H.264 preset, but with the presets you recommended it works. Now I can enjoy it, because I was waiting since long for "proxy".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2016 Jun 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please recommend one that would work for our 8 channel media?  I feel like a lot of us with Sony cameras are going to have this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 27, 2016 Jun 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

QuickTime ProRes and GoPro CineForm presets are both good candidates for 8channel audio support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2016 Oct 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there Staff,

I came here thinking I was going to find answers for my problem, but the original poster didn't have the same issue as I.

I'm making proxies for Sony A7sii footage that was recorded through an external monitor recorder. It has 8 channels of audio.

I am using "Edit Ready" to make proxies and have gone through ProRes (Proxy), ProRes (LT), .H264, and DNxHR, to make proxies.

Everytime I have tried attaching in premiere, with every format, it says "full resolution and proxy media must have matching audio channels."

I"m incredibly undeniably stuck.

Thank you so much.

Keith Hill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2017 May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trent,

I have a similar problem. I need proxy with 8 audio channels, but with a much lower file size. H.264 mp4 would be perfect for this, but it still doesn't have multiple audio channels. I've found a software (Handbrake) which can make multiple audio channels in h.264 mp4, but it would be better to do it in Encoder.

Is there a chance that this option would be available in Premiere/Encoder?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2018 Jun 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you add a LUT on a Prores file?

I'm trying to Proxy file recorded on  Canon c200.  I want to make a:

"_____CANON.CRM" file (w/4 audio tracks)

>>>> INTO >>>> 

Proxyfile - Size: 1024x504 w/ LUT: Rec709

Can this be done???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These presets are broken when it comes to exporting multichannel audio, creating instead multiple mixdowns. This isn't what multichannel audio is, and it makes proxies impossible in Adobe products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2018 Dec 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this info is useful but I ran into the same technical brainstorm. What I did was in media encoder program is the switch from H264 to QuickTime in the "FORMAT" TAB and in the "PRESET" I used 1024x540 Apple Prores 422 Proxy. The camera I used was Sony FS5M2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right click on your original file on the project window. Modify>Audio Channels

DESELECT all the channels but keep the 1st and the 2nd channel activated. click OK and try again. Definitively you'll be fine with the proxy thing.

I'm using adobe for years, they dont wanna fix their bugs til the world ends.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Iman (or anyone) 

I found this thread because I tried the sugestion above but it didn't work. 

I'm trying to create proxies in Premiere. I have MXF 8-channel audio footage from Sony FX5 and FS7. only one track of audion is needed. so mix down or delete all track except fiert is fine)

I need to upload the proxies so I need to find a work around to get them into H264.

I used MODIFY>AUDIO CHANNELS and tried unchecking channel, mono one channel,  unchecking all audio etc

and still get error with H264.

The only work around I can think of is to create ProRes intermediary files with audio mixed down then convert those.

Is there an easier wasy?

and if I follow this work flow (rather than creating proxies from Project window) will I be able to toggle between proxies?

Thanks,

Cary

I'm on a PC with a i9

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2023 Oct 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do you cheate the proxy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 04, 2023 Oct 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello hpwagner,

Note this warning from Adobe:

"If your workflow relies on modifying the source clips using any of the following commands [Modify Audio Channels, Interpret Footage, Modify Timecode, Modify Captions], do not use proxies in Premiere Pro. Doing so will result in unexpected behavior."

[page 55 of the Best Practices & Workflow Guide For Long Form and Episodic Post Production ]

I have raised this issue in the forum here.

R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines