• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating new projects - Terrible new interface

Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried searching the forums for an answer, but couldn't find anything in specific. So, is there a way to switch Premiere back to the previous interface when creating new projects from this idiotic new way that Adobe has implimented?

This is literally the worst change I have experienced from Adobe in quite a long time.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only way to switch back is to downgrade Premiere.

But you can take a shortcut in the Import tab.

new project - import.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ann. While I understand how to use the new interface, it is clumsy, removes easy access to things when creating projects that I need and is a poor attempt at duplicating what some other NLE's are doing. It literally fixes something that wasn't broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been covered ad infinitum here.

They never expected experienced users would use the new import page. We were expected to do as before with the old project start dialog.

Type a Name, set the Location, click Create. Then handle all import and structure things from the Project panel and MediaBrowser panels, as we always have.

They should have the Create button next to Name and Location options to make it more clear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They should have the Create button next to Name and Location options to make it more clear.

By @R Neil Haugen

Moving the Create button and placing it to the right of the Project location is one thing i really hope for in future updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guessing the Create button wont get moved to the top, because most OK, Save, Confirm etc buttons are usually bottom right of a window/page.

In the beta the Exit button has been removed. Create button is somewhat moved to the left.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guessing the Create button wont get moved to the top, because most OK, Save, Confirm etc buttons are usually bottom right of a window/page.

By @Ann Bens

I don´t think it will ge moved either and i get the idea behind the location of OK, etc, etc today. But i hope they change their minds and at least move the button toward the center of anywhere on the screen instead lower right. 🙂

Having to mouse from top left down to down right or vice versa is not a good user experience on a standard wide computer screen. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.24 m on a 49 inch monitor from upper left to lower right. And there are people around with 3 monitor setups - even worse. Not so unusual in a professional setup for video editing.

And when you want to check where your files are getting stored you have to go to file menu - project settings after you created a new one, you can't when you create a new one. On the other hand you could have imported hundreds of files in one huge folder with only a few mouseclicks by then - wow.

These new import and export screens are a ridiculous disaster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again: the new import screen was never designed expecting advanced users to use it. Period.

It was seen as a replacement for the options on the old dialog that few users ever used, and with the idea that for newbie's and certain simple workflows, this would be a good starter.

That's all.

Advanced/experienced users were simply "expected" to work as always ... Name, Location, Create, go to the Project panel and MediaBrowser to build projects.

Once you get past the idea you "should" use it, just do Name, Location, Create ... it's just like the old dialog ... mostly stuff you never touch. Just ... bigger. A much longer push to get to the Create button.

And it works perfectly well for those it was designed for.

For the rest of us, the app still works perfectly well as designed, and as we have worked, without any change whatever.

The Export page ... yea, that's actually more annoying.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 11, 2022 Jun 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We heard you, Neil. You post this with never ending patience time and again since weeks. But that does not make it more plausible than it was when you posted it first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It isn't more or less plausible ... it's simply the facts of the matter. And I do mean, facts.

And like Ann says, we're not likely to get any major changes. Much as most of us 'here' would wish it.

The angst over the Import page thing to me is a (nearly) total nothing-burger. Type Name, set Location, click Create, same old same old. Why the emotions? Because ... "It looks different!". Well, big whoop.

Functionally, it isn't different. Just a LOT farther movement of the mouse to get to the Create button, and oh right ... one idiot change, we can't simply hit "enter" to "Create" after setting a location. That angst I DO get. (And supposedly, they're "considering" changing that.)

The Export page ... that functionally is different. Not nearly as smooth or slick for most of us. Angst over that is simply to be expected.

Ann complains of the endless preset list ... well, yea, if you haven't sorted the blame things and un-starred all the stupid ones you'll never use, and made your own, you have endless lists. Which is a pain to be sure.

So I went through and spent probably half an hour un-starring and then making my own presets and starring them. But to get them working quickly, you need to really make mutliple ones for each with different options in the new (and awful design!) "More" section. Name them carefully.

Which is a pain in the tushy to have to do, but once done I can actually get through the new Export page pretty quickly without needing to send everything to Me. My lists are now a lot more efficient ... not that I would have chosen to move to the new process, but I can make it workable without extra pain.

After all that extra work involved, note. Yea, angst away on that one!

While most of the discussion time we had at NAB with staffers and supers was cordial to informative ... the discussion moments about the new interface, and the new color handling/management ... shall we say were ... direct. A leetle less "comfortable". (Well, a lot less comfortable clearly for a couple staffers ... )

It was wonderful to actually see and talk to real people again. And I know quite a few of the staffers after all these years. And it was especially wonderful to be able to harp in person about some of the things that aren't going so well.

Like ... the new Export page. And splaying of the new Color Management tools all over the fricking app, rather than giving us an actual color management PANEL to set, check, and control things. And about the small amount of information they've actually given to users on USING the new CM stuff, including defaults and other oddities.

The bizarre performance issues ... some users, like me, getting the fastest processing ever in Premiere ... but some with similar kit getting crud. Same with the M1's. Some are screaming, some are totally tanking. What the ... ??????

The Pr2022 release left a lot of users scrambling, mostly unnecessarily in my estimation, on so many fronts. Many of the changes like the new CM stuff are badly needed, but the rollout was ... not well handled, to be very, very polite about it.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One way or another, we are stuck with this. The same goes for the export tab.

I have been mucking about for quite a while with the export tab: too much clicking and scrolling. Mile-long useless (for me) presets.

In the end, I resort to the old-fashioned one still in AME (wonder how long it will take for Adobe to change that).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I continue to hear Neil's argument from Adobe die-hards. It doesn't excuse for the poor decission to impliment it or design it in the way they did. A good implimenmtation would have been helpful to all users.

And, no, I'm not stuck with it, luckily. My team will be transitioning to Resolve in the next few months, not just because of this, but for numerous reasons. Adobe's decisions with Premiere has driven my once very Adobe loyal team members to start looking elsewhere and Resolve is where we've landed.

But, thanks for everyone responding in good-faith, I hope Adobe is listening to everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not an argument, it's a rather simple explanation.

That's all.

And I still don't get why doing what we always have is suddenly a deal-breaker.

Name. Location. Create.

The Export page, yea, that I get. It was a change definitely not for the better.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because the UI is trash, forced equally on all users. Plus, that trash is slow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To many of us, it's of no use. To many others, it's a fantastic tool.

Just because it's of no use to me, do I feel the need to tell others for whom it's a great addition that they're worthless garbage no one should care about.

Because everyone's mileage always varies.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have yet to read/hear a single opinion that says that UI is "fantastic" or at least "good".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 11, 2022 Nov 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And that surprises you  ... why?

No one ever posts here about how wonderfully something is working. They ONLY post when they have problems!

That's how we humans work.

I don't "like" the new import page either. But my feellings are those of one user, that's all they are. So I don't conflate myself to "all users!".

And that new simple/flat project start process is the cat's meow for a lot of TV newsrooms, and many corporate explainer creators. They are welcome to it. I'll never use it except for perhaps doing tutorials on how to use it.

But I would be stunned at anyone coming on to post how they like it ... it would be maybe the second or third such post in the decade or so I've been working in Pr and hanging on this forum. The only forum I see such things is in discussions on new features in the Public Beta forum.

I don't get why you are so hostile to others getting something useful to them if it doesn't look right to you.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't get what so surprising in people being hostile to badly designed stuff that makes their life harder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Type a project name. Select Location. Click Create.

That's been the process for creating new projects for years.

It is STILL the process for most of us for making new projects.

The only thing "harder" is we have to mouse farther to the Create button ... and yea, I want to be able to Tab/Enter to do that rather than mouse.

But that is the only "extra" work ... mousing a couple more inches.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Now, being over the top frustrated with the new "export page" ... that I totally get, as that DID substantially change how & what we have to do.

Although you can make it not as bad by taking some time to rebuild the Presets list. By going through, UNfavoriting all currently favorited presets, favoriting ONLY those which you use.

And ... because of the flipping "more ... " thing, if you occasionally use a preset with different options, create different presets for EACH set of options you use. Named for them.

Then it's not ... horrid.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to add my voice to those that hate this new interface. It's just terrible, not just from the perspective of all of us who are used to a certain dialogue and are forced to adjust.

Why in the world do I need to take two additional steps to arrive at a place I can choose a directory location of the project, which is what I want to do 80% of the time? Why is 90% of the screen devoted to importing media? I don't understand how "They never expected experienced users would use the new import page" when that's the thing that dominates the interface when you hit "command+alt+n".

If it's not intuitive and clear how to accomplish a most basic and common goal, it's a fundamental failure of design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't (mostly) disagree with your reaction. It is certainly not a design I would ever have come up with.

But the end working result doesn't depend on what it looks like, but what it does. And how it works. And yes, if you do Name, Location, Create, the result is exactly as it behaved before.

As to using the space ... if you're going to create a place for media importing, it naturally needs to be a large space.

I am mostly critical of them not providing either a Tab action to the Create button, or simply being able to hit Enter after selecting a location and getting an opened project.

Either one would be a huge improvement.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply, and yes, being able to tab or hit Enter after selecting a location would be helpful. And I agree that the interface seems useful for importing media. The problem is, that's not what I'm asking the program to do, I'm asking it to create a new project.

It's like if in order to start my car, I had to reach all the way across the dashboard, past the stereo and heating/AC controls, and past the glovebox to do so. Sure, it's the same number of actions and I suppose over time I'd get used to it, but it's incredibly inconvenient.

In the previous interface I also had convenient access to important project settings, like scratch disks and capture settings. It's just a massive step backwards, and I don't understand why they'd want to cram new project creation into a space meant for something else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can vote for changing this feature here:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines