• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cross Dissolve in Premier is broken, it transitions on a curve, not linearly

Contributor ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

firstly I have no interest in anyones patronizing response, I've done this a long time and have self taught dozens of post production tools, thank you.

Premier's cross dissolve doesn't transition evenly, this has been a problem for many years, but I'm choosing today to gripe about it.

The transition never feels linear, it's either moving too slow then speeds up at the end of vice versa, almost as if there's easing, but there is NOT, this is just from straight applying default transition, and on my system I have it set to 15 frames, but I see the issue no matter the transition length.

I have workarounds like manually keyframing the clips opacity, or using a black solid and building a manual fade from black (or white etc), but this is all nonsense, the transition should just do it's job and not require this extra effort or a post in a forum.

The main crime here is that the speed shift is perceptible which makes the transitions jarring, which is one of the reasons to use a cross dissolve, to soften the transition between shots (as well as show a change of time or place etc)

TOPICS
Effects and Titles , Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many of us switched to FilmImpacts basic dissolve, it's free to install. It used to be 4 basic transitions, including 'Impact Dissolve'. It was documented on their site, basically what you are saying.

https://www.filmimpact.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the page:

https://www.filmimpact.com/get-free-access/

Discover our entire library of transitions and effects free for 30 days. Get 4 plugins as our gift to you just for trying our premium plugins!

• Blur to Color Impacts
  • Dissolve Impact
  • Push Impacts
  • Roll Impacts

Instantly download and install your FREE Video Transitions listed above, and enjoy 30-days of Free Unlimited Access to our Entire Library of Premium Effects. Simply fill out the form above!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cheers man, yes I'm aware of this, I used it at another studio (I freelance as well as run my own operation) and I like their Push Impacts (I overused it for a phase). I think I eventually wound up going with Mr.Horse vs filmimpact because there was more bundled with it - but I never use Mr.Horse for basic dissolves.

Seems a shame to go third party though when this should be a basic functional tool. Also FilmImpact is a subscription model now, I don't think I should be incurring a repeating cost for basic transitions in the NLE

Thanks for your response!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep in mind, that dissolve transition is free and yours to keep. It's very good. You can just set it as your default transition in place of the Adobe dissolve and Shift-D away.

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for letting me know about the free dissolve, this will ultimately be my solution, even though I think it's incredibly embarassing for Adobe that the most basic transition in their NLE is broken.

Also the comment about Linear Color space was useful, I figured it had something to do with that, but still don't see why this isn't fixed...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, that's what I meant by "It was documented on their site, basically what you are saying."

I've seen @Averdahl post many times regards "Linear Color Space"! 🙂

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the Filmimpact guy even has a video where he shows you on scopes how broken Premier's built in dissolve is, lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOhOTkGri8s&t=99s

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premier's cross dissolve doesn't transition evenly, this has been a problem for many years, but I'm choosing today to gripe about it.

By @doctorsney

Yes, it stinks and the issue has never been adressed and probably never will. The transition will be very uneven if you for example has a video clip on V1 and place a video clip abowe it (any track abowe) and place the transition on that clip.

In those cases Sequence > Sequence Settings and un-check "Composite in Linear Color" will solve that.

You will never regret following the tip provided by MyerPj. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines