• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS6: Deciding on initial project settings when working with videos in various formats

Community Beginner ,
Jan 01, 2023 Jan 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a new user of CS6. I watched a tutorial that explained how to adjust project settings, but something isn't clear to me. If one was going to work on a project that will contains segments of videos in various formats from 720p to 4K, how does one decide what initial settings to use?

TOPICS
Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 01, 2023 Jan 01, 2023

@Richard27761516i8xw 

The answer to your question is, yes, a program that's top-of-the line should have up-conversion and that's why Detail-preserving Upscale in the October release of After Effects version 12.1 (the next version after After Effects CS6) was a very popular new feature.

When After Effects version 11 CS6 was the current version, high-quality up-conversion was still very much hardware based.  We'd have most likely sent clips over to a post production facility for up-conversion

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would be the smallest: 720p.

Upscaling 720p to UDH timeline will look awfull.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply. So it sounds like you have to scale up the lowest videos to the highest, or bring the highest rsolution down to the lowest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bring the highest down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could also meet in the middle at 1080p.

If you decide to upconvert 720p, After Effects Detail-preserving Upscale does a really good job with picture quality up to a 200% scale increase.

To upconvert 720p to 2160p (if it cannot be avoided), I'd use Topaz Labs Video Enhcance AI ($299, but usually on sale and there's a free trail).

When upconverting, be sure to factor in the time it takes to do so.  It can take longer than expected render.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guessing OP does not have Ae CS6, and it does not have Detail Preserving Upscale.

CS6 does not upscale very well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the options I listed are currently available, not legacy software.

Red Gaint Instant 4K worked very well in Premiere Pro CS6, but it has been discontinued for awhile noe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm...I know CS6 is a bit older, but shouldn't a program that was top of the line for the time not scale up at least as well as any other programs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A bit old? It is more than 10 years old. Software wise that is very old.

If you compare cs6 to present day CC there is a HUGE difference.

But what is stopping you to do some experimenting with all the different framesizes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing at all, but of course as a begninner I'm still inclined to seek out and listen to the advice of seasoned users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Richard27761516i8xw 

The answer to your question is, yes, a program that's top-of-the line should have up-conversion and that's why Detail-preserving Upscale in the October release of After Effects version 12.1 (the next version after After Effects CS6) was a very popular new feature.

When After Effects version 11 CS6 was the current version, high-quality up-conversion was still very much hardware based.  We'd have most likely sent clips over to a post production facility for up-conversion via a Teranex box or solution by Panasonic.  Back then, those were usually done tape to tape (so DV, DVCPro, DigiBeta, or D1 would get bumped up to HD D5, HDCAM or HDCAM SR).  As far as "as well as any other programs" goes, there was a very short list of software options.  Apple Compressor classic had inherited software up-conversion technology from Shake, but despite being pretty good, it was not as good as a hardware up-conversion of the time.  Super Scale in Resolve didn’t come until 2017 or 2018 (I think it was Resolve version 15) and the neural engine option in the paid version is more recent than that.  Options like Video Topaz Video Enhance AI (probably the best software solution right now and maybe the first that’s better than hardware) wasn’t available until April 2020.

It would be great to see After Effects Detail-preserving Upscale directly in Premiere Pro, but at least it is not more than a right-click and Replace with After Effects Composition away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your explanation here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines