• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS6 on Macbook Pro with M1Pro/Max Chip?

New Here ,
Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since 2012 I use Premiere Pro CS6 on a MacBook Pro with 2,7 GHz Intel Core i7 / 16 GB RAM. Now I think about buying a new and faster MacBook with a M1Pro or M1Max Chip. If I understand correct, I could download the latest version of CS6 and activate it with my old serial number (see an answered post of 2017). Would this version actually run on such a new MacBook? Could it use its full power or, at least, would it run significantly faster than on my old one? What about the RAM size (16/32/64)? Thanks for advice - Hartmut

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Not being able to run CS6 on an Apple Silicon (M1/M2) based Mac is not a processor limitation, but rather an operating system one.

Apple depricated QuickTime as a system driver for time based media back in 2013 and the last version of macOS to support QuickTime based applications was macOS High Sierra 10.13.  M1 Pro and M1 Max based computers ship with macOS Monterey 12 (but you could try to roll back to macOS Big Sur 11).

I found that both CS5.5 and CS6 ran pretty well up to macOS 10.12, no

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not being able to run CS6 on an Apple Silicon (M1/M2) based Mac is not a processor limitation, but rather an operating system one.

Apple depricated QuickTime as a system driver for time based media back in 2013 and the last version of macOS to support QuickTime based applications was macOS High Sierra 10.13.  M1 Pro and M1 Max based computers ship with macOS Monterey 12 (but you could try to roll back to macOS Big Sur 11).

I found that both CS5.5 and CS6 ran pretty well up to macOS 10.12, not so well under macOS 10.13 High Sierra, but best under macOS 10.9.5.

If you're looking to run CS6 on a faster Mac than what you're currently using, a used/reconditioned/renewed 2013 Mac Pro is probalby your best bet, but anything from 2011 to 2013 should work well as long as you stick wtih macOS 10.9 to 10.12.

Something to be mindfull of is that the activation servier for CS6 could stop working at any time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines