• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS6 unusable since resetting computer and reloading

Explorer ,
Jun 28, 2022 Jun 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having catastrophic issues with CS6.  After using CS6 with my 2019 XPS 15 successfully for a couple years, I started having speed issues with Premiere Pro so I decided it might be time to reset my computer which I did. After resetting the computer and then reloading CS6, I had numerous PP issues:

• I could not open PP projects from the start screen. The program just locks up: "(not responding)"
  • I could open a new PP project but when I tried to import a file, the program would lock up in the same way
  • I could open an existing project from file folder (double-click) and it would open ok with its timeline and clips (I could even play the video) but when I tried to move the clips in the timeline they would not move.  Also, I had the same issue with tasks like importing files that would lock up the program.

So far, I've:

• Reset my computer completely again and reloaded CS6 again but got the same results
  • Deleted media cache

I've run out of ideas. I've used CS6 successfully on this computer a couple years and am desperate to get back to where I was. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I understand that one of my options is to switch to CC but I cannot afford it and felt lucky that I was able to use PP CS6.

2019 Dell XPS15 7590

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 2.40 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.7 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try resetting preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. If I'm understanding correctly, I went as far as to reset my entire computer and loaded only CS6 from the disks but the results were the same. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure that you have all Windows updates.

If that doesn't work, try Preferences > Audio Hardware and set Input to None.

If that doesn’t work, try updating or rolling back your graphics driver directly from the video card manufacturer’s site. If NVIDIA, do a clean installation of the latest Studio Driver (NOT the Game Driver)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2022 Jun 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ugh. I did all of your recommendations including the studio driver install and same results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also toggled between the my two graphics cards and the results were the same for the two graphics cards. The native Intel card and the NVIDIA GeForce GFX1650.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 does not use the graphic cards you have in your machine.

You can activate the 1650 by adding this line

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650

to the cuda supported cards text list in the root.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I added my card to the cuda list but no change. Thank you for the idea,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you add the card exactly as I wrote it down.

Not according to the way described in the tutorial.

Otherwise, it wont work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this might be a hard drive issue. what is your storage configuration?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 1T internal Toshiba drive (KXG60ZNV1T02) and an external 4T WD easystore drive (25FA). I've been using this configuration with CS6 for 2 years now without issue. It all changed when I made the catastrophic improvement of resetting my computer hoping to improve its speed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 and NVIDIA GeForce GFX1650 Graphics Cards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did adding NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 to the cuda supported cards text list in the root work?

When you get the computer working as you like it, it might be a good idea to use something like the free AOMEI Backupper to create a disk image so that you can restore it in the future if necessary:

https://www.ubackup.com/free-backup-software.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what the text list is. The backupper sounds like something I need to be doing. My next plan is to load CS6 on an old computer of mine to see if there is a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what the text list is.

By @we135b

This is for CS5, but is similar for CS6:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL3NaSYU16w

Tutorial on CUDA setup in Adobe CS5 products. Works with all CUDA enabled GPUs from NVidia. Enables CUDA for Premiere Pro and OpenGL in After Effects for faster rendering and 3D animation. The drivers for CUDA are able to be downloaded on NVidia's site. BEFORE DOWNLOAD OF CUDA: Install the latest

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I was able to add my card to the cuda list. No change. Bummer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you restart the computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. No luck though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also try setting it to run with Win 7 compatibility. Right click on pr.exe, properties, compatibility.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I ran the compatibility check and it recommended Win 7 compatibility as you guessed so I made the change but no difference. It actually freezes differently now though but no improvement. It takes task manager to crash out of it. Thanks for the idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm. I loaded PP CS6 on my circa 2013 XPS 13. I loaded fine and works fine. Not sure what that tells me. The XPS 13 is still on Windows 10 since it is incompatible with 11. Thats the only real difference but CS6 worked fine on 11 before I reset my computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines