• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CUDA hardware acceleration fails

Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2022 Jun 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When editing in Adobe Premier Pro 2022 22.5.0 (build 62), the video display will go dark. Sometimes just saving the file, exiting, and restarting the file will restore the capability. A few times, I had to swtich to software only and then back again. Using the 5129.96 studio nvidia studio driver.

TOPICS
Editing , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 28, 2022 Jun 28, 2022

I've had this issue plenty of times.

Premiere is ancient software that is poorly optimized for modern workflows. Even with 8GB of VRAM, your graphics card could run out of memory if you're dealing with 6 or 8K footage and/or color grading. The black screen happens when Mercury Playback runs out of memory. It's not programmed to warn you, it will just show a black screen and sometimes crash.

This happens on footage that is a bit more difficult to decode I guess because it's not only about the resol

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jun 27, 2022 Jun 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried changing the driver? Sometimes rolling back a driver or two works if the latest one doesn't.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 28, 2022 Jun 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried various drivers going back to December 2021 with no luck. I'll be
trying various combinations of drivers and software levels to see if I can
get one that works consistently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening to me as well. I have wasted hours today with an EOD deadline quickly approaching. Premiere has been absolutely infurating recently, as soon as I have some free time I'll be diving into resolve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wondering what the hay is causing some users like you so much grief with Cuda ... it's not an issue here. What the world is going nutso? Wish I knew ...

Do post this on their UserVoice system. Posting here is seen by other users. Posting there goes directly to the engineers.

Neil

Premiere Pro UserVoice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this issue plenty of times.

Premiere is ancient software that is poorly optimized for modern workflows. Even with 8GB of VRAM, your graphics card could run out of memory if you're dealing with 6 or 8K footage and/or color grading. The black screen happens when Mercury Playback runs out of memory. It's not programmed to warn you, it will just show a black screen and sometimes crash.

This happens on footage that is a bit more difficult to decode I guess because it's not only about the resolution, sometimes it happens because it's RED footage.

Obviusly software rendering is out of the question even on my 32 core Threadripper, so the only workaround I found is to create proxies like it's 1999.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the comments. Your analysis sounds spot on. I’ll try proxies. I
am editing files that are almost 8k res so what you say makes sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2022 Jun 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

have you tried clearing the preview files? also the cache files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, to both. No change. It looks like just using proxies seems to have
gotten around the issue. See the response above that gives pretty good
commentary on the status and quality of the product (in my view).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The computer screens on my i9 9900K RTX 2070 system would go black and my computer would reboot. I had to wipe and reload windows. That problems was solved but I still have performance issues as seen in the video link below. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your video, you were monitoring the GPU load, but not VRAM. When VRAM fills up, Mercury Engine starts to buckle. Playing several 4K clips at the same time will fill it up. How much VRAM do you have? 6GB?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The CPU and GPU usage used to scale accordingly. Even with my Lynnfield and Haswell CPU. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure why you didn't answer my question or why you think this is relevant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You said your video screen went dark. I never heard of the screen going dark. You may have to wipe and reload Windows to fix that problem. I posted my video to let you know you might encounter other problems. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

32 Gig. Was only editing one file at a time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's your system RAM. Your graphics card has separate RAM, Video RAM. Usually between 6 and 12GB. What graphics card do you have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry misread. My VRAM is 4GB. But I think you were really asking this question of Andy 1968 who had replied to my question with an example of a different problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a quick update. Moving to proxies seems to have solved the issue. I'm now running on the most current NVIDIA driver from 5/29 (studio) and the most current Adobe release. It looks like Adobe and/or the video card just can't handle the demand of raw 4k+ files. Video card is an NVIDIA 1650 Super with 4GB of VRAM. Not sure what the root cause is or was but using proxies has caused it to vanish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yes, I have 8GB on a 3060Ti and it's not enough with two 6K Red files overlaid, Lumetri and some graphics on top.

It would happen even more easily on my previous 6GB 1660S. 4GB will not be enough for sure. Proxies ftw.

My next card will be at least 10, probably 12GB to make sure my workflow is not interrupted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a machine from early 2017 with a 1080 GT graphics card. Instead of working with proxies, I have made it part of my workflow to render in to out, instead of relying on the yellow bar performance without rendering. I have customized a keyboard shortcut for rendering in to out to CTRL+enter. Frequently, I render out portions of the sequence that have multiple effects happening or - as in your case - multiple video streams showing at once.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines