• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cutting a vertical clip in the timeline delayed

Contributor ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I make a cut to a clip shot in 9:16 format nothing happens for several seconds. Everything else seems to be ok, but this happens both with keystroke shortcut cutting and mouse clicking with the blade tool.

I have cleared all my media cache and closed other apps, but to no avail. 

This only happens with vertical clips - landscape, square and 4:3 are fine.

Is there any extra setting I may have missed to optimise for vertical video?

As more clients want this godforsaken format, this is becoming a serious issue. Any advice much appreciated!

Tools I'm using are:

MBP 16" 2.3GHz 8-core i9, 64GB RAM

Radeon 5500M GPU 8GB

OSX 10.15.7

PP 15.2

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Formats , Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you elaborate on your sequence settings and the type of footage you're working with?

Help us help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Richard,

Sequence is set to 1080 x 1920 25fps - Prores HQ rec 709

Footage is Prores HQ 2160 x 4096 25p transcoded in Media Encoder from Panasonic S1H 400mbps i-frame 

Shot vertically, no footage rotation outside camera.

The exact same setup in Landscape mode works perfectly. I'm working on 2 similar projects concurrently but one is for mobile social channels (hence vertical), whilst the other is for more traditional consumption. The Landscape project is smooth as butter. I surmise that there is a resource issue raised by the vertical footage, but wonder if there is a switch or setting within Premiere that might address this? If not, then it needs to be addressed as a feature request.

Thanks for any advice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could be that your system chokes on ProRes HQ as your editing mode. Is there a specific reason for you to chose this? Can you try to use another mode (e.g. AVCHD square pixel)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try it out, but anything native from the S1H is usually like treacle compared to ProRes (which is why I usually use Prores). I use the HQ flavour to retain as much data as possible. The pixels are square in both codecs.

What is odd is that it only affects my timeline when the footage is in a vertical aspect.

I'll report back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, that was quick and interesting - now I need to understand!

I tried on the same timeline with the untouched AVCHD, straight out of the camera, and it worked perfectly, no lag at all when cut. Moving to a transcoded clip and the delay was ever present. Pop a transcoded landscape clip on the timeline and it worked as normal too.

It seems that the transcode is the issue. My next test will have to be vertical footage recorded on my Ninja V (didn't use it on this job, due to logistics, but usually that is my source for all footage and never an issue of any sort).

I suspect the lesson is that transcoded footage is only to be used when it's a lighter proxy and not as a full quality master.

Thanks for helping me work and think through this! D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines