Jan 08, 2019 Jan 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all!

Firstly, system info:

• Mac Pro (Late 2013) running macOS Sierra 10.12.5
  • 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
  • 64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 RAM
  • Premiere Pro CC v13.0.2 (upgraded from 13.0.1 a few days ago)
  • Working with media on Mac OS formatted external hard drives (Lacie Ruggeds and G-Drives connected both via USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt 2)

Full-time editor here with lots of experience in Premiere. At work, I've been experiencing a recurring problem where projects opened in newer versions of Premiere than the version they were started on will have many clips that have danger stripes. I know this means there's a fault with the way the media was linked and/or could be a broken master clip reference, but none of the usual solutions work. Here are some things I've tried:

• Making media offline and re-linking without changing the media name and/or location on the drive
  • Making media offline and re-linking after changing the media name and/or location on the drive
  • Using "Replace Footage" in the project window
  • Replacing effected clip in timeline with corresponding clip in bin (this gets rid of the danger stripes, but I then have to manually slip the clip back to where it was)
  • Clearing all caches, resetting Premiere preferences, re-installing Premiere, restarting computer, etc. before trying any of the above methods

The only solution I've found that allows me to open the project and have everything be linked the way it was when it was being worked on in an older version of Premiere is by installing that older version of Premiere and continuing to work on the project there. This solution is not sustainable as only certain older versions of Premiere are available for installation (not necessarily the older version I need) and I can't efficiently do my job if it means having to keep track of 2+ versions of Premiere.

If Premiere projects are supposedly upgradable to the current version of the software, that upgrade should not come with project-breaking issues. I have experienced this issue on multiple (20+) projects on multiple (5+) workstations at work

Appreciative of any tips that anyone might have! Thank you so much.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 08, 2019 Jan 08, 2019

So I tried a few things and have fixed the problem! Unfortunately, since I tried multiple things, I'm not sure which step(s) actually solved the problem, haha. I hadn't cleared preview files like you suggested, so I made sure to do that. Another big change I made was to offline all the files and then, when linking them via the "Link Media" window, de-selecting "Align Timecode." I kept "Relink others automatically," "Preserve interpret footage settings," and "Use Media Browser to locate files" ch

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Danger Stripes? Can you please post a screenshot of it?

The only things that comes to mind is missing effects. Also the steps you applied and the ones that worked point to the same direction. If danger stripes is what I think it is, then you have applied some 3rd effects on those clips that they don't exist anymore since you upgraded. Do you have any effects applied to clips with danger stripes? 3rd party or not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply, here's a screenshot: Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 2.16.03 PM.png

Unfortunately, as far as I understand, danger stripes don't have anything to do with effects applied to the footage (nor has this footage had any effects applied besides changed position/scale) - they indicate incorrectly linked media. Essentially, Premiere is telling me that the striped clips in that screenshot are linked to a file that doesn't have any actual footage at those timestamps. However, as I explained above, I've taken several different steps towards assuring that all of the clips are linked correctly and do have footage at those timestamps, and yet I am still experiencing this issue only after upgrading Premiere versions.

Hopefully this clears some stuff up. Thank you again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah yes! now it's clearer! I thought it's the red ones that appear on the program monitor, similar to the orange ones of the Warp stabilizer effects.

Yes you are right, those means that Premiere somehow decided to link different media for some reason. The bad news is that each case in such scenario has it's own solution, there is no real universal solution. And it depends of your workflow, nature of different projects, etc. The good news is that it always has a solution.

So let's move step by step:
1- Right click on any clip with the stripes and reveal in finder. Is the intended clip? or is it a different one?

2- did you proxy your files? did you Interpret footage and changed the Frame rate?

3- Can you create a new project and import the old one to it instead of opening it and saving as? (i.e: "Proj 1" was created on PP 12, when you open it, it asks you save a new version and you save "Proj 2" for PP 13. Create a "Proj test" and import "Proj 1" to it)

4- One thing that you haven't mentioned are the preview files. Can you make sure those are deleted as well? Also, by clearing preferences, you Cache reverted to the default location. Double check that you are indeed deleting all Cache files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I tried a few things and have fixed the problem! Unfortunately, since I tried multiple things, I'm not sure which step(s) actually solved the problem, haha. I hadn't cleared preview files like you suggested, so I made sure to do that. Another big change I made was to offline all the files and then, when linking them via the "Link Media" window, de-selecting "Align Timecode." I kept "Relink others automatically," "Preserve interpret footage settings," and "Use Media Browser to locate files" checked, however. When I re-linked media this way, there were no danger stripes.

It remains to be seen if this is a consistent solution to the issue but I'll be sure to trial it on all of the projects giving me trouble.

To anyone from Adobe looking at this, please consider that the "Align Timecode" option when re-linking media might be causing re-linking errors in Premiere projects that have been upgraded from older versions of Premiere.

​Thanks all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!! All I had to did was deselct align time code. I don't know why that works but it did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My solution - and the CAUSE:
I batch edited the footage interpretation (color settings) and unawarely changed the framerate too (from 25 to 50) - so many clips couldn't fit in the edit - changing the footage (batch) back to its initially framerate (25) solved it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SamW,

Sorry for this frustration.

"Danger Stripes" occur if you ingested the footage without the requisite metadata. If you didn't ingest by copying the entire contents of your CF card to your hard drive and then importing via Media Browser, this can happen. Clips might be identically named, and Premiere Pro cannot discern which clip is which if there is no corresponding metadata.

More info: Importing media files into Premiere Pro 

Hope the info assists you.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin, thanks for your response. Unfortunately, I have imported footage with requisite metadata and this issue seems independent of that. I haven't experienced this issue on any of these projects (regardless of how the footage was imported) until upgrading Premiere versions. While an obvious solution would be to revert to an older version of Premiere, I unfortunately am handling many different projects that span many different versions, not all of which are downloadable anymore (and installing v13.0.1 would supposedly require uninstalling v13.0.2). So, in other words, installing older versions of Premiere to circumvent this issue isn't a sustainable solution for me even though it's proven to be the only solution to the problem I've found thus far.

I really appreciate your response and hope my reply clarifies some details about my situation. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2020 Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

renaming my clips and linking worked for me, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem this morning with the blue barber poles. I closed the project, ejected all the media and then restarted the project. Installed the media and relocated everything again and it came back correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines