Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Delete before IN and after OUT in Original File - DESTRUCTIVE

New Here ,
Oct 23, 2021 Oct 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all, 

I understand the huge advantages of non-destructive editing but in my case I am looking for a way to reduce the huge amount of storage capacity I am using for my (mostly) home videos.

I therefore wanted to cut the original files (cut all unnecessary out) but was not able to find a way to do so in Premiere?

The idea was to open the file in the media browser of premiere, set the IN and OUT point(s) in the Source Monitor and not say something like "Insert to the Timeline" but say then something like "delete all before IN and after OUT" in the source file.

That would be my DESTRUCTIVE and size reducing raw cut more or less.

I did not find support for this idea here in the Help Database, the community or anywhere else in the web? Am I the only one having this issue?

Thank you very much for any idea and/or help!

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 24, 2021 Oct 24, 2021

Try using Shutter Encoder (which is basically a GUI for FFMPEG) which has an option to 'Cut without re-encoding'. Maybe one day we'll get this in Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2021 Oct 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I therefore wanted to cut the original files (cut all unnecessary out) but was not able to find a way to do so in Premiere?

By @HJSTRECKER

The Project Manager in Premiere Pro allows you to do that. 

Copy, consolidate, transcode, and archive your Adobe Premiere Pro project

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2021 Oct 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the very fast reply!

Unfortunately I did not manage to cut the files like I planned as the Project Manager is working on a sequence.

I did not put a sequence together. 

Or am I doing it wrong? I have my files on a NAS and would just like to cut/trim the original file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or am I doing it wrong? I have my files on a NAS and would just like to cut/trim the original file.

By @HJSTRECKER

What kind of files are they, long-GOP files such as mp4/AVCHD or I-frame such as DV, ProRes, CineForm, DNxHD?

Premiere Pro cannot trim long-GOP media but there are other non-Adobe apps that can cut long-GOP media. One of them being TMPGEnc MPEG Smart Renderer 6 (Payware)

This can be good to know. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generally, what you're trying to achieve is an edit of your clips, which you then render out to an intermediate format. Quicktime ProRes 422 generally is a solid codec of choice for this.

After setting the in/out points in the Browser window (you could do this more detailed on the timeline), simply drag each clip onto the New item button (next to the waste bin). This will create a sequence per clip. Adjust the beginning and end and then send it through Media Encoder or direct Export from PPro (CTRL/CMD+M).

When done rendering, re-import the newly created versions. If you're happy with the results, you can archive the source clips to an external drive (alwas better to be safe than sorry) or delete them altogether (if you're bold enough).

Hope this helps.

Richard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dear richard,

thank you very much for the detailed explanation!

so would you say there is no way to avoid the import=>trim=>export step?

I have thousands of videos and I assume 30-40% could be thrown away easily (start and ends). As I cannot edit them all in the near future but would love to reduce the size I thought there might be a way to avoid mor steps than just to cut away the beginning and the end of a file without loosing quality or anything of the original file.

thank you a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using Shutter Encoder (which is basically a GUI for FFMPEG) which has an option to 'Cut without re-encoding'. Maybe one day we'll get this in Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dear mike, thank you very much, Shutter Encoder does exactly what I wanted to do! wohoo!

and it makes a copy, so it is easy and has a backup. great thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another approach is to make Sub-Clips and then send those to Adobe Media Encoder from the Project tab.  When that process is complete, the full clip can be deleted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

dear warren,

thank you very much for this approach as well - I will give this a try! great, thanks really a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines