• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Desaturated Footage inside Timeline

Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this project that I haven't opened in a couple of weeks. 

It's primarily iPhone footage (MOVs native from the phone, haven't been transcoded at all) and AE Alpha graphics. 

I had an adjustment layer over all my footage so I've actually never added any lumetri color to any of these clips. 

The problem is all the color from my files has suddenly been desaturated and blown out.

It looks the same way on and off the timeline.

However, the original footage looks normal. 

So I'm unsure where the problem is. 

There are zero effects on the clip, zero on timeline, and the nspector window looks the same way. 

Opening this project today, I had to convert it to match the new version of Premiere, which is the only thing I can think may have caused this. 

I'm also on an M1 Mac mini.

The footage has the same problem whether on the Silicon Version or the Intel version. 

None of my other projects have this issue. 

I haven't changed anything but perhaps something was changed without my knowing. 

Maybe a color profile? But I don't see it. 

Maybe the way the footage is interpreted? Though why only this project? 

Maybe the iPhone video should be transcoded to ProRes first? But those files are so much bigger. 

Should I create a new project and just import all the footage over again? 

Import a sequence as well? 

I'm not sure if I've ever done that, I feel like I'd lose so much progress.

I have images attached. You can see the difference in how the footage appears in Premiere and how it appears in the Finder Window. 

Thank you!

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 30, 2021 Oct 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dannyb97776087,

Sorry about the poor experience. Please try these steps & check if it helps.

• Right-click on the media file in the Project panel.
  • Select Modify > Interpret Footage.
  • Under Color Management, set Color Space Override to Rec. 709 & click OK.

Let us know if restores the correct preview.

Thanks,

Sumeet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this worked!

Thank you very much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay so it worked but not once I export. 

I'm getting the desaturated look now upon my export. 

Everything looks great on the timeline and in even in the export window. 

I'm exporting Quicktime, AppleProRes422. 

I have before/After photos of the footage. I'm losing color on the export. 

Of the examples here, some footag I Modified and Interpreted to override at Rec709 on some, but others I did not, and the same problem is happening.

Thank you, 

-D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This could be several things. First, if it's Rec.709, I would not expect identical images between within Premiere and not on a Mac, actually. If the Mac's ColorSync uitility is involved, it is not designed to apply correct color managment to Rec.709 files.

Next ... if it's some form of HLG HDR media, then how you export is very crucial to getting the the right metadat in the file for players outside of Premiere. One tiny little slip-up and it will look off.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For all coming to this thread, note the FAQ on this issue just posted:

FAQ: How to fix saturated/over-exposed HLG clips in Premiere Pro v 22?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I'm hoping someone can help me as I've spent hours on the phone with Adobe and the answer they gave me was that the M1 MAC Studio Pro has its own color and kind of does its own thing.  I say BS!!!  So, here's what's happening.  I have a good deal of footage that I shot on the iphone and some on my Canon R5C.  I play the iphone shots on my computer and the footage looks fine.  I import it into Premiere Pro and it completely changes the color and most of it is overexposed.  It looks horrible.  I've done the steps listed above where I change it to REC 709 but it still is off.  I'm noticing a lot of overexposure and I know that's not really true.  Can someone please let me know what I could be doing wrong.  I'm running the Premiere Pro v22.4 (Intel) version - Adobe told me to run this one because of issues with M1 chip.  I need to work on a project, but I certainly can't work like this.  I told Adobe I wanted to speak with a senior technical person but it could take 48 hours before I get a call back.  Another BS answer!!!  

Thanks so much for any help.  It's greatly appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So guessing what you've done ... you went to the clip in the bin, right-click, Modify/Interpret Footage ... and set the Override option to Rec.709, right?

If so you may still need to use the Color workspace and do some tonal/saturation correction.

Understand, you're mixing footage with entirely different color spaces and dynamic range on a single timeline.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - yes I did do that, but it still looks off and overexposed in areas of the footage.  Any suggestions on how to fix that?  Seems like so much work now to do this.  Are the older Intel units having these issues as well, or is it just on the new M1 units?  Also, since I do shoot a lot of footage with iPhone, is there a simpler way to make sure my footage looks good and is useable when importing into Premiere Pro?  I really appreciate any help.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as the iPhone, there's an easy fix. Set it to SDR/Rec.709 and not HLG. Very few screens out there yet actually work well in HDR, you're working in SDR/Rec.709 in your project ... so shoot Rec.709.

As far as the clips you've already got, yea, they were recorded with a far wider dynamic range and a completely different color space than Rec.709. So after interpreting them to Rec.709, you will still need to go to the Color workspace and do some work to get the image within Rec.709 tonal and color ranges.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!  So, for setting up the phone to record SDR/REC 709, do you have the steps to do that?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry - do you know if the Intel units are still having these crazy issues?  It seems to me they keep saying it's hard to fix on the M1 units.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines