Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Different color after importing a footage to Premiere

Explorer ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning.

I've been facing some issues after importing the footage into my Premiere Pro 22.6.2.

The footage imported to Premiere looks over exposed and less saturated, as you can see on the print below.

Screen Shot 2022-10-03 at 09.29.31.png

Please see below the info from the original footage:

Screen Shot 2022-10-03 at 09.31.01.png

Please see below the info from computer (iMac):

Screen Shot 2022-10-03 at 09.32.09.png

I need some help! Please!

Thanks in advance! 😉

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Import , Performance , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just exported the original footage with the Adobe correction LUT (QT Gamma Compensation.cube) and no additional color correction. Please see the result below:

Screen Shot 2022-10-03 at 10.12.56.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please compare with the original footage below:

Screen Shot 2022-10-03 at 10.17.57.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ann! Thanks for your reply!

I've followed the steps on the Karl Soule's video for fixing the colors on Premiere but it didn't work.

Please see the printscreens of my Premiere below:

Screen Shot 2022-10-03 at 11.51.39.png

 

Screen Shot 2022-10-03 at 11.52.09.png

But actually, I see the issue before puting it into my timeline. The footege looks different in the preview monitor as you can see below. The image between the two monitors in Premiere is the original footage:

Screen Shot 2022-10-03 at 11.52.41.png

 

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not set everything to the original color management format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May I ask you how to do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 04, 2022 Oct 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for bugging you Ann, but I need some help for fixing this issue! 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clip, sequence setting and export settings all the same color management.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann, I've tried to do that, but... 

Below you can see my clip's color profile (BT.2020 HLG) from an iPhone 13:

Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 09.38.09.png

Here are my sequence settings (once I don't have the 2020 HLG option I've left the 2100 HLG instead):

Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 09.34.34.png

And when I import a clip to my preview/timeline I see already the issue (the clip color looks different from the source):

Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 09.36.57.png

Here are my exporting settings (I don't have an option for changing the color profile here):

Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 09.40.46.png

And here is the exported version, without any color correction, compared with the source:

Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 10.02.46.png

 

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Carlos,

You're working color space is set to Rec. 2100 HLG in the Sequence Settings. To match that on the export settings, you need to uncheck the checkbox next to Profile, select High10, and set the export color space to Rec 2100 HLG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mind sharing a clip or two with us so we can try to recreate the issue and see how we can help you solve this?

Help us help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Richard!

Just tried to upload a video and I got a message saying that I cannot share videos here, so I've put two clips in a folder on Google Drive:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/186O1Dej7wIV3-3gmHs6aSpyHJgLG7LMw?usp=sharing

Thanks! 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apoligies ... I didn't read all the fine print as well as I should have yesterday.

Ishan is right mostly ... the issue is you used a 'standard' SDR export preset. You can modify that to HLG, but it is normally both faster  and 'safer' to use the HLG presets they've included for HLG exports as that way ALL the proper things are set.

So use an HLG export preset for HLG sequences.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Neil!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Correct me if I'm wrong and apologize me if I'm saying something stupid, but looks like the issue is when I import the files, because even before puting it into a timeline the colors looks tottaly diferent in the preview monitor.

I've never had faced this king of color issue when uploading footage from my Canon DSLR cameras. It has started now when I'm using files from an iPhone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is the result of your iPhone shooting in hdr mode and your canon regular Rec 709.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Richard is spot-on. You're using HLG files mixed with SDR files, which can at times be challenging for professional colorists if trying to then work in an HLG space.

The Rec.709 dynamic range and color volume are much, much smaller than HLG. And it is very difficult to "push" much Rec.709 media into HLG successfully. If it's log-encoded and 10 bit, probably. Straight SDR 10 bit or 8 bit video media ... not so much.

It is far easier to work by using the Override to Rec.709 on the HLG clips in the Project panel, and working in a Rec.709 sequence, exporting to Rec.709.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Neil, sorry if I've not explained correctly: In this project I'm not mixing files from DSLR and iPhone. I'm using files from the iPhone only. I just commented that, in previous projects, I've never had this color issue using the files from the DSLRs. 

So, once I'm using the HLG files from the iPhone only, what should I do for importing it correctly into Premiere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then you can either set the iPhone to Rec.709 ... as they tend to default to HLG ... and work with regular Rec.709 sequences, which is easiest.

Or ... you can select one or more clips in the project panel, right-click/Modify/Interpret Footage, setting the Override option to Rec.709, and use on a sequence with Rec.709 color space settings in the Sequence settings dialog.

Or ... you can work in HLG by making sure your sequence setting is set for working in HLG, that your OS and monitor are set for HLG, and then export in HLG using an HLG preset.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 05, 2022 Oct 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok

Thanks again Neil! 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines