Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Digital film with Flickering

Engaged ,
May 01, 2022 May 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello
The link here is an example of the 8 mm reel film that I had converted to digital. Each reel is 3 minutes 30 seconds. I don't know the term to use so I will say that the film plays with continuous flickering. I do not know the technical term so I use 'flickering' . Possibly spluttering, banding....
If I know the exact term of this annoyance I would renew the google search to seek a solution.

Is there a plug-in that can fix this? Or a special application that can possibly remedy the flicker? 
Let me know how to repair, to fix, the 'flicker" annoyance.
Thanks!!

https://youtu.be/o-NhPMrCRiU

TOPICS
Editing , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , May 01, 2022 May 01, 2022

i'd use after effects for this. you might have a pattern here in which case you can use ae time remapping  java expressions to do some jiggery pokery. or if there isn't a math pattern, you might be able to key off the jumping around and push the opacity to anothe layer below it. i'd also post this in the after effects forum and creative cow after effects expression forum.

is the image getting re-synchonized to the audio and thus re-timing the capture? i'd try to fix the capture first before goin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It look like the registration goes off on the film scan every 8 frames or so, and you get an unregistered image. What way are you converting to digital. Wolverine or such film scanner?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

This non-profit organization had over one hundred super 8 color films that we took to a transfer house. The films were all converted to MOV format. Half of the films were without 'flicker flashes' and the other half were as presented in this thread. This is from Legacy Digital: 

"8mm film with sound stripe attached- Includes synchronizing audio to video delivered in one file-2K Pro Res"

Thanks for the comments....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW: It's cool you have 8mm with sound... fairly rare. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flicker fixing plugins will not help in this instance. What you are seeing is slippage in the gate of either the camera, when the footage was originally filmed (most likely)  or during the telecine transfer.

If you look closely at the flashes you will see it looks like two frames overlayed, overexposed but vertically displaced and blurry.

If you *really* want to save the footage here's one way I'd start. It's long and tedious, will improve the footage but will not be perfect. I did a 5 second test on your footage. See linked video to see what I mean.

https://vimeo.com/705211211/065c9a9a4a 

Put your footage into a 24fps sequence at the native size of the clip. Edit out every frame of slippage. Most of the time (in your case) it's 1 frame but sometimes it's two. Then add a frame hold to the frame prior to the one you removed. Extend this frame to cover the 'hole' from the removed frame(s). Do this for the entire clip or on just the part you need.

Now nest the section of clip you have repaired. Apply the Premiere Pro warp stablilizer plugin to the nest. I used 'No motion' setting, Method = Position and framing set to 'stabalize, crop & auto-scale. You could try other settings.

You can sort of get away with the above method because it appears the original 8MM was probably shot at 18fps anyway ... so adding in an extra frame does not really make it look that bad.

If you really want to get the best from this clip (and want to spend even more time) I'd suggest buying Topaz Video Enhance to recover additional resolution, maybe try some video noise reduction, scale up to 16x9 ... a whole bunch of things. But that all depends on the time and money you have to devote to this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Time and money would be no difficulty knowing that these 1971 films can be reclaimed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

i'd use after effects for this. you might have a pattern here in which case you can use ae time remapping  java expressions to do some jiggery pokery. or if there isn't a math pattern, you might be able to key off the jumping around and push the opacity to anothe layer below it. i'd also post this in the after effects forum and creative cow after effects expression forum.

is the image getting re-synchonized to the audio and thus re-timing the capture? i'd try to fix the capture first before going full steam into post restoration.

good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines