• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DISPLAY HDR ON OLED SCREEN VIA HDMI

Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2022 Sep 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it still necessary to use an AJA T-TAP-Pro or Blackmagic UltraStudio 4K Mini type box to view HDR content in the Premiere timeline on an Oled screen via HDMI?

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@R Neil Haugen 

Neil, I think, has done this. I'm sure he will reply soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it should not be so. With the Pr2022 builds, HDR work is handled by setting the "display color management" option on in the Prefs, setting the Sequence Settings CM to HLG or PQ, and setting your OS and monitor settings to the appropriate HDR settings.

I do recommend reading through both of the FAQs listed below ...

Neil

How to Set Monitors for HDR work in Premiere Pro 2022?

A User Guide: Color Correction in HDR in Premiere 2022

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2022 Sep 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, a complete guide! this is exactly what I needed, thank you! I will read and reread it with great care.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer to my question is not as clear as I would have liked!

The "User Guide: Color Correction in HDR in Premiere 2022" says yes for an AJA or Blackmagic type box. In some conversations, you also said yes or no a few months earlier. In short, I understand that it is "better" but not essential. In any case I have not finished analyzing everything you say but I revel in your explanations.

Well very concretely I have just bought an LG OLED C2 55 "that I connect with a basic USB-C / HDMI adapter on my macbook or my Mac Studio and I have activated all the HDR options in Premiere Pro. On the other hand the OLED is not not recognized as HDR in my mac's preferences. Is this a problem? Would the recommended Belkin USB-C to HDMI adapter change this?

Franck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not experienced with the Mac OS, nor the various adapters used to get say HDR "seen" by various screens. That can be very detailed and specific to devices.

What HDR forms does your monitor support? And what HDR forms does the Mac OS "feed" proper data to?

The first you would need to answer, the second, maybe @Warren Heaton could help with.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok thank you I will ask him the question. The LG Oled C2 screen is compatible with HDR 10, HDR HLG and HDR Dynamic tone mapping.

Franck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 26, 2022 Sep 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would go with one of two adapters that are officially recommended by Apple in their support documentation:

Play HDR video on Mac

This article also has troubleshooting steps if the High Dynamic Range option is not available in the macOS Displays System Preferences.

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I ordered one of the adapters recommended by Apple, we'll see. But what is disturbing is that even directly on the HDMI socket of my Mac Studio, no HDR on the Oled screen (whereas if I watch the same HDR video on Youtube directly on the screen app, HDR works well).

Franck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I'm "around" (web-speaking) a fair number of colorists daily, there is a constant discussion over HDR via X issues.

And at times, it gets down to such specifics such as

"If you have X OS, and this BM card, and that monitor, you have to use this specific HDMI/HDMI pass through device as it's the only one that actually removes/instates Y data so Z screen's HDR modes become active."

But of course, with a different screen/card/OS/whatever, it might be a different part you need to add or remove. Or driver, or ...

HDR is not quite as ubiquitous and reliable as we would all like at this point.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know about the hidden menu for the LG c2 that forces the TV to hdr. I'm on my phone at the moment so I can't look up the details but a Google search should come  up  with  something. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unbelievable ! I indeed managed to read HDR on the Oled with this hidden menu! So thank you very much! But why are they doing this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines