• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DJI Mavic Air clips are freezing/lagging/choppy when exported

Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just finished a job of 6 videos & on the 2nd set of revisions every single drone clip is acting up in premiere & when exported. The clip freezes/lags/chops & I do not know why, I've tried so many different things. Using different clips, changing export settings, nothing seems to fix it. HELP

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good evening,

Have these clips ever been able to playback on your computer, or is this a new behavior?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They playback perfectly fine as the original clip opened in media player on windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the same issues as well. I have no idea how to fix the lagging/freezing clips. Have you been able to resolve the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they're drone clips ... typically H.264/265 ... those are some of the nastiest media to work with in an NLE. On some systems, you really need to transcode to an editing codec. Like ProRes 422, DNxHD/R, or Cineform. Or at least, make ProRes, DNx, or Cineform proxies.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2022 Jun 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for your help! Got the same issue for a few days since i updated Premiere Pro - do you know if there is any quality loss if i open them with Media Encoder?
Maybe i understand this wrong but isnt it the same like rendering a video??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I did to fix it is;

open Adobe Media Encoder

on the right side of the program there is a 'Queue' of files to encode

drag & drop the files that are choppy, aka your drone media files 

& hit the green play button to run the encoder.

I didn't change any settings, im using the stock settings & these encoded files worked smoothly on my Premiere timeline!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey D,

Sounds like you transcoded the files back to H.264. I'm still a little confused, though, I thought you already exported them and couldn't play them back. Are you saying you exported these outputs a second time and then they worked? Sorry if I'm not understanding.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I said exported in my original post I meant exported as in exported Media as a saved video.

I am not encoding the original clips before dropping them onto my project timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2021 Oct 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This helped me fix the issue! I ran those files through Media Encoder and it fixed the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for your help! Got the same issue for a few days since i updated Premiere Pro - do you know if there is any quality loss if i open them with Media Encoder?
Maybe i understand this wrong but isnt it the same like rendering a video??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The media created by the crafty drone merchants is amazing for how slickly they can compress data while also cutting down time to write that data in the drone.

Because they have a specialized chip that does the encoding ... that drone does NOT "compute" the file through a CPU type device.

However, unless you have the exact opposite device to decode it within your computer, decoding that data is a right bear. Sometimes, if you have the right gear in your computer, using the Premiere preferences to "enable hardware decoding" can help with playback.

That isn't anything whatever to do with the GPU use, btw ... it's simply telling Premiere that if there is an H.264/5 decoder chip in the computer, make sure to find and use that for playback.

Not all computers by any means have the right bits for various H.264/long-GOP encoding/decoding needs. I work with and teach a lot of pro colorists ... who have computers running typically $15,000 and UP for cost ... monster machines. Most of their machines don't handle much of the drone/mirrorless/DSLR H.264/5 clips well.

At that point, one accepts the lousy playback, or one makes proxies that DO play back decently of say Cineform or ProRes or a DNx variant. The proxy files will be much larger on disc but typically play back much better.

Or the other option ... simply to do the time-honored video-post practice of making digital intermediate files. Transcodes ... to an intraframe codec like Cineform, ProRes, or DNx, at a high enough Q that you don't lose any visual quality. And use the t-codes/DI files for the edit.

You should be able to go several generations of DI files if done properly before seeing any degradation ... this is used in the "long-form" major movie business all the time. In fact, many colorists when getting mirrorless/drone/DSLR files routinely t-code those to a better DI/editing file as part of the conform process taking the project into their grading app.

And as the files are much larger than the originals, and can be recreated from the originals at any time, there's no need to keep the t-codes/DI files after the project is completed.

So it's the type of task that MediaEncoder is built for, either using the queue to 'hold' the encoding until you're leaving for lunch or overnight so it doesn't interrupt your workflow. Or using watch folders ... you have a folder system set for this in Me. Drag/drop files into a watched folder, Me auto-starts, makes the t-codes/DI files, and puts them in the specificed output folder.

Then when you are ready, you drag/drop the files from the output folder to the project media folder. You don't waste time on it either way.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You put the drone clips into media encoder?? How do I fix my choppy footage after export?!?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you explain a little more? Was it choppy to view in Premiere, or only choppy in a player after export? What?

The more details the better help we can give. What's the original media, what effects if any did you use in Premiere, what export settings ... anything else that might help. Including your computer specs.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It was a little choppy in premiere on the timeline and then after export is was extremely choppy and most of the drone clips were just a freeze frame. Shot with dji air 2s and I only added color to the footage, exported at maximum depth h.264 and high bitrate. I am using a MacBook Pro m1 with 16gb ram and 256gb storage, I've never had this problem with my drone footage before, it is choppy in premiere and after I export!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines