• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does Premiere Pro recognise vertically shot raw footage?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm new to Premiere pro and I have a question I can't find the answer to that works.

I have to shoot raw footage in portrait orientation and when the footage is imported and exported the frame has black panels on each side of the image area. Depending on the original raw format (MOV, MP4, Video/Cine), the imported footage is displayed in PP either correctly oriented, (i.e. as shot), or rotated at 90º.

My questions are:

-is it possible to have PP recognise the raw footage as having been shot vertically and not have the black panels in the exported project, therefore saving on file size. It seems to me that PP can't determine vertical raw footage is being imported and therefore adds the black panels, resulting in the orginal footage being downsized.

-if that is not possible, is it possible to crop the entire project like it's a still image?

I'd really appreciate any tips

TOPICS
Editing , Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

did you update to the latest version of premiere pro? (concerning auto rotate bug)

drag footage from the project panel to the "New Item" icon and you will

get a sequence matching the footage settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor , Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Right  click on the footage. Select "New Sequence from Clip". Presto, you have a vertical sequence with the correct dimensions (that is, the same dimensions as your source clip).

Now, Select the Sequence in the Project Window and rename it.

Then, go up to the Menu Bar and do "Sequence/Sequence Settings", and revel in all the information about the Sequence you just created.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try making a sequence with the correct portrait dimensions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you update to the latest version of premiere pro? (concerning auto rotate bug)

drag footage from the project panel to the "New Item" icon and you will

get a sequence matching the footage settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right  click on the footage. Select "New Sequence from Clip". Presto, you have a vertical sequence with the correct dimensions (that is, the same dimensions as your source clip).

Now, Select the Sequence in the Project Window and rename it.

Then, go up to the Menu Bar and do "Sequence/Sequence Settings", and revel in all the information about the Sequence you just created.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the hot tip. I knew it must have been easy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines