• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Drag Audio into the timeline at specific Volume

Explorer ,
Jan 29, 2022 Jan 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I film and edit a repair videos and I do a lot of close up shots and far wide shots. All the clips are at 0db Volume when I bring them into the timeline. However I end up with a lot of mixed up clips on my timeline after editing, but generally my far wide shots need to be at -8db Vol and the close up shots about -3db Vol. To do this I have to go into all the clips manually and change the volumes which takes a lot of time. It would be much easier if I could set the volume of the clips in the file project window (on the original clips) so that when I drag them in to the timeline they would already be set at the volumes I need. Is there a way of doing this? I know with video you can do this for colour grading by adding a Lumetri edit on the source clip, but I can't find a way of doing this for audio, can it be done? Thanks in advance

TOPICS
Audio , Editing , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 29, 2022 Jan 29, 2022

It would be much easier if I could set the volume of the clips in the file project window (on the original clips) so that when I drag them in to the timeline they would already be set at the volumes I need. Is there a way of doing this?

By @Titan555

Select clips in the project window, rightclick and set the gain in one go.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be much easier if I could set the volume of the clips in the file project window (on the original clips) so that when I drag them in to the timeline they would already be set at the volumes I need. Is there a way of doing this?

By @Titan555

Select clips in the project window, rightclick and set the gain in one go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ann,

Thank you for your response. I tried this and lowered the gain of the clip in the project window and yes it does lower the volume when you drag the clip into the timeline, although in the Effect Controls panel it still shows as 0db volume even though the audio gain of the clip has been reduced to -8 in the project window, is there a way of the effects control panel showing the value it has been reduced by as it would be easier to track my clip volumes that way? otherwise I may just have to put the clips on different audio tracks and adjust all together by selecting them all. I have a lot of videos to edit and just trying to find the best and quickest workflow.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if your clips with the lower volume are from different source files than those with the higher volume, you can search for those clip names in the timeline and move them all to a higher video track and then fix one clips audio level, copy it and then select all the rest of the clip in that video track and "paste attributes."   I've simplifield the steps involved so if any of this is not clear, post back and I'll go in to more detail...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and yeah, frankly, I avoid adjusting gain unless the volume of the source clip cannot be raised sufficiently just adjusting the level.    Just keeps things simpler and if I remember correctly, if you're sending your audio to another program for audio mixing, gain adjustments do not transfer...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 30, 2022 Jan 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Yes I think I may have to use different audio tracks. and as you say copy and paste the attributes, I may even colour the clips differently according to what volumes I need. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the clips happen to need the same adjustment, you could boost the MIxTrack in the Sequence (formerlly called Master Track Audio).

Or, the Left Bracket ([) and Rigth Bracket (]) can be used to lower or raise an audio clips levels you advance throught the Timeline.

Or, you could batch normalize the clips in Adobe Audtition.  Be mindful of how you approach this as it's a destructive edit (that is, the audio file is changed up saving it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 30, 2022 Jan 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks warren for your suggestions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines